• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    North of the MD border...
    Alright, I tried searching the Forum, but for some reason the search feature doesn't want to work on my work computer.

I am hoping to move in the next month or so, and along with that move comes my gun safe. Myself and a friend put it in my basement, coming close several times to killing one another, so I am not looking forward to bringing it out.

I don't have a walk-out basements, so we have to back up stairs, ugh, and out the front door. So like I said, having almost killed myself when working with gravity to get it down, I don't want work against it.

I was wondering who you all might have used, and what kind of cost I am looking at? I am in Southern York county, just over the MD/PA line. I know A-1 Safes in Bel Air offers moving services, and I will hopefully be giving them a call today. I am only, hopefully moving within 10 miles of where I currently live, but it will probably have to back down in a basement.

Below is a link the almost the exact safe I have, but it's roughly 60"H x 30" W x 25" D and 500ish lbs.
    http://www.libertysafe.com/safe-revere-safes-ps-8.html?tab=specs

Thanks in advance for an insight!

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Only time I ever helped someone move a safe, we had a heavy duty dolly used for moving things up stairs (belt rollers on back side) and once we got it strapped down and out into the cellar way (outside stairs), I used my ATV to winch it up to street level.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    I have one of these safes as well....have some recommended movers, will get info when I get home and pass it to you.....got it from a neighbor who used the company to move their safe from Baltimore to DE.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Continental will do it. They moved mine about when I moved. It was no easy task either. No idea of what they would charge though. It aint cheap. It was worth every penny for no one to get hurt.
    There are also a couple of members here who are in the safe business.

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    I second the vote to sell it with the house and buy a new one. You can figure at least three times the effort to get it up and out versus getting it down. You would have some delay enjoying your new house if you're in the hospital. Consider the cost to hire someone competent to move it versus the cost of a new safe.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    The list price is $1,289. I haven't done any safe shopping in a while but lets say you could get it for $900. Can it really be cheaper to leave it in the old house and buy a new one, instead of having it moved?

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    This safe was delivered using a Step Rider stair climbing hand truck.

REF: http://handtrucks2go.com/Steprider-1800-Stairclimbing-Hand-Truck.html

It literally walks the safe up or down the stairs.
    I wouldn't attempt doing this myself, however.

Combo1.jpg

Attachments

• StepRider.jpg
      StepRider.jpg
      39 KB · Views: 351

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I'd call A-1 Safes as you mentioned. He has all the needed equipment, stair climber etc to do it right. I know he is cheaper than Cont Arms.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Subscribed.

I'd lean toward selling with house. Make a great selling point and everyone should have a safe in their home anyway. Any buyer should be thrilled that there is a safe already there and they don't have to move or install. I'd much prefer buying a home with a safe than a swimming pool or fireplace, etc.

Just think one accident moving that safe will cost way more than the value of the safe itself. If you do move it do it right and pay the professionals.

DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    North of the MD border...
    Thanks for the responses! I have definitely considered selling it with the house. If someone where to ask, I would put some thought into it.

I paid around $800 for the safe, so depending on cost it would be worth leaving. Especially because coming to the top of my basement stairs is a small landing, and you to turn the safe on the landing to get it out the door. So that and going back up stairs is why I don't want to do it myself.

I am hoping to give A-1 a call this week, I will keep those that are interested posted on costs.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I used a rented stair climber to move a 509lb safe up about 15 steps by myself. It was a different model than shown in the pics posted above, but it worked fine. They also had a larger unit rated up to 1500lbs, but the 1000lb model was fine. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND DOING IT BY YOURSELF. Have an extra person or two and you will be fine. Make sure the steps will handle 500lbs plus 3 people.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Thanks OP, and yes, I'd be interested in the final cost. I just can't get my head around paying $??? for moving an $800 safe that is already in perfect position in the basement. I would't wait for them to offer you anything to leave it, I'd add it to the 'features' list and sell it as a package. Having a safe delivered, even if moved down stairs is much easier and safer.

I've posted images of some safe carrier/crawler thing before, if you do move it, that's the second best thing to do other than paying a professional.

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    Well that's you problem,it was only two of you. Get a couple more dudes to help. I have no recommendations for a mover. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom