• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I am putting together a remington 700 sps .223 and am now mounting and bedding my scope base. I have a set of burris Xtreme tactical rings and need to have them lapped properly. I do not have the kit to do it and was looking to see if anyone in the Cecil county area would mind helping me out with getting it done. Pm me if so. I'll provide beer also.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I am not local to you but it looks like these may be 1" or 30mm. What do you have?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Why do you think they need lapping?

It seems most of the long range guys do NOT lap, especially with quality rings.

This ASSUMES that you bed the mount, to ensure that it is straight and not bent or torqued.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Lapping is always a good idea to prevent damage to the scope and to increase the contact area between the rings and the scope. Even expensive and precise rings have high and low spots that benefit from lapping.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Lapping is always a good idea to prevent damage to the scope and to increase the contact area between the rings and the scope. Even expensive and precise rings have high and low spots that benefit from lapping.
    This.

Bedding the base is the best method to ensure alignment, but cannot cure internal burrs and irregularities.

I've seen some of the most highly regarded rings damage scope finishes. Iron Brigade Armory installed a NightForce in Badger rings on one of my tac rifles and the scope tube couldn't even bottom out due to the sharp edges at the sides biting into the anodize. Clowns just torqued it down anyway.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I am bedding to ensure it is perfectly flat which it is not when bolted down. The rings are Xtreme tactical burris and I have heard several cases of them needing final lapping. I am finally going to invest in expensive glass and do not want to take a chance on messing up the tube or scratching it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    To bed the mount, install it with just one screw. And check the other end to see if it is above the receiver. Check for BOTH ENDS. As one end may show no gap, because it is pressed into the receiver.

To bed, decide which end needs to be fixed (preferably the back, if both are above the receiver). Fill the holes at that end with clay. Wax the receiver with mold release, paste wax, or neutral shoe polish.

The apply a layer of JB Weld to the mount on the proper end, attach with the screws at the other end, and let cure. Wiping off any excess is a good idea.

Let it cure for a day, then remove it. File off any excess JB Weld, remove the clay and release agent. Install the mount.

Videos on You Tube

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Oh, and if you lap aluminum rings, you will remove the thin anodizing and expose the softer aluminum.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    That's the same video I saw. Seems pretty straight forward. And with the lapping of the rings... I have heard of alit of people that have done them with good results. I will of course look at them first and see if they need it.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I would like to see the same expert marksman shoot the same rifle once with the rings un-lapped and once lapped while he is blind to whether it has been done or not.

A set of CNC machined and anodized rings should not have any burrs or imperfections that require lapping.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I would like to see the same expert marksman shoot the same rifle once with the rings un-lapped and once lapped while he is blind to whether it has been done or not.
    The scope tube will know. Is a scope tube with a distorted tube and/or ring marks not damaged?
    A set of CNC machined and anodized rings should not have any burrs or imperfections that require lapping.
    "Should not"...LOL...but agreed...

"CNC"...This term means nothing when used to define quality. It is merely a high speed production technique, not a fool proof way to make things more precisely than any other method. They are ALL CNC produced, from the cheapest. sloppiest crap you can find, up to the most elite and expensive. No one on this side of the Khyber Pass makes rings or bases one off on manually controlled equipment.

Back to the practical application side, have you installed many? I'd suggest that if you installed 2-3-4 sets of upscale rings a week for five years, and another 50 or so sets before that, you would abandon the idealistic illusion of off the shelf perfection and change your opinion to match what actually happens with real parts.

For those not fully familiar with doing it correctly, lapping is only a final fitting procedure, not an effort to reshape anything or cut the rings in half with a over zealously applied lapping bar.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    For those not fully familiar with doing it correctly, lapping is only a final fitting procedure, not an effort to reshape anything or cut the rings in half with a over zealously applied lapping bar.

That's why this obsession with lapping really puzzles me. Lapping only removes minuscule layers of material to obtain a specified degree of flatness and surface roughness. If your rings leave surface marks on a scope or even distors the tube, you are not talking about the kind of imperfections lapping will fix, it'll require serious machining or grinding.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    The scope tube will know. Is a scope tube with a distorted tube and/or ring marks not damaged?"Should not"...LOL...but agreed...

"CNC"...This term means nothing when used to define quality. It is merely a high speed production technique, not a fool proof way to make things more precisely than any other method. They are ALL CNC produced, from the cheapest. sloppiest crap you can find, up to the most elite and expensive. No one on this side of the Khyber Pass makes rings or bases one off on manually controlled equipment.

Back to the practical application side, have you installed many? I'd suggest that if you installed 2-3-4 sets of upscale rings a week for five years, and another 50 or so sets before that, you would abandon the idealistic illusion of off the shelf perfection and change your opinion to match what actually happens with real parts.

This!!!!

I've had a number of high quality rings that, per the manufacturer, didn't need to be lapped. Ed proved to me that they did. He lapped a few for me and all of them were uneven.

It's your scope, but I'd think twice before mountng it on unlapped rings.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    I continue to be amazed. A guy like Ed Shell, with his vast experience in this subject matter, lays it down and there are still guys that just don't get it. Go ahead- don't lap the rings and torque them down without a proper torque wrench. It's probably a Barska, so who cares. Those who invest in a $2-4K optic, and make good hits at 1,000+ yds care.

Last edited:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    That's why this obsession with lapping really puzzles me. Lapping only removes minuscule layers of material to obtain a specified degree of flatness and surface roughness. If your rings leave surface marks on a scope or even distors the tube, you are not talking about the kind of imperfections lapping will fix, it'll require serious machining or grinding.

To each their own. Believe what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom