• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wade234

Feb 12, 2011
    Mechanicsville, MD
    What about the Sig 1911 22. I have the Sig 1911 and the Mosquito and like the 1911 better not as picky about the ammo.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Call Vince at Duffy's. he had rugers, SIGs, m&p and a couple based in the 1911 design when I was there yesterday.

---
    Shamr0ck

I'd vote the old basic Ruger MKI or II. They are built like tanks, with an receiver / action more like a rifle than a pistol, & no plastic, composite or alloy parts. Plus if you don't get a long or bull barrel you get close to that Luger-like ballance (feels almost like your aiming with you finger). Parts, including some nice aftermarket grips, & magazines are easy to find. Only well known problem is you can damage it if you reassemble it wrong. There's even a warning about that issue in the owners manual.

buzzsaw

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Hagerstown
    I was at a tossup between the M&P 22 and the Ruger 22. The ruger had a smaller grip (my wife is much smaller than I am) as well as a 2nd mag, but I figured that if I were to ever shoot the 22 as well, I'd want it to fit my hand comfortably too. My vote would be either of those two pistols, but if it's gonna be a wife-only toy, make sure she gets it in her hands to decide.

iggy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 26, 2013
    I love my Ruger mark iii target, but I would recommend going to rivers site and watch the videos on field stripping. It's the only gun I have ever owned that I have to beat apart with a hammer. I keep reading that they loosen up over time, but I have around 1000 round through mine, field stripped it at least 10-12 times and it still needs the hammer for assembly and disassembly.
    Btw, it eats any ammo and shoots very straight

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    In order of preference (from an instructors POV):

Browning Buckmark (low maint factor)
    S&W 22A
    Ruger Mark II/III
    Ruger 22/45
    Sig Mosquito (Ammo queen)
    SR22

I don't know about the browning but we've but over 7k rounds thru a ruger mark ll and it still is very accurate and zero problems

bmonast

Feb 1, 2011
    Gamber, MD
    What 9mm does she shoot? My recommendation would be to closely match the .22 to her primary handgun (grip angle, sight radius etc.). For example, I have a Colt Ace .22 and a Les Baer Custom .45. I mainly shoot the .22 for practice so when I pick up the big gun (and the expensive ammo) my shots, theoretically anyway, are consistently better. So if she uses a Sig, then go with a complimentary Sig in .22. Muscle memory over time is a good thing. FWIW, I also have a Buckmark and a High Standard Victor as well.

W McCollum

May 16, 2013
    Columbia, Maryland
    My wife would like to get a 22lr semi auto handgun before 10/1. She currently owns a 9mm. Neither one of us has any experience with a 22 handgun. Any advice would be appreciated. Our usual haunts don't have anything in stock. If you can point us to someone with inventory that might help also. Thanks
    I prefer the Ruger SR22. It isn't picky about ammunition and it has two grip sleeves that allow you to easily fit it to your hand. The threaded barrel gives you the option of later adding a compensator or a suppressor.

Deepwoods

New Guy...
    Aug 17, 2010
    CZ 75 Kadet...

Probably not a great bang for the buck--it is neither cheap, nor easy to find--but it's a nice, all-steel gun, little recoil, adjustable sights, and is of very high quality.

Most people I have talked with who pick up a CZ--any model--comment how nice it feels in hand.

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    Ruger Mark II/III or Sig Mosquito. The Mark II/III eats anything. The Mosquito, some say, can be finicky about what it likes to eat, but I've never had that problem. Both are more accurate than any other .22 pistol I have ever used.

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    CZ 75 Kadet...

Probably not a great bang for the buck--it is neither cheap, nor easy to find--but it's a nice, all-steel gun, little recoil, adjustable sights, and is of very high quality.

Most people I have talked with who pick up a CZ--any model--comment how nice it feels in hand.

I agree. My CZ 75 Kadet is my favorite .22 pistol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom