• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What kind of belt do you like best?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Bigfoot Gun Belts is having a $10 off Labor Day sale on their steel core gun belts. I have one and really like the quality of the belt.

http://gunbelts.com/

Cal68

I just watched that video, it's slick marketing. It looks identical to the Alien Gear belt; I'm suspecting they are both getting them from the same supplier and just having their brand impressed into them. This is right down to the the stapled (yes, just a metal staple) holding the belt loop retainer (I don't know the proper word for it); freeze frame the video at 1:03, the staple is visable. Also, the snaps are crappy, I had to use a rubber hammer to get mine snapped back closed. That piece of leather when you unsnap it is very thin, so you are getting two thin lament pieces of leather that is sandwiching a thin piece of metal. Where the leather snaps was not aligned very well, noticeably not centered, so it passed whatever marginal QC they have. I'm still testing this belt, I just got it, but so far, the only word I would use to describe it is 'cheap'.

On the display, notice that they have it paired with an Alien Gear holster. If you buy an Alien Gear holster, they give you something like $15 off their belt (which I'm guessing IS the same belt).

Buy quality gear, especially if your life potentially depends on it; and a good belt really should outlast many inferior made/material belts, so in the long run, its a better value to buy quality.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I just watched that video, it's slick marketing. It looks identical to the Alien Gear belt; I'm suspecting they are both getting them from the same supplier and just having their brand impressed into them. This is right down to the the stapled (yes, just a metal staple) holding the belt loop retainer (I don't know the proper word for it); freeze frame the video at 1:03, the staple is visable. Also, the snaps are crappy, I had to use a rubber hammer to get mine snapped back closed. That piece of leather when you unsnap it is very thin, so you are getting two thin lament pieces of leather that is sandwiching a thin piece of metal. Where the leather snaps was not aligned very well, noticeably not centered, so it passed whatever marginal QC they have. I'm still testing this belt, I just got it, but so far, the only word I would use to describe it is 'cheap'.

On the display, notice that they have it paired with an Alien Gear holster. If you buy an Alien Gear holster, they give you something like $15 off their belt (which I'm guessing IS the same belt).

Buy quality gear, especially if your life potentially depends on it; and a good belt really should outlast many inferior made/material belts, so in the long run, its a better value to buy quality.

So I took your advice and decided to buy a gun belt from Duluth Trading. I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks and feels like when I receive it.

I know that you slammed Bigfoot Gun Belts pretty hard in the above posting, but I'm wondering what you think of the recommendation from Concealed Nation that you can see in Post 59 of this thread. I've read a few other good reviews of these gun belts and I'm curious to see how the belt from Duluth is different from the Bigfoot one that I have.

It is not my intention to get into a flame war with you since you obviously have a lot more experience in CCW than I have. I'm just interested in hearing your opinion on this topic.

Cal68

Last edited:

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    My Hank's CCW belt, one year old, is soft and supple which I don't believe is preferable. I'll ask again when the Black Friday Sales Matter.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    So I took your advice and decided to buy a gun belt from Duluth Trading. I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks and feels like when I receive it.

I know that you slammed Bigfoot Gun Belts pretty hard in the above posting, but I'm wondering what you think of the recommendation from Concealed Nation that you can see in Post 59 of this thread. I've read a few other good reviews of these gun belts and I'm curious to see how the belt from Duluth is different from the Bigfoot one that I have.

It is not my intention to get into a flame war with you since you obviously have a lot more experience in CCW than I have. I'm just interested in hearing your opinion on this topic.

Cal68

Greetings, and thanks for the discussion, I'm glad if I helped.

In all fairness, I am still wearing/evaluating the Alien Gear belt and holster (again, I'm pretty sure the belt is identical to the Bigfoot Belt, which is a sleazy marketing ploy (if true) to make people think they are making these themselves; but I don't know. With an inside the waist band holster, the belt matters much less, it just needs to be strong enough to hold the holster and gun into your body, and ideally you want the belt to be the width of the clips and thick enough for the clips to grab onto something, so the holster doesn't come out during draw (assuming you are using clips; loops are better to prevent this). But an outside the waistband rig needs decent stiffness to hold the weight of the gun (lighter gun, rigidity matters less). So far I'm not disliking the Alien Gear belt, just have so many belts I like better at the moment. But for the price, might be a good deal if it holds up long term. I probably won't wear it enough to be able to speak to its long term durability.

I own a couple different Duluth belts, one model, I have two of them; plenty good belt that makes a good belt to carry a gun. They call it a 'lifetime' belt, full retail it's $70 ( I just looked it up), might find it on sale. Duluth also sells this stuff called flex firehose pants; that's good stuff too. Their top notch (and generally most expensive stuff) really is excellent. I know its mostly work clothes, but much of it seems a notch above carhart and dickie; and suitable for most gun/range applications. http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/searchresults/85362.aspx?kw=belts&processor=content

Let me know how you like the belt after you've worn it a few times.

My Hank's CCW belt, one year old, is soft and supple which I don't believe is preferable. I'll ask again when the Black Friday Sales Matter.

Good one. Black Friday Sales Matter. :lol2:

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I picked up one of the Magpul Tejas "El Original" belts right after it came out. Dual layer leather and poly. I've worn it almost daily (~9 months) since then. It is just as stiff (in the right places) as it was the first day. The leather isn't as nice as a 100% leather belt, but the poly backing helps to provide solid holster support. Holsters with metal clips do affect the leather finish a bit, but that's to be expected. I like it.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Wow, I didn't realize that there are any belt other than the high quality Milt Sparks. :innocent0

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Ares Gear Aegis Enhanced and Mean Gene Leather with Ares buckle.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Greetings, and thanks for the discussion, I'm glad if I helped.

In all fairness, I am still wearing/evaluating the Alien Gear belt and holster (again, I'm pretty sure the belt is identical to the Bigfoot Belt, which is a sleazy marketing ploy (if true) to make people think they are making these themselves; but I don't know. With an inside the waist band holster, the belt matters much less, it just needs to be strong enough to hold the holster and gun into your body, and ideally you want the belt to be the width of the clips and thick enough for the clips to grab onto something, so the holster doesn't come out during draw (assuming you are using clips; loops are better to prevent this). But an outside the waistband rig needs decent stiffness to hold the weight of the gun (lighter gun, rigidity matters less). So far I'm not disliking the Alien Gear belt, just have so many belts I like better at the moment. But for the price, might be a good deal if it holds up long term. I probably won't wear it enough to be able to speak to its long term durability.

I own a couple different Duluth belts, one model, I have two of them; plenty good belt that makes a good belt to carry a gun. They call it a 'lifetime' belt, full retail it's $70 ( I just looked it up), might find it on sale. Duluth also sells this stuff called flex firehose pants; that's good stuff too. Their top notch (and generally most expensive stuff) really is excellent. I know its mostly work clothes, but much of it seems a notch above carhart and dickie; and suitable for most gun/range applications. http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/searchresults/85362.aspx?kw=belts&processor=content

Let me know how you like the belt after you've worn it a few times.

Thanks for your insight my friend. I value your opinion.

I am glad that did not misinterpret my question and gave an answer in the same spirit in which I asked my question. Unfortunately, I don't have a CCW here in MD (and I know I will never be able to convince the authorities to give me one), so all I can do is carry inside my house and compare the two gunbelts. I look forward to receiving the belt from Duluth Trading sometime next week.

Thanks again for your help.

Cal68

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Thanks for your insight my friend. I value your opinion.

I am glad that did not misinterpret my question and gave an answer in the same spirit in which I asked my question. Unfortunately, I don't have a CCW here in MD (and I know I will never be able to convince the authorities to give me one), so all I can do is carry inside my house and compare the two gunbelts. I look forward to receiving the belt from Duluth Trading sometime next week.

Thanks again for your help.

Cal68

Cool. Don't give up hope on the Wear&Carry permit, it is an uphill climb, but there are a lot of us fighting for your right to carry. Many of us already have permits, but we are fighting for YOUR right. Doesn't that sound kinda funny, people with permits, people like former State Troopers, even the former Commander of the Handgun Licensing Division, and many more; acknowledging that the situation is wrong and fighting for YOUR right to carry?

Maybe you should join us? :)

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍

sinzitu

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2009
    TN
    Can't stay away from us Marylanders for too long, huh? ;)

Well I do miss "some" things about MD. This forum is forgiving in that it doesn't care where I am; just that we're all working for the same goal. Locally or nationally. :D

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I received my order of BioThane, I also ordered a finished BioThane belt from the company. I have enough of the raw material to probably make 5-10 belts. I'm thinking I'll take it to the gunshow and offer it by the inch for folks that might want to make their own and just need the BioThane material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom