• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    ...At least according to this article, which based on some of its "facts", I'm not so sure is entirely reliable.

They are: USA, Mexico, Guatemala.

I was a little surprised (but again, not sure how accurate this article is)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/only-3-countries-world-protect-163100823.html

Interesting tidbits:

We influenced ourselves!
    The United States' Second Amendment inspired other countries around the world to provide their citizens with the right to own guns — including Bolivia, Costa Rica, Colombia, Honduras, Nicaragua, Liberia, Guatemala, Mexico, and the US.
    :lol:

All of those countries, excluding Mexico, the US, and Guatemala, have since rescinded the constitutional right to bear arms, The New York Times reported.
    And they are obviously bastions on safety as a result.

there is only one shop in the entire country where Mexicans can go to buy guns, and it's located on a heavily guarded army base in Mexico City.
    ...and it sells 38 per day

And the doozie at the end:
    For nearly 200 years, since the words were adopted in 1791, the second amendment was thought to be referring to privileges belonging to the military, according to the The New Yorker. But from the 1970s, the view gradually changed until it solidified in a 2008 Supreme Court decision, which found the second amendment did intend to give individuals the right to bear arms.
    Who knew that "the right of the PEOPLE" changed over time? News to me...

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    Always good to add lies with truths. 2A was always for individuals, the entire bill of rights were rights of the individuals. The New Yorker is full of crap.
    V

357Max

Feb 28, 2019
    Crownsville
    Mexico's 2A is a joke. I work with several people on visa in El Paso & they're from Ciudad Juárez. They tell me it's common knowledge that possession of a bullet will get you thrown in jail, that is unless you below to a cartel.

Read the second paragraph of the below (Wikipedia )quote carefully. It's strictly enforced. An acquaintance of mine from El Paso disappeared about a year ago. When I inquired with mutual friends as to where's Sam (US citizen) they said he'd been arrested in Juárez, but were unable to get any further info. Fast forward a few months I see Sam and asked what happened. He said he'd been shooting his AR 15 and 45 in the desert (El Paso) and got a call that his Grandmother was on her death bed in Juárez. He jumped in the car and headed to see her not thinking about the weapons (legally purchased and registered to him) in the back of the car. He got pulled over and searched a few miles across the boarder. He was arrested. He said he'd never been so terrified in his life as when he was perp walked through the prison and asked by the guard which cartel he'd like to be placed with. There wasn't a no cartel option. It took a US lawyer almost 60 days to get him out. It's been a year now and he's still facing 5 years in Mexico. They impounded and kept his brand new VW Golf and the guns.

"WARNING: Do not attempt to take any firearm into Mexico even if the weapon is lawfully registered in your name in the United States (or any other country of residence) and even when the weapon falls under the types and calibers permitted for civilian ownership in Mexico. Unless the bearer has explicit authorization from the Secretariat of National Defense, it is illegal and punishable by law to enter Mexican territory with any firearm as well as to keep and carry any firearm on your person or vehicle at any time, anywhere. These permits cannot be obtained at Mexican customs and immigration when entering Mexico. They must be obtained in advance and in possession of the bearer before any gun enters Mexico. Once entering Mexico with a gun without previous authorization from the Mexican government, a crime has been committed.[37]

The US Department of State warns US citizens [and all persons regardless of citizenship] against taking any firearm or ammunition into Mexico without prior written authorization from the Mexican authorities. Entering Mexico with a firearm, or even a single round of ammunition, carries a penalty of up to five years in prison, even if the firearm or ammunition is taken into the country unintentionally.[38]"

2nd=Good+Substantial

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    The Hereford Zone
    I recall one of the history podcasts I listen to saying that after the Spanish/American War - Phillipine Insurrection, when the new Phillipine constitution was being drafted, our 2A came up. The US advisors specifically omitted any gun rights as they didn't want the same challenges the British faced with us if there was another uprising.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    ...At least according to this article, which based on some of its "facts", I'm not so sure is entirely reliable.

They are: USA, Mexico, Guatemala.

I was a little surprised (but again, not sure how accurate this article is)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/only-3-countries-world-protect-163100823.html

Interesting tidbits:

We influenced ourselves!
    :lol:

And they are obviously bastions on safety as a result.

...and it sells 38 per day

And the doozie at the end:
    Who knew that "the right of the PEOPLE" changed over time? News to me...

...and who knew the right was given to us?

“For nearly 200 years, since the words were adopted in 1791, the second amendment was thought to be referring to privileges belonging to the military, according to the The New Yorker. But from the 1970s, the view gradually changed until it solidified in a 2008 Supreme Court decision, which found the second amendment did intend to give individuals the right to bear arms.”

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Mexico's 2A is a joke. I work with several people on visa in El Paso & they're from Ciudad Juárez. They tell me it's common knowledge that possession of a bullet will get you thrown in jail, that is unless you below to a cartel.

Read the second paragraph of the below (Wikipedia )quote carefully. It's strictly enforced. An acquaintance of mine from El Paso disappeared about a year ago. When I inquired with mutual friends as to where's Sam (US citizen) they said he'd been arrested in Juárez, but were unable to get any further info. Fast forward a few months I see Sam and asked what happened. He said he'd been shooting his AR 15 and 45 in the desert (El Paso) and got a call that his Grandmother was on her death bed in Juárez. He jumped in the car and headed to see her not thinking about the weapons (legally purchased and registered to him) in the back of the car. He got pulled over and searched a few miles across the boarder. He was arrested. He said he'd never been so terrified in his life as when he was perp walked through the prison and asked by the guard which cartel he'd like to be placed with. There wasn't a no cartel option. It took a US lawyer almost 60 days to get him out. It's been a year now and he's still facing 5 years in Mexico. They impounded and kept his brand new VW Golf and the guns.

"WARNING: Do not attempt to take any firearm into Mexico even if the weapon is lawfully registered in your name in the United States (or any other country of residence) and even when the weapon falls under the types and calibers permitted for civilian ownership in Mexico. Unless the bearer has explicit authorization from the Secretariat of National Defense, it is illegal and punishable by law to enter Mexican territory with any firearm as well as to keep and carry any firearm on your person or vehicle at any time, anywhere. These permits cannot be obtained at Mexican customs and immigration when entering Mexico. They must be obtained in advance and in possession of the bearer before any gun enters Mexico. Once entering Mexico with a gun without previous authorization from the Mexican government, a crime has been committed.[37]

The US Department of State warns US citizens [and all persons regardless of citizenship] against taking any firearm or ammunition into Mexico without prior written authorization from the Mexican authorities. Entering Mexico with a firearm, or even a single round of ammunition, carries a penalty of up to five years in prison, even if the firearm or ammunition is taken into the country unintentionally.[38]"

I didn't have to read that to know not to take firearms into another country. Hell you can't take some firearms in the United States across a state line without facing prosecution!!!!!

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter

It's been a while since I was reading up on that, but IIRC, if you are somehow actually permitted to have any firearm, you are limited to 50 rounds of ammo per year.

Where is the Czech Republic on this? I thought that country was very favorable towards its people being armed.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    The "Bill of Rights" IE all 10 Amendments are meant to restrain the government NO not the people are restrained in their rights.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The "Bill of Rights" IE all 10 Amendments are meant to restrain the government NO not the people are restrained in their rights.

A Right can’t be repealed. Not yours to give, not yours to take.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I always laugh out loud, literally, when people say the 2A applies to the army, or to the national guard.

An Army, by definition, carries weapons.

Why on earth would you need a constitutional amendment to give permission to the army to carry weapons?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Along the same line of reasoning, rights are held by citizens whereas powers are granted to the government by its citizens. The second amendment is explicit that a right is being described, embedded within a series of rights as noted earlier. The Constitution wasn't going to be ratified by all 13 states without these rights spelled out. No way that the states nervous about a central government would request a series of amendments giving more powers to the government in order to sign on.

Notably, those states willing to ratify prior to the first ten amendments didn't think that they were necessary because of course people already had many of those rights and the federal government was going to be weak. Thanks goodness for the "trust but verify" states.

cowboy321

Apr 21, 2009
    It's been a while since I was reading up on that, but IIRC, if you are somehow actually permitted to have any firearm, you are limited to 50 rounds of ammo per year.

Where is the Czech Republic on this? I thought that country was very favorable towards its people being armed.

My last trip to CZ they allowed handguns. Like Israel 50 rounds per person. South Africa you can have 3 firearms and must have a safe inspected by the police. You can carry your pistol 24/7. A permit is for ownership and carry if desired. England- there are no pistols owned by citizens legally. Dunno re ARs. Most of South America allows some ownership for citizens with limitations.

Where all this is headed is anyone's guess. The NRA keeps shooting itself in the foot with greed and childish power plays... The Left is getting more support for ban of " Assault Weapons" ...

The stage is set ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom