• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    What's the group consensus on the MOS guns? I'm generally not a fan of handguns with optics but this system intigues me for some reason.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    What's the group consensus on the MOE guns? I'm generally not a fan of handguns with optics but this system intigues me for some reason.

Did you mean "MOS"?

I've been seeing A LOT of reflex sites on pistols and have to say I am intrigued as well. The competition guys love'em. It certainly speeds them up. For me, I like the idea of being able to see what I am shooting at... To a degree anyway. And while I can handle a pistol without one, I think it's a value added piece of equipment.

If you can run'em on rifles, why not do the same for pistols?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I have experimented with the RMR glocks, j points, Burris fast fire on pistols. Basically as raised sights to clear the suppressor. The sights when used alone tends to disappear or wander when the bring up the pistol . You will be searching for the red dot and that is slower than iron sights . Once acquired, it is a fast and accurate system.

The solution to this is to mill the slide and Co witness mount the red dot to tall suppressor sights. Muscle memory and old school mindset works well with this set up. Simply do what you've always done, bring up the gun, focusing on a front sight flash picture and viola,,,, the red dot is there. This is a much faster system in terms of sight acquisition.

As for reliability, go with the RMR... the fast fires and delta point have also been reliable but not as rugged as the RMR.

As for the glock MOS modular optics system series of glocks.... I want two the 40 and the 41. The only thing I do not like about them is the milled area is not as nice looking as the custom installs that are popular nowadays . There is a gap that will collect dirt, lint, etc. But expect this from a factory set up that tends to allow you to mount a multitude of mini red dots. But it is functional and versatile , just not as pretty as a custom job.

The gun also comes with stars height sight... like WTF is wrong with glock? Tall suppressor sights would be awesome. Aftermarket sights should take care of that.

With all that, the glock 40 MOS is on my short list. I have always wanted a 10mm longslide.

Right now, I'm partial to a TSD RMR glock 19 and a Glock34/FF3 as my carry piece. The fun starts when you take out coke cans at 100 yards. Easy task for these optics equipped glocks . Its almost like cheating .

I teach new shooters with a g34/FF3 set up... sight picture, breathing, trigger control etc are easy to illustrate because of the Co witness set up. After a while,they get consistent and I simply turn off the red dot. The fundamentals of shooting remain the same.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    I don't have a MOS, but do have a lone wolf "slide melt" for a Dr Optic.

I've read a couple of articles that say the MOS system's weak point, is that the thread engagement is pretty short because of the adapter plate vs that of sight specific milling on a slide. The adapter plate also seems to make the red dot sit a bit higher on the gun.

The MOS would be good if you weren't sure which optic you were going to get, or wanted to swap them around.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm with SCARCQB. Glock had the right idea in the sense that optics are awesome, but they screwed it up by not using suppressor height irons. A lone red dot alone on a pistol can be hard to find quickly, even with practice.

I've been thinking of building a custom optics-equipped G19 one of these days:

Kinda on the expensive side, but I really don't have any high end pistols, either.

IgotAgun

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 20, 2015
    I just mounted a RMR to my G19 w/ suppressor sights. It definitely takes getting used to. SCARCQB is right, you have to search for the sight for a second, unlike a rifle. I think I just need to shoot it some more, and get used to it.

IgotAgun

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 20, 2015
    I'm with SCARCQB. Glock had the right idea in the sense that optics are awesome, but they screwed it up by not using suppressor height irons. A lone red dot alone on a pistol can be hard to find quickly, even with practice.

Kinda on the expensive side, but I really don't have any high end pistols, either.

I wouldn't recommend the Tritium RMR. They have reviewed very poorly. Apparently the dots wash out when moving from dark to light or vice versa. Just check the reviews out, you will see what I mean.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I don't use them anymore. They are slower to pickup when presenting and the lenses foul up from suppressor blowback and from riding in a holster.

IgotAgun

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 20, 2015

I wouldn't recommend the Tritium RMR. They have reviewed very poorly. Apparently the dots wash out when moving from dark to light or vice versa. Just check the reviews out, you will see what I mean.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    I just mounted a RMR to my G19 w/ suppressor sights. It definitely takes getting used to. SCARCQB is right, you have to search for the sight for a second, unlike a rifle. I think I just need to shoot it some more, and get used to it.

I ran into the same issue when I had the optic on a mounting plate that attached to the rear dovetail. It was less of an issue after I had the slide cut so I could mount the optic directly to the slide.

It still does take some getting used to, and a fair amount of practice up front. But follow up shots are a lot quicker.

I'd look at the RM07 if I were going to do another one. 6.5moa red dot, and adjustable intensity.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    The comments on finding the dot/speed are training issues vs. issues with mounting an optic on the pistol. Training with a RDO on the pistol will make you a better pistol shot with iron sights if you are dedicated, and understand what you are doing. Examples:

Tune into Jerry Mickulek's YouTube channel, and listen to him talk about consistency. A big issue with pistol is stance and presentation. He talks about drawing and bringing the gun up naturally vs. shrugging the shoulders, etc.. It's all about taking variables out of the overall equation. When you shrug, you may shrug a hair more one time than the next. With an optic, that may be the difference between seeing or not seeing the dot. With iron sights, you will not see the result of this very minor deviation until the POI. Even then, you may attribute it to breathing vs. stance/presentation. Make sense?

The other thing an RDO really provides feedback on is how your sights are moving- follow the bouncing dot. Learning how to break the shot is much easier with a red dot than with irons.

Are there downsides? Sure, but the positives outweigh the negatives. RDOs on pistols are the future.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    RDOs on pistols are the future.

^ This. Look what they've done for rifles. They will have the same effect on pistols. Will they all have them? No. No RD needed on a tiny carry piece for example. But all rifles don't have them either. Just the ones that benefit. For certain segments of pistol use they will become standard.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    For competition or actual conceal&carry? It seems to me the red dot is another thing to get in the way?

It depends on the size of the red-dot and how you carry. An Aimpoint PRO will obviously be cumbersome, but a TRS-25 won't. And a small red-dot won't be a problem with Open Carry.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    For competition or actual conceal&carry? It seems to me the red dot is another thing to get in the way?

I know guys that appendix carry G17s w/ RMR and SF X300U. A RMR is no big deal. It all depends on the threat, carry environment, and wardrobe requirements.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    It depends on the size of the red-dot and how you carry. An Aimpoint PRO will obviously be cumbersome, but a TRS-25 won't. And a small red-dot won't be a problem with Open Carry.

Why is an AP PRO in the conversation of concealing a handgun? I can conceal a handgun mounted AP T1. It's not as comfortable as a RMR, but more reliable. It depends on your requirements.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Why is an AP PRO in the conversation of concealing a handgun? I can conceal a handgun mounted AP T1. It's not as comfortable as a RMR, but more reliable. It depends on your requirements.

Because someone asked about cumbersome and I gave an extreme answer :innocent0 Also, I have a full-sized Aimpoint clone on my Ruger MK II.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    l4y6kA1l.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater