• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Just received an e-mail from Gail Bates' office regarding state laws being proposed by our Howard County constituents coming up this General Assembly session. There is going to be a meeting regarding them on November 29th. One proposal includes deer hunting on Sunday. Somewhat limited, and the bow hunting section at the very end can use some better drafting, but this is something you guys in Howard County should review and testify about on the 29th if you want Sunday hunting in Howard County. After dinner I am going to edit the last paragraph regarding the safety zone and send it back to Senator Bates' office in an attempt to make that a lot less confusing.

https://www.howardcountymd.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=_iA4ipA_fRU=&portalid=0

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    In Howard, it should be 50 yds like Montgomery County. They just did this, and it works great. No good reason not to mirror Montgomery county.

I do not see the point of the paragraph "II"
    IN HOWARD COUNTY,AN ARCHERY HUNTER MAY HUNT ANY WILD BIRD OR MAMMAL WITHIN 100TO 150YARDS OF A DWELLING HOUSE,9RESIDENCE,CHURCH,OR ANY OTHER BUILDING OR CAMP OCCUPIED BY HUMAN BEINGS UNDER PARAGRAPH (3)(II)OF THIS SUBSECTION ONLY ON LAND THAT IS 11USED AS PART OF A MANAGED HUNT CONDUCTEDIN COORDINATION WITH THE HOWARD COUNTY RECREATION AND PARKS DEPARTMENT

Is this supposed to mirror I, regarding the use of a treestand??

The safety zone should improvement should not merely apply to manged hunts. As far as I know in MoCo, it applies everywhere. And if it only applies to managed hunts, even more reason to cut it to 50 yards (bow hunters are qualified under rigorous HoCo archery standards).

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    In Howard, it should be 50 yds like Montgomery County. They just did this, and it works great. No good reason not to mirror Montgomery county.

I do not see the point of the paragraph "II"

Is this supposed to mirror I, regarding the use of a treestand??

The safety zone should improvement should not merely apply to manged hunts. As far as I know in MoCo, it applies everywhere. And if it only applies to managed hunts, even more reason to cut it to 50 yards (bow hunters are qualified under rigorous HoCo archery standards).

If you read the entire thing, what I think they are trying to say is that the safety zone becomes 100 yards for archery hunters when archery hunters are participating in a hunt on land where a managed hunt is being conducted in coordination with the Howard County Recreation and Parks Department.

Seems pretty ridiculous to me all the way around. Seems even more pathetic that Howard County is becoming worse than Montgomery County with the gun and hunting regs.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I was actually shocked when they pushed through 50 yards for MoCo. I thought for sure they'd try out 100 or 75 first. They did push through this weird thing where lost injured deer have to be reported to the police or something. It was a small cave to the animals rights terrorists. Wouldn't want bambi running through the woods with an arrow sticking out.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Did you know...its illegal to shoot a squirrel out of a tree in MoCo?...I was in the DNR office at Gwenbrook and an officer there told me.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Did you know...its illegal to shoot a squirrel out of a tree in MoCo?...I was in the DNR office at Gwenbrook and an officer there told me.

shoot a squirrel out of a tree or shoot a squirrel from a tree?

Honestly, the first makes sense. People think that the bullet will stop in the squirrel, many times it doesn't... or you miss, even worse.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    shoot a squirrel out of a tree or shoot a squirrel from a tree?

Honestly, the first makes sense. People think that the bullet will stop in the squirrel, many times it doesn't... or you miss, even worse.

Both of you are confusing the heck out of me.

Is it illegal for a hunter to shoot a squirrel that is in a tree?

Is it illegal for a hunter in a tree stand to shoot at a squirrel, whether the squirrel is in a tree or on the ground?

Can't believe we are even discussing this. Whether shooting a squirrel that is in a tree makes sense, depends on the weapon being used. With a shotgun or pellet gun, not a big deal. Kind of like shooting a bird flying through the air. With a rifle, that is a big problem, even out in the country. Probably a bad idea with a bow too because that arrows carries a huge amount of kinetic energy as it comes back down to earth.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    my biggest foe are those 4 legged large brown animals wearing steel shoes. aka horse people. please oh please keep your horses away from where I'm at.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    "Horse People" are funny. They have money so they pay people to mow the weeds in Patapsco off driver road, so they can ride their horses. As far as I can tell, every one I've spoken to wants deer hunting, the deer bother the horses. Just not on Sunday. Sunday is for horses and God, or something. Or maybe projects. Paid for by Moms Who Demand Family Time With Husbands.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    "Horse People" are funny. They have money so they pay people to mow the weeds in Patapsco off driver road, so they can ride their horses. As far as I can tell, every one I've spoken to wants deer hunting, the deer bother the horses. Just not on Sunday. Sunday is for horses and God, or something. Or maybe projects. Paid for by Moms Who Demand Family Time With Husbands.

Those moms can going hunting on Sunday too. Better yet, use the horses to haul the deer out of the woods.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    lol - the horse people are all around where you live. Don't have many over here.

Personally, I don't care f they are horse people, as long as they are not "horse people".

I hunt public land, so I deal. That said, I’ve had them screw up hunts a couple of times riding through and pushing deer away.

Yeah, I’d push for a 100yd safety zone or preferably 50yds for bows. Maybe 100yds for bows and 50 if from a tree stand?

Anyway to clarify since state would over rule county that the HoCo 300yd safety zone thing is BS and put it back to 150? And eleiminate a safety zone for low powered pellet guns (something like pellet guns of .177 caliber or smaller and a muzzle velocity of less than 700fps are exempt from safety zones).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    lol - the horse people are all around where you live. Don't have many over here.

Personally, I don't care f they are horse people, as long as they are not "horse people".

Only part that bothers me is horse people sometimes bring their dogs with them and are always lacking a leash. Said dogs I’ve observed many times chasing deer. Also horse folks I guess make a lot of noise when riding because they seem to yell to each other even though they are riding 5 yards apart. Which seems odd as I can hear their conversations at 200yds clearly.

Not sure on the last impact on deer (unless of course they ride through near me), but even if I was just hiking around it would kind of ruin my enjoyment of the great outdoors with people riding around the woods making the kind of racket they do. I’ve literally heard some ATVs at low speed that were less noisy.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Only part that bothers me is horse people sometimes bring their dogs with them and are always lacking a leash. Said dogs I’ve observed many times chasing deer. Also horse folks I guess make a lot of noise when riding because they seem to yell to each other even though they are riding 5 yards apart. Which seems odd as I can hear their conversations at 200yds clearly.

Not sure on the last impact on deer (unless of course they ride through near me), but even if I was just hiking around it would kind of ruin my enjoyment of the great outdoors with people riding around the woods making the kind of racket they do. I’ve literally heard some ATVs at low speed that were less noisy.

It is very hard to enjoy the great outdoors in solitude around here. Just way too many people in way too small of a space. Plain and simple. So, we have to try our best to get along with each other.

I cannot ride my bicycle on the road without encountering 100+ vehicles per ride. Very rare day to hit the MTB trails and not run into people jogging and riding on them at the same time. I have only hunted public land once, and it was pouring, so I was the only one out there. Private farms about the only way to go with any type of solitude, and even then, there are usually other hunters out there with you.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Both of you are confusing the heck out of me.

Is it illegal for a hunter to shoot a squirrel that is in a tree?

Is it illegal for a hunter in a tree stand to shoot at a squirrel, whether the squirrel is in a tree or on the ground?

Can't believe we are even discussing this. Whether shooting a squirrel that is in a tree makes sense, depends on the weapon being used. With a shotgun or pellet gun, not a big deal. Kind of like shooting a bird flying through the air. With a rifle, that is a big problem, even out in the country. Probably a bad idea with a bow too because that arrows carries a huge amount of kinetic energy as it comes back down to earth.

Sorry,didnt mean to hijack the thread.I will make this quick.The DNR officer and I were discussing some stupid hunting laws in Md.One topic was the law against Sunday hunting.This was years ago before any was allowed.She then says"You want to hear another stupid law?In MoCo,if a squirrel is up a tree,you are not allowed to shoot it."I thought it was a joke,but its a law.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    How many people have shot a squirrel that wasn't in a tree?

The worst part of the HoCo horse brigade is that they blow air horns. I'll never forget the first time I encountered them. I heard the air horns and was wondering what the heck was going on. Then they came over the hill wearing red coats like they're part of the imperial British army from 1760. After the 30 horses and 50 dogs ran past me, I sat there in shock for about 20 minutes and then went home. Seems to me they should be the ones confined to private land. Deer hunting is the opposite of a disruptive activity. It's all about being quiet and not bothering anyone or anything.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    How many people have shot a squirrel that wasn't in a tree?

Several times when they were raiding my corn pile. 22LR or Crossbow

When in a tree, I have used a shotgun, but once hit one with a crossbow.

The reg is rather ridiculous. I can't recall where, but called up to hunt public land and said 22LR fine for groundshots otherwise use shotgun with #7 or smaller.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Public hearing:

Public Hearing on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 7:30 p.m in the
    Banneker Room, George Howard Building - 3430 Courthouse Drive, Ellicott
    City, Maryland.

Howard County residents may testify for up to 3 minutes, as long as they
    are signed up.

Signup will begin at 7pm in the Banneker Room and will close at 7:20pm.
    Advance sign up is not available.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Whereas that's some of the dumbest stuff I ever read.
    Refrigerating deer carcasses prior to disposal? Lyme disease and ag damage?
    Are they on drugs? Did I read that correctly?
    If that's a win being able to hunt on your own property till 10:30 am on their terms to reduce auto claims that's ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom