• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Sorry to hear about your wife's paralysis. She sounds like a trooper with that 686, when she was able to shoot it.

My wife's 686 has a 3-inch barrel. I've since moved her to the Model 64 with a 4-inch barrel (a police trade-in). The balance and fit of the K-frame revolver is perfect for her. It also soaks up recoil, has a smooth trigger, and is a laserbeam. I really find the S&W K-frame to be a design apex for the 38 Special revolver genre. One of my least expensive guns, but also one of the last ones that I ever would sell.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    To the OP's question, .38/357 is a great option but I would also look into the .32 family. Maybe a .327 which will let you shoot 32acp, 32S&W, and 32Mag.
    Ruger has this in the LCR, LCRX and Sp101 revolvers. I have the 101 but am considering the LCRX for EC. I just wish I could find wood grips for the LCRX.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    The SP101 is a wonderful design. Does the best job in taming recoil of 357 when compared to the similarly sized S&W Model 60 and Kimber K6S. One can also get it in a compact size with a 3-inch barrel, squeezing more performance out of the 357 round. Probably the chief criticism would be that it's a 5-shot revolver (like the Model 60), but the smaller cylinder is narrow and carries well. If you wait for a sale, you can probably find one for under $500, saving a bit relative to the S&W Model 60 and Kimber K6S 357 revolvers.

Our last vacation to a state that I could carry in had me in a conundrum choosing between the SP101, K6S, and a Cobra for the trip. All are great shooters that carry easily in an OWB holster. If there was more time in the woods, I would have opted for the SP101.

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    I have the 2- and 3-inch revolver from them. I actually shoot the 2-inch one better, but that's likely due to the different grips. I was carrying the 2-inch K6S (with hot 38 Special +P loads from Underwood) last week when in Virginia. 357 Mag is a bit more jumpy out of this gun, and the short barrel results in a lot of flash and probably minimal gains in velocity over hot 38 Special +P rounds. I love the compactness of this gun as a small 6-shooter, and the DA trigger pull is very smooth.

I also find both the new Colt Cobra (2017 release) and Ruger SP101 to be straightforward to shoot well (at 7 - 10 yard distances) with even double action trigger pulls. They both have exposed hammers so can be cocked to SA. I've carried both, and with the SP101 that has the 3-inch barrel, I'll have it loaded with 357 Mag. The SP101 absorbs the recoil well. It does have trade-offs in that it is a 5-shooter and is heavier, but it is a slim revolver that conceals easily. I think it's one of the better values for a quality, capable handgun in the current production, small revolver market.

View attachment 240950

Here’s a lightly used Ruger SP101 Wiley Clapp that I just got in a trade. Haven’t shot it yet, but it is one heavyweight 357 magnum.
    Most likely after I do shoot it it’ll probably go up for sale. I don’t know if I will like anything this heavy.

Attachments

• CE0BAA4B-EC1C-4668-8F71-40C3B07480A0.jpeg
      CE0BAA4B-EC1C-4668-8F71-40C3B07480A0.jpeg
      50.4 KB · Views: 67

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    She hates recoil. She's perfectly capable with regular 38 Special in my opinion, but in my enthusiasm, I moved her up to shooting 357 from her 686, and she immediately gave me a frown and said "I don't like it." After that, she just wanted to stick with the mellowest 38 Special loads. I'm happy to occasionally get her to the range and wasn't going to argue.

My personal feeling is that the pink critical defense do not penetrate deep enough.

I would buy her full wadcutters, myself. Cut a nice, clean, deep hole straight through, and are loaded about as weak as you'll find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom