• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • p226

Mar 14, 2016
    Last year I spent a lot of time at the On-Target pistol range. I rented almost everything in their rental case and tried them out. Finally selected a Sig Sauer P226 and love it. I shoot it weekly.

I am ready to wade into a long rifle purchase. Is there a rifle range in Maryland that has a variety of rifles and optics for rent and a range to try them out on to get me started? I live in Montgomery County. I am leaning towards an AR-15 .556 for accurate target shooting in the 100..300 yard range but am far from making a decision. It is time to stop reading about them and start trying them out.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 236

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I am ready to wade into a long rifle purchase. Is there a rifle range in Maryland that has a variety of rifles and optics for rent and a range to try them out on to get me started? I live in Montgomery County. I am leaning towards an AR-15 .556 for accurate target shooting in the 100..300 yard range but am far from making a decision. It is time to stop reading about them and start trying them out.

Basically no. Free State, near White Marsh, has a few rifles but I am not sure of their current selection. There is Freedom Armory up in PA, off of I83, that has a rifle range and they rent guns.

All of the "rifles ranges" are bring your own gun type places. Or, you can try to arrange with a member here to shoot their gun at a range. Hap Baker, AGc, etc, are bring your own.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Basically no. Free State, near White Marsh, has a few rifles but I am not sure of their current selection. There is Freedom Armory up in PA, off of I83, that has a rifle range and they rent guns.

All of the "rifles ranges" are bring your own gun type places. Or, you can try to arrange with a member here to shoot their gun at a range. Hap Baker, AGc, etc, are bring your own.

MSAR new place has rifle range... dont know if they will have for rent though when they open up.

(yeah.. i know few that doesnt like the place.. :innocent0).

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I've got an AR and can meet uP at FreeState if you like but you'll have to sign for me cause I'm only 20 but we can hit up Hap Baker or a private range near me.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Doesn't 340 Defense rent rifles?

(I've never been there but I think I remember hearing somewhere that they do.)

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    Best thing to do is post which rifle(s) you want to try out, then wait for one of the many, many gun nuts to stand up and offer to let you try out theirs.

anand14

Jul 24, 2012
    Freestate has some AR-15s, 12 gauge shotguns and .22 rifles for rent. Most of them are $10 but the AR-15 rents at $15. You have to buy their ammo which is not expensive.

I rented an AR last week and had fun.

I was told that any firearm with a blue tag is available for rent.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    :DTo the OP: Greetings from Elkton! BTW...it's 5.56 mm as opposed to .556 inches.

Shouldn't this thread be under Recreational Shooting????? :)

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    :DTo the OP: Greetings from Elkton! BTW...it's 5.56 mm as opposed to .556 inches.

Shouldn't this thread be under Recreational Shooting????? :)

if thats how he want to intruduce himself ... doesnt really matter..

did mpdc made you hallway monitor? :lol2: j/k

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    if thats how he want to intruduce himself ... doesnt really matter..

did mpdc made you hallway monitor? :lol2: j/k

I've seen worse introductions. I live on the Mount Airy side of Damascus. Don't have many rifles. Sorry. Got a few Mosins, a 12ga., a 9mm, a .45 Ruger Vaqauro, and am acquiring a 1956 30-30 Winchester. Oh and like so many others in the proces of building a few AR's.

Welcome from Mount Airy.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]HOW to APPLY for a MARYLAND Carry Permit[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MDS Logo Gear[/FONT][/FONT]

p226

Mar 14, 2016
    Thanks for all the input.

Thanks for all the input! I am impressed with the responses and the conversation. I am going to change tack in my approach to this relearning effort. My family will be shipping me four rifles from the family arsenal that I have inherited.

M1917 Enfield Bolt action in 30-06 (wow!) :)
    Winchester Lever Action 30-30
    .22LR Semi-Auto that I learned to shoot in the 70s
    .22LR bolt action

These are all with their original iron sights. They should give me a chance to relearn how to hold a rifle, aim it and miss targets. I assume that I can mount a scope on one or more of these to try for longer distances. This should keep me busy for a few months before I am ready to think about a more modern rifle. I am still leaning toward 5.56 AR-15 because the bullets appear to be much cheaper than the 30 cal rounds.

Thanks again. See you at the Damascus Izaak Walton rifle range.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    Thanks for all the input! I am impressed with the responses and the conversation. I am going to change tack in my approach to this relearning effort. My family will be shipping me four rifles from the family arsenal that I have inherited.

M1917 Enfield Bolt action in 30-06 (wow!) :)
    Winchester Lever Action 30-30
    .22LR Semi-Auto that I learned to shoot in the 70s
    .22LR bolt action

These are all with their original iron sights. They should give me a chance to relearn how to hold a rifle, aim it and miss targets. I assume that I can mount a scope on one or more of these to try for longer distances. This should keep me busy for a few months before I am ready to think about a more modern rifle. I am still leaning toward 5.56 AR-15 because the bullets appear to be much cheaper than the 30 cal rounds.

Thanks again. See you at the Damascus Izaak Walton rifle range.

5.56 is at a all time high over $350 bucks for brass good ammo. if you are on a budget and don't reload I would look at other calibers

p226

Mar 14, 2016
    As best as I can tell the .22LR is the budget caliber/rifle that is cheaper than anything else in rifle caliber (is .22R really a rifle caliber?).

Last night I did some shopping for rounds and found the following at cheaperthandirt.com:

AMM-4700 9mm TulAmmo FMJ 115 Grain 50 Round Box 1150 fps Made in Russia Polymer Coated Steel Case $9.29

AMM-678 Ammo .30-06 Springfield Golden Bear FMJ 145 Grain 20 Round Box 2445 fps Steel Case Brass Plated $11.59

6-0312395 Ammo .30-30 Winchester Prvi Partizan SP 150 Grain 20 Round Box 2390 fps $12.15

AMM-0552 Ammo .22 LR Armscor Solid Point 40 Grain 500 Round Brick Standard Velocity 1135 fps $16.69

AMM-278 .223 Remington BVAC, FMJ, 55 Grain, 50 Round Box 3139 fps Inspected Once-Fired Brass $16.79

The AR-15 .223/5.56 is a lot cheaper than the 30Cal. Roughly $0.34 per round vs $0.60 per round for the 30 cal. What commonly available caliber/round with a better price is on the market?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom