• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Asking for a friend, no really...

I already had my HQL when i applied for my CCW. A friend of mine is asking if you need the HQL before CCW or if they can be done at the same time.

Moreover, can the same livescan id be used for both forms assuming they are both submitted in the unrealistic short period that livescan ids are valid?

in the big picture, it saves time and about $75 or so to do them together.. as long as it's not going to cause a denial of CCW simply because they didn't process the HQL soon enough.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Asking for a friend, no really...

I already had my HQL when i applied for my CCW. A friend of mine is asking if you need the HQL before CCW or if they can be done at the same time.

Moreover, can the same livescan id be used for both forms assuming they are both submitted in the unrealistic short period that livescan ids are valid?

in the big picture, it saves time and about $75 or so to do them together.. as long as it's not going to cause a denial of CCW simply because they didn't process the HQL soon enough.

Get your wear and carry permit first. The HQL is then free when you get it after.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Get your wear and carry permit first. The HQL is then free when you get it after.

So you wont be denied the ccw because you dont have the HQL?

i would have thought that the peoples republic of maryland required the HQL then the CCW for people getting ccw post introduction of hql.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    So you wont be denied the ccw because you dont have the HQL?

i would have thought that the peoples republic of maryland required the HQL then the CCW for people getting ccw post introduction of hql.

The HQL is only required to purchase a firearm (unless exempt). Not needed for receiving the W&C permit. As others stated, if you are doing both, do the W&C first. Then on the HQL application, you choose "permit holder" or something like that and it goes right through. No fingerprints or anything.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    The HQL is only required to purchase a firearm (unless exempt). Not needed for receiving the W&C permit. As others stated, if you are doing both, do the W&C first. Then on the HQL application, you choose "permit holder" or something like that and it goes right through. No fingerprints or anything.

The exemption came up in our topics too... how does a gun dealership know if you're exempt or not? I was exempt but still had to get finger printed to get the card (pre ccw). i didn't have to do the live shooting though.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    The exemption came up in our topics too... how does a gun dealership know if you're exempt or not? I was exempt but still had to get finger printed to get the card (pre ccw). i didn't have to do the live shooting though.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

there are training exempt HQL's and HQL exempt. The former requires fingerprint/HQL and the second usualy provides some other identification as required by law. Military ID is the one that comes to mind of the top of my head.

Bigfoot21075

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2008
    Elkridge, MD
    there are training exempt HQL's and HQL exempt. The former requires fingerprint/HQL and the second usualy provides some other identification as required by law. Military ID is the one that comes to mind of the top of my head.

I thought the 16hr Carry class was considered a substitute for the HQL?

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014

AHhh this makes sense. military id, ffl .. thingy.. whatever thats called. Okay. DAMNIT.. why do they have to make things hard to understand. English is hard enough!

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I thought the 16hr Carry class was considered a substitute for the HQL?

and see.. here i was told that the HQL could count as 4 hours toward the ccw course but it's "safer" to just take 16 hours dedicated to ccw anyway.

good thing these things are clear and consistent! *sarcasm*

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    I thought the 16hr Carry class was considered a substitute for the HQL TRAINING?

Did you mean the correction above? The W&C class exceeds all of the requirements of the HQL training, so I think it can be substituted. Taking the W&C class does not absolve one from needing a HQL directly. if you get a W&C you get to pass go and collect the HQL for free(one set of fingerprints and only W&C permit fee).

Bigfoot21075

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2008
    Elkridge, MD
    Did you mean the correction above? The W&C class exceeds all of the requirements of the HQL training, so I think it can be substituted. Taking the W&C class does not absolve one from needing a HQL directly. if you get a W&C you get to pass go and collect the HQL for free(one set of fingerprints and only W&C permit fee).

Actually THANKS Rab - you cleared it up.... So you still need the HQL with W&C but it is the easy track, just apply and wait.

No they will not count HQL time toward your W&C class time. Whew getting to be an expensive state.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Actually THANKS Rab - you cleared it up.... So you still need the HQL with W&C but it is the easy track, just apply and wait.

No they will not count HQL time toward your W&C class time. Whew getting to be an expensive state.

You ONLY need the HQL to PURCHASE a handgun.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Keep in mind that you don't need an HQL to carry. If you purchased a handgun before 10/1/13 you can carry it. Or your wife or girlfriends gun, etc....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Keep in mind that you don't need an HQL to carry. If you purchased a handgun before 10/1/13 you can carry it. Or your wife or girlfriends gun, etc....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AHHH! more sauce for the mixer!

this.. is a good point actually...

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    You need the W&C class to apply for the permit. The training program we're running at Sanners Lake addresses both W&C and HQL requirements.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    You need the W&C class to apply for the permit. The training program we're running at Sanners Lake addresses both W&C and HQL requirements.

similar info to what others have said, with supporting credentials... or a sales pitch.

that being said, i know another guy that does the HWL and MD/W&C and he also says the same as you. need one before the other.

when in doubt.. call MDSP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom