• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I have those trijicons from that shop, on that day. I like being able to see the glowing lights to find the gun on the nightstand in a dark bedroom.

The only issue I have is the stock sites are easier to see in the daytime.

Also, I keep getting dirt, lint, etc in the trijicon holes, occluding the radioactive vial of fluid and I haven't found anything I could clean it with yet.

If they painted the Trigicon white too, and made it flush, it would be a winner.

Mine are flush, although I could see where the glass over the glow juice could get dirty. I agree that it doesn't pop as much as three white dots.
    (When I first got mine I thought the glow part was recessed down in the white outline hole a little. I actually had to touch it with a toothpick to tell that it was flush.)

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I would go with either Trijicon or Meprolight, with different colored rear dots than the front. In the end though it's whatever you feel the most comfortable with.

Trijicon and Meprolight should both thank Glock enormously for continuing to insist using that hideous (IMHO) plastic rear U-sight as the factory standard. I can only guess how many sets of replacement sights that alone has sold.

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    I added (and by I, I mean Seth at 2A) Meprolight Tru Dots to my G27 during my 7 day wait. Mine are orange rears with a green front.

I'll definitely be adding them to my G22 now.

5653f937a4b5ec7d28be7d0b3f176412.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PIRANHA

Greek Redneck
    Sep 22, 2013
    Essex, Maryland
    I have ameriglo spartan tactical sights on my G30. Great sights and very easy to pickup in a high stress situation. I highly recommend them. My number 2 pick would me the ameriglo I-dot Pro. I have used both sets of sights on several firearms and they are excellent choices for target shooting and self defense high stress situations.

SPARTAN TACTICAL
    GL446%20GL448.jpg

The image shows rear dots but they are plain black in the rear and HD orange front. The rear has 2 tritium vials for 3 dot target acquisition in low light. Definitely makes a sight that is great in all lighting conditions.

PRO I-Dot
    GL201.jpg

chrisflhtc

Jan 28, 2010
    Hagerstown
    I have this in the rear(tritium/fiber optic) and this in front on my 23.You stack the dots.
    Quoted from their page
    "Main TJ sight advantages:
    Quick target acquisition using a one line of sights to target with a 6 o` clock hold ,using the TJ sight and your front sight as an 8 ball pattern.
    Quick adjustment for windage with our new torx wrench retaining system."

Chris

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I train and qualify every year with a M&P 40 with factory tritium night sights. To be honest I'm not sure if I even "use" the rear sights during night fire because we are always told "front sight front sight". I will have to pay attention next time to see if I do. Regardless I shot a 249/250 in 10 degree weather in February.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I have put MeproLight TruDots on most of my pistols. I like them a lot, they are brighter than the Trijicons (IMO), cost a few $ less, and it keeps the sights on various pistols consistent. I have taken factory fiber optic sights off and put TruDots on.

I was going to have them put on my most recent pistol, but they were out of stock. I decided to go with the new TruGlo TFX's - a combination of fiber optic and tritium (day/night) encapsulated in a protective tube and protected by the metal - though they are still relatively compact compared to the older TFO's. I like them to, but they are a little pricey still.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Dawson Precision hands down. I recommend their plain adjustable rear sight, and either a tritium or fiber optic front.

Rear: Sight/Glock/RearAdj/All/Blk/.125N/Requires .285 to .300 Tall Front/Tools Included
    017-012

If your POI is low with a stock glock sight set-up, use the .285 height front sight. The rear notch is .125. The width of your front sight depends on the balance you want/need for speed vs. precise aiming. The widths available are:
    .125- bulleye type shooting
    .100- good balance
    .090- speed

I recommend .100.

I am a Glock Advanced Armorer if you need assistance with installation. PM me if that is the case.

Pretoria78

URX Fan
    Mar 30, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Hi!
    Like the title says I am looking for sight suggestions for a glock 19 for carry and for target shooting. I **think** I prefer a plain rear sight.

So are straight metal sights ok?

Is it worth it to get an illuminated front sight?

What brands and models are a good value?

I don't mind spending money if needed- but I'm not much into brands for brands same...you know what I mean.

Thank you!
    Tom

Tom,
    I've opted to install the excellent Trijicon HD's on my Glock 17's. I'd previously used the Heinie Slant Pro steel sights, but employing them in low light became problematic. I'm very happy with the HD's, but they're not the most inexpensive option out there.

scribe556

Apr 3, 2009
    I went with the Ameriglo Pro I dot series.

I'll tell you why. For me, lining up two glowing tritium dots vertically in the dark was much more instinctive, efficient, and less error prone than lining up three dots horizontally. Even if the front dot is color coded. I have XS 24/7 night sights on another pistol and the vertical orientation to me is quicker under stress.

As researcher who specializes in cognitive performance, simple vertical (or vernier acuity) is a human natural ability that's more refined than horizontal acuity. And, with 2 bits of info to align instead of 3, you're reducing error and performance time due to fewer visual-mental processing elements. On top of that, the way you draw and bring a weapon "up" into your foveal vision is further aided with a vertically-aligned visual cue set. Then, the front sight focus is assisted by only one other alignment cue (rear right dot) and not two horizontal ones.

I tried it several times in the dark with both types of sights (3-dot and vertical 2-dot or dot-on-stick in the XS sights case). It works for me.

But, you may have practiced with 3-dots which may trump any new sight config in performance until it's rote visual and muscle memory.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My recommendation would be the front sight a night sight only.
    Firstly, the sight is basically to locate your pistol at night laying on the nightstand :)

Secondly, MOST people have an issue lining up the sights in the VERY dark. Unless you have a different color front sight post, chances of having that front sight lined up to the left or right of the rear sight dots (i.e... any 3 dots lined up) is highly probable.

Third... your self defense shot will also most likely be be very close where you will point shoot anyway. Seeing just a front sight post lined up center mass at these distances, pretty sure you get a first round hit.

Point shooting under stress will override any sighting ritual you have.

My .02

kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    Hi!
    Like the title says I am looking for sight suggestions for a glock 19 for carry and for target shooting. I **think** I prefer a plain rear sight.

So are straight metal sights ok?

Is it worth it to get an illuminated front sight?

What brands and models are a good value?

I don't mind spending money if needed- but I'm not much into brands for brands same...you know what I mean.

Thank you!
    Tom

I was just about to post the same question about a Glock 34 except I'd use it for target, home defense, and maybe IDPA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom