• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    Where do you guys buy small parts like bolt ejector roll pins and bolt rings?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Where do you guys buy small parts like bolt ejector roll pins and bolt rings?

A reliable source is Brownells. There are others, but at that point you have to have some knowledge about whom you're dealing with.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Update on that KAW valley linear comp. it works pretty well. Recoil is pretty directly inline with the buffer tube without much climb. Recoil is slightly increased over the A2 birdcage. There is now visible muzzle flash with the 20" barrel. Not visible on every round. Say 3 in 4 it is and is a little tongue of flame. Overall diameter is about .92" for the linear comp, I'd describe the diameter of the tongue of flame as 1-1.25" at the largest diameter and maybe 2" long at most.

Sound is way down. Not remotely hearing safe, but it is noticeably quieter from the shooters position and from someone next to the shooter. I am not about to have someone shoot towards me with the rifle, but I seem to get more echo back from down range. It isn't like steeping from 5.56 down to 22lr. Maybe more like going from a velocitor to a standard velocity 22lr, from the shooters prospective.

hermfro

Jan 23, 2017
    Severn, MD
    Hey ya'll, very informative thread. I love it. I have yet had a chance to read all 36 pages, so quick question. Only the lower you need to get registered at the shop and if you buy online it has to go to your FFL. But I think I've read that all other components if bought online you can ship directly to your house? Is this true? Thanks I'm new so get me learnt.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hey ya'll, very informative thread. I love it. I have yet had a chance to read all 36 pages, so quick question. Only the lower you need to get registered at the shop and if you buy online it has to go to your FFL. But I think I've read that all other components if bought online you can ship directly to your house? Is this true? Thanks I'm new so get me learnt.

You are correct.

For an AR-15, the lower receiver is the part with the serial number, and so it is legally "the firearm." Because of this, the sale of the lower to you has to be through an FFL.

All of the other parts, upper receiver, barrel, stock, bolt, blah blah, all of it, are not "firearms" and so you can have them shipped directly to your house.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thank you very much. At least they let you do that, that makes things very easy.

Yup, though in Maryland you have to be careful what parts you buy. Any lower you buy now must have an HBAR barrel if it is .223/5.56 caliber. Any other barrel profile in .223/5.56 is illegal in Maryland unless it goes on a lower that you personally owned prior to October 2013.

So just because the other stuff can be shipped to you legally, it might not be legal for you to possess it or build a rifle with it. Just like you could build a rifle with an 8" barrel, making it an SBR and if you don't have a tax stamp for it first, you just broke the law.

Generally you don't want anything in your possession you couldn't legally build something with. ATF can and has gone after people for "constructive intent". For instance having that 8" barrel without something that can be built as a pistol or not having an already registered SBR (though for an SBR I think the barrel itself gets serialized then IIRC).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Generally you don't want anything in your possession you couldn't legally build something with. ATF can and has gone after people for "constructive intent". For instance having that 8" barrel without something that can be built as a pistol or not having an already registered SBR (though for an SBR I think the barrel itself gets serialized then IIRC).

Just as an aside to that, in order to build an AR lower into a pistol, the lower should be marked "Multi" as opposed to "Rifle". This distinction should appear somewhere in the vicinity of the serial number. Also(very important!), all of my new lowers start out as pistol builds. I photograph them with serial number displayed(not a rule or law. Just a little CYA on my part). Then I go on to build whatever I had originally planned. ANY LOWER THAT STARTED OUT AS A RIFLE CAN NEVER BE BUILT INTO A PISTOL. If it starts out as a pistol, then is built into a rifle, it can later be returned to pistol form legally.

As for SBRs, if you are the "maker" of said SBR, the serialized part of that gun is the only part recommended to be engraved as an SBR of your making. On AR 15s, the serial number is on the lower so that is all that you need to engrave. Other gun types may have the SN elsewhere and that would be the part to engrave.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Just as an aside to that, in order to build an AR lower into a pistol, the lower should be marked "Multi" as opposed to "Rifle".

I'm getting pedantic here, but what the receiver is marked as has zero legal bearing on anything. The only thing that legally matters is what the receiver was FIRST built in to. If it was first a pistol, you can go back and forth pistol to rifle to pistol as much as you want. If it was first built into a rifle, it's a rifle forever.

Also, I don't believe I've ever seen an AR lower marked "rifle." They're marked with a caliber as opposed to "multi" all the time, but that doesn't matter either.

ANY LOWER THAT STARTED OUT AS A RIFLE CAN NEVER BE BUILT INTO A PISTOL. If it starts out as a pistol, then is built into a rifle, it can later be returned to pistol form legally.

This is exactly correct.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Also, I don't believe I've ever seen an AR lower marked "rifle." They're marked with a caliber as opposed to "multi" all the time, but that doesn't matter either.

Nor have I. I have read about it here though which was the only reason I mentioned it, but then again, I usually sleep in a Hilton. I'm claiming that as my excuse.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Nor have I. I have read about it here though which was the only reason I mentioned it, but then again, I usually sleep in a Hilton. I'm claiming that as my excuse.

You are one up on me, I usually end up sleeping on the couch :lol2:

Dsnyder

MDS Supporter
    Jun 23, 2015
    Baltimore
    I am finishing up my first ar15 and trying to find a 20' chrome lined or stainless barrel that has a pinned fsb already installed. Oh and it must be an hbar. The only ones I have found are from Top notch top ends. Their reputation is not the best. I am not sure what to do. Any advice.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I am finishing up my first ar15 and trying to find a 20' chrome lined or stainless barrel that has a pinned fsb already installed. Oh and it must be an hbar. The only ones I have found are from Top notch top ends. Their reputation is not the best. I am not sure what to do. Any advice.
    Try Anderson for what you are looking for.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    JSE Surplus has several offerings in 16" Hbar pinned fsb...

http://www.jsesurplus.com/16.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom