• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    I made mine out of two 5 gallon buckets filled with cement and a PVC tube placed in the middle.

I just stick furring strips into the PVC tube and put some cardboard or old plywood across them.

With the two buckets I can make the target as wide or small as I want. plus its easy to transport them if need be.

I keep them on an old garden cart so I can wheel my target around anywhere in my backyard to shoot.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I make them out of 10 feet of 2x4 (cut into 2ft pieces), and 2 furring strips. I use 2 1/2 drywall screws to hold them together. They cost about $4 to make. they come apart easily to transport. They do not blow over easily either.

Attachments

• ts1.jpg
      ts1.jpg
      52.7 KB · Views: 357
    • ts2.jpg
      ts2.jpg
      52 KB · Views: 354

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    Used PVC tubing on mine. Created a rectangular base with 2 stands on outside that hold furring strips. It's 3 pieces total and weighs very little. Use staple gun to stick cardboard to furring strip. It hold up very well in the wind. I've seen wooden stands fall while mine stayed standing. Cheap!

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    The 2x4 and furring strip design is the way to go.
    Cheap, portable and easy to adjust for width.
    Very inexpensive to replace the standards if they get shot up.

If you want the dee-luxe model, paint the base or spring for a PT 2x4.
    Otherwise, make one out of scrap for $2 in furring strips.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    The PVC frame is the best, IMO. Lightweight, breaks down and builds up easy. No worries about splinters, shards, or other mess. If you don't have a pickup truck, it's a blessing.

I built mine which stands 6' tall (many ranges require the center of your target to be 4' above ground) for less than $8 at Home Depot using 1" pipe and a few T's and elbows. Some people use the 2" or larger pipe, it just isn't necessary. If it's really windy, I'll put a weight plate or sandbag on the base. Could possibly use a tent stake on softer ground. You could also fill the base with sand or cement, and cap it for weight.

I attach my targets using a few strips of duct tape, so there's no metal downrange.

I've hit an upright with a .22WMR before, and it went right through. Didn't have to replace the upright, but if I did, it would have cost about $0.80.

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    Yup very cheap...took a friend out yesterday and my friend shot the hell out of the furring strip. Couple bucks to replace and that's it.

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    made mine out of pvc, filled part of the base with concrete,use furring strips for uprights. I can break it down and carry it all, including cardboard backer in one trip with 2 hands, and it fits in the trunk or backseat of my car, no problems. Total weight about 25lbs. Wind hasn't been a problem either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom