• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    John Pedersen is rolling over in his grave with what they've done to his elegant and reliable original design....

Boneuphtoner

Feb 8, 2016
    MoCo
    Supposed to come out August 12th and when they start to show up in Maryland stores I will have to handle one. But just curious about roster stuff as well

My only experience with the MD roster is a 5 month delay from initial release. I was interested in the Ruger American Pistol. Released in December 2015, not on the roster until May 15, 2016 :mad54:

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I've got the fix for the R51. Remington should sell the design to SigSauer or HK. They , bigR, don't have a engineering team worth a crap. I will say the pistol looks great and could be a winner with a different company. I think that the new one would have issues with those loose gen1 mags; but why would they change those at all?

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I've got the fix for the R51. Remington should sell the design to SigSauer or HK. They , bigR, don't have a engineering team worth a crap. I will say the pistol looks great and could be a winner with a different company. I think that the new one would have issues with those loose gen1 mags; but why would they change those at all?

Translation: Remington should stay away from making pistols, since they obviously aren't capable. And you're right. Properly made, this would sell.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Given the abysmal failure that was Gen1, I wouldn't go anywhere near Gen2 until it's been proven solid for years, at least 3-5 years. No point in lusting after what might be another turd when there are plenty of proven, high-quality choices in the market.

I think they actually look cool - however ^^^^ sounds like good advice

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I call Handgun Roster lady, she say R51 is on agenda. If approved available late October or November.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    Resurrecting an old thread.... American Rifleman this month has a positive review of the new R51. I really like the lines on this, sort of a modern retro something or other. I nearly had a chance to shoot the Gen 1 before the recall; glad I didn't jump on a 'deal' offered. Didn't purchase because of the issues. Any IP have one on hand??? Would love to fondle one.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Resurrecting an old thread.... American Rifleman this month has a positive review of the new R51. I really like the lines on this, sort of a modern retro something or other. I nearly had a chance to shoot the Gen 1 before the recall; glad I didn't jump on a 'deal' offered. Didn't purchase because of the issues. Any IP have one on hand??? Would love to fondle one.

I wouldn't trust a review from any magazine. Esp.one the gets truck loads of money from a manufacturer. Be patient, real reviews will come out soon. Looking back, no mag gave it a bad review the last time x2.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    I wouldn't trust a review from any magazine. Esp.one the gets truck loads of money from a manufacturer. Be patient, real reviews will come out soon. Looking back, no mag gave it a bad review the last time x2.

I concur completely. Remington has gone through some hard times; don't know whether they are 'back' yet. I've seen several positive reviews of the R51 recently, so perhaps, maybe, quite possibly, a consensus is beginning to build. In any event, I won't lay down my money without an opportunity to try one. But is sure is purrrty :-)

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I concur completely. Remington has gone through some hard times; don't know whether they are 'back' yet. I've seen several positive reviews of the R51 recently, so perhaps, maybe, quite possibly, a consensus is beginning to build. In any event, I won't lay down my money without an opportunity to try one. But is sure is purrrty :-)

Saw article as well. Out of room now though.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    AFAIK. Handgun roster board is a agency in Maryland state police that approves new handguns for sale in the state. A new gun has to be submitted and approved to them before it can be sold. I think any cosmetic or features change has to be resubmitted. What a Free state! See sticky at page one of this sub- forum.

Is there a specific and objective criteria to be listed on the roster?

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Is there a specific and objective criteria to be listed on the roster?

Just another hurdle. But, I think I has a purpose. Trying to keep Saturday night specials off the street. Being made out of cheap metals is one and having little too no safety features. I not totally sure.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Saw one yesterday. Slide is really easy to rack, I like the unique operation of gun too. Unfortunately the first time I tried to dry fire it, nothing. The sales person knew right away why I couldn't fire it, and told me about the grip safety. I asked if I was the only person this has happened to, and he assured me no. They have made the grip safety fairly stiff, and web of your hand really has to be pushed in to actuate it. I have never had an issue with a 1911 type safety grip, they pivot from top and will actuate with grip lower, via palm. Though it is something I could consciously remedy , I'd hate to have to depend on it if used for self defense. Draw the gun quickly and forget to have a death hold in to it , then not firing. Note the grip safety up high. It is a deep grip up where it actuates.
    The web of my hand was up there, but not pushed in hard enough when I first tried.

R51-default_1.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom