• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    Have no experience to post on this but looks like a long bobcat/linx to me. I see a faint pattern, backs of ears look darkened, tops of ears look fuzzy...

Of course everything I just mentioned could be explained by shadows etc...

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    A PG cop was telling me there was one reported in PG as well. Squad sent with their AR's to investigate.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Best guess it's a bogus prank BUT if it were real and someone shot the sob would they charge him for shooting out of season or no season or what?

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    No reason to shoot such a beautiful animal. They stay away from people for the most part. Tranquilize it and send release it in western MD or WVA.

I am not against hunting, but it is a rare animal in these parts.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Is this directly off the OP's trail cam?

This was off of bunky's camera. I taught with him until he retired and i took over his position. He hunts and fishes all over the place and even went to Africa with his daughter to hunt a while back.

Attachments

• 20180823_175946.jpg
      20180823_175946.jpg
      74.4 KB · Views: 650

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    If you do a little surfing, you'll find that juvenile mountain lions will often wear subtle spots and stripes for up to two years. Those sorts of markings are especially noticeable on IR sensors.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Any Sykesville Monster updates lately?

I've hiked and mountain biked (dumb!) through the McKeldin North area along the Patapsco river several times. This is the area between Marriottsville road and Sykesville. I am still disappointed that i did not spot the Sykesville Monster. Unless you travel through that area you would have no idea how primitive it is. A major rail line runs through. There's an old iron furnace, old surface mines, house and bridge foundations. There are houses visible up on the hills but there is plenty of space for a secretive "big cat" to roam as a once busy valley is reverting to wild space.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Have to agree that looks like a Mountain Lion. We had them around my hometown in southwest Texas. To see one in person is quite rare, we called them the ghosts of the mountains. They usually avoid humans at all costs, unless they are old or sick. They are ambush hunters, for the most part. They are quite beautiful animals in my opinion. Hopefully they will leave humans alone if they are making coming back to Maryland. I believe the males have a very large territory and defend it from other males. I'm not sure about the females. Is the Deer Population growing in Maryland?

Uh, yea, you _could_ say the deer population is growing in Maryland... We got's no one to hunt them in the central axis of evil. If true, maybe it'll move into our woods and take out the deer that's been eating my wife's flowers.

On another note: Is this someone's pet that they've turned out? DNR can test the scat - cats living in captivity have some type of bacteria in the scat that pure-wild cats do not.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Uh, guys, that cat ain’t the Sykesville Monster

The Sykesville Monster is a Sasquatch that’s supposed to be running around Sykesville since the 70s when the Bigfoot craze was sweeping the nation.

Made for some scary stories and laughs night and day fishing along the north and south branches.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    This was off of bunky's camera. I taught with him until he retired and i took over his position. He hunts and fishes all over the place and even went to Africa with his daughter to hunt a while back.

What is the diameter of the tree behind it or the distance between the two trees?

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Uh, guys, that cat ain’t the Sykesville Monster

The Sykesville Monster is a Sasquatch that’s supposed to be running around Sykesville since the 70s when the Bigfoot craze was sweeping the nation.

Made for some scary stories and laughs night and day fishing along the north and south branches.

Definitely not the Sykesville Monster in the big cat photo. Notice that there is no "Welcome to Sykesville" sign.

Attachments

• 1_sykesville.jpg
      1_sykesville.jpg
      13.5 KB · Views: 505

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Just curious, who would win in a coyote vs. mountain lion tangle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom