It's beginning to look like X-mas, for AR's.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    This has become a sort of tradition for me now, to build a new AR for a diff't member of the family each year. I built my dad one, which he loves, he refuses to change a thing on it - he's still a newbie. :D

This year, I'm building one for my Brother and my Sis-in-law. Both of them have enjoyed shooting the piss out of my own AR's when we do the family get-togethers, and my sister is filipino - so it makes sense (to me anyways) to build them one of their own.

This will be their first AR, so it's nothing too fancy or expensive (yet). Just something for them to get out onto the range and have fun with. Still need to pick up a barrel/gas-system, handguard or rail, a BCG, and some form of optic. Seeing as how it's an A2 stock, I'm leaning towards 20" barrel, rifle length gas, since I haven't done one yet.

Enough blabbing, here it is so far -

View attachment 68903

It's mostly PSA parts -

PSA Black Friday lower, color-filled, just because.

PSA Blem Upper, again, T-marking's aren't filled (bfd).

Stag FCG - had the best feel to it, and slightly lighter than the PSA or standard Spike's trigger I had lying around.

Standard A2 stock/buffer.

If anyone else is building or even buying guns for family this christmas, I'd love to hear about it, doesn't matter what type of firearm.

Last edited:

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    My younger brother's birthday was yesterday (Halloween). He just got out of the Army 2 years ago and loves shooting my AR. He doesn't have one of his own so I got him a stripped lower. He doesn't make a lot of money and just had a baby so he said he was going to put it away and slowly build it when he has the extra funds. I was thinking of at least finishing the lower for him and getting him a stripped upper. Great thread, I would love to hear more as well.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    They have not the slightest clue that I'm building one for them, they're so tied up in work and raising a soon-to-be 4 y.o. boy - this is just going to come out of nowhere for them.

When it's done, I'm giving it to them on X-mas in 2 boxes - one person will get the lower, the other will get the upper.

Next year I'll probably be building my Uncle one, he drools too much over mine.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My younger brother's birthday was yesterday (Halloween). He just got out of the Army 2 years ago and loves shooting my AR. He doesn't have one of his own so I got him a stripped lower. He doesn't make a lot of money and just had a baby so he said he was going to put it away and slowly build it when he has the extra funds. I was thinking of at least finishing the lower for him and getting him a stripped upper. Great thread, I would love to hear more as well.

You can tell family members to buy him various parts for x-mas etc. He should have a rifle in no time.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    rouchna - PSA upper stripped Blem's are less than $70, throw in a charging handle and a upper build kit, about $100 or so all said and done.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    You can tell family members to buy him various parts for x-mas etc. He should have a rifle in no time.

Great idea, except other family members don't know a damned thing about AR's. My dad is a retired Army Colonel and was shocked to find out that I could own an AR-15 :sad20: I may just tell them to give me gift cards so I can make the purchases on their behalf. Great idea.

rouchna - PSA upper stripped Blem's are less than $70, throw in a charging handle and a upper build kit, about $100 or so all said and done.

Thanks for the heads up. I should have planned this better. I just spent a sh*t load on finishing my AR Pistol and buying a Kel Tec Sub2K all within 2 weeks.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    PM a mod and ask them to move it and delete this post when they are done.

Already have done that.

That's what happens when you do a full day on very little sleep the night before..., you start threads with a title that may not make sense in the wrong sub-section. :o

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Uncle Brad do you want my Christmas list now ?:D

I'm in a good mood (even after pulling a 10 hr shift outside today), why not...

I can think of one accessory that everyone should have if they have an AR -

View attachment 68991

Just got that today, let's see who can pick up on what it is that I got. ;)

Bear in mind, that's my 300BLK that Chad worked on a little while back, so the gun itself isn't new...

Last edited:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    60 Round Sure Fire? Nice!

I have yet to have issues with them on AR's I do reliability work to.

Yes sir!!, I couldn't resist the temptation to pick one up. :D

I don't have to work tomorrow, so cold weather be damned, I'm going to try it out and see what's what, I got a few batches I need to test anyways.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Are you interesting in adopting a 28 yo white male? Lol

Could be interesting having a younger brother..., just gotta remember, sh*t rolls down hill... ;)

:lol2:

And you'll have to wait your turn for an AR, there's a few other people ahead of any potential new members of my clan.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I was looking at the 60 rounders the other night. Damn they are expensive. Buy once cry once I guess. lol

I got mine for less than $90, so while it's not Pmag pricing, it's still a bit cheaper than Beta-mag pricing...

Depending on how it runs today, there may be a few more that get ordered and distributed to family members - not while in MD of course. ;)

For my Brother/Sister's build, the BCG will either be a BCM or maybe JoeBob's in-house BCG - haven't decided yet. Thought about NiB BCG (WMD) - but since this is their first one, it's more of the K.I.S.S. philosophy, if they want to upgrade it later, then it'll be an option.

RW2111

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Industry Partner
    Apr 2, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Building my Dad a AR for Xmas as well. I'll be back for R&R a few days before Xmas so I will have about a day to build it. Heres a rough list of what its gonna be.

PSA Lower with PSA Lpk
    YHM Upper with 14.5 barrel
    WMD NiB BCG
    Magpul STR with MOE (OD Green)
    AimPoint Pro

Should be a nice little build for his first one. Also gonna have my 5 year old nephew and 20 month old daughter tap in the Hammer and Trigger pins and have pics in the gun case showing them doing it so they have a little hand in it also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom