• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jbelt11

Sep 14, 2017
    Harford county
    What are the regulations on building an ar15 in Maryland I've been trying to read through some threads and see but not really finding what I'm looking for. If you build an ar does it have to be hbar ? Does barrel length matter ?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Any rifle build must be HBAR and >=16" barrel. This includes any permanently attached muzzle device.( Unless you purchased the receiver prior to Oct 1, 2013.)

You may also build a pistol. In which case, barrel length and profile does not matter. (It must be a receiver that has never been configured into a rifle)

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    There is some great info in this thread on the Charlie Foxtrot regulations foisted on Marylanders by the FSA 2013:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=109281

Cliff Notes follow:

For a rifle, you must have an HBAR barrel and the length must be 16" or more.

You cannot have more than one of the "evil features:
    1. Folding stock
    2. Grenade or flare launcher
    3. Flash hider

For a pistol there are no barrel profile limitations.

If you build a SBR (short barrel rifle), you must jump through all of the ATF's hoops to get your $200 tax stamp. You must also follow the peculiar to Maryland OAL>29" rule.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    I'm assuming you need an hql to build an ar pistol ?

You need an HQL to purchase an already built pistol but not to buy a stripped lower and build your own. The stripped lower will still be transferred with the same foolishness the MSP attaches to pistols except for the HQL.

Jbelt11

Sep 14, 2017
    Harford county
    thanks appreciate the link and info man .. if one was purchased before 2013 is it okay to have folding stock and flash suppressor ? Since it's before the ban

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    You need an HQL to purchase an already built pistol but not to buy a stripped lower and build your own. The stripped lower will still be transferred with the same foolishness the MSP attaches to pistols except for the HQL.

If by stripped lower you mean AR type, yes.

But there seems to be some confusion if the stripped lower is say a Glock stripped lower. Technically this could be built into a rifle.... but ive heard for "pistol" type lowers MSP wants HQL?

Desmo

New to This
    Sep 15, 2017
    Howard Co.
    Hi I'm new to this site I was recently denied I file a appeal .....now sure why does this happen to a lot of new rifle purchasers

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Hi I'm new to this site I was recently denied I file a appeal .....now sure why does this happen to a lot of new rifle purchasers

Welcome to the forum. You will get a better response to your question if you first introduce yourself to the forum in the "Introductions" folder:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119

and then either use the "Search" function with "NICS" as a search term and review the results for a thread with a title which sounds similar to your predicament.

Or you can start a new thread in this folder, giving it a title which matches your question and a post body with a bit of information about why you were denied, what you were purchasing, and anything in your personal history which might be the cause of the denial.

Tacking an unrelated question on an existing thread seldom elicits helpful responses and is also unhelpful to those in a similar situation who are searching the forum for answers. Folks on the forum are usually very patient and helpful but the more information we have about a situation, the easier it is to provide and accurate answer.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Welcome to the forum. You will get a better response to your question if you first introduce yourself to the forum in the "Introductions" folder:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119

and then either use the "Search" function with "NICS" as a search term and review the results for a thread with a title which sounds similar to your predicament.

Or you can start a new thread in this folder, giving it a title which matches your question and a post body with a bit of information about why you were denied, what you were purchasing, and anything in your personal history which might be the cause of the denial.

Tacking an unrelated question on an existing thread seldom elicits helpful responses and is also unhelpful to those in a similar situation who are searching the forum for answers. Folks on the forum are usually very patient and helpful but the more information we have about a situation, the easier it is to provide and accurate answer.

+1 :thumbsup:

Regulus91

Aug 3, 2017
    Myersville, MD
    I actually had a few related questions of my own - are flash hiders perfectly okay on fixed-stock ARs? Also, does a barrel have to be marked "HBAR" or "heavy" anywhere on it, or does any barrel over .750" in diameter that maintains a constant profile and doesn't have the M203 cutout count? Do I need to keep a copy on me (whenever I go to the range) of the seller's webpage with me that shows it's advertised as a "HBAR" upper?

The upper in question is a 20" DSArms HBAR flat-top upper with the A2-style flash hider and a constant profile throughout. Thanks guys!

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    I actually had a few related questions of my own - are flash hiders perfectly okay on fixed-stock ARs?

A flash hider is GTG on a fixed or telescoping AR stock, unless you also have a grenade laucher.

Also, does a barrel have to be marked "HBAR" or "heavy" anywhere on it, or does any barrel over .750" in diameter that maintains a constant profile and doesn't have the M203 cutout count? Do I need to keep a copy on me (whenever I go to the range) of the seller's webpage with me that shows it's advertised as a "HBAR" upper?

The upper in question is a 20" DSArms HBAR flat-top upper with the A2-style flash hider and a constant profile throughout. Thanks guys!

An "HBAR" barrel has never been properly defined by MSP. It's one of those "we'll know it when we see it" things. If the barrel is called an HBAR in the advertisements for the firearm, you should be okay. How much documentation of that you want to carry around is up to you. I never bothered. If it makes you feel happy, print a copy of the ad and stash it in your case.

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    Every stripped receiver should be assembled as a pistol FIRST, and documented and photographed (or even marked!) as such. There are huge advantages to doing this, in that court precedent has shown that a pistol can later be temporarily configured as a rifle, and then go back to being a pistol again. A rifle however can ONLY be a rifle. Or be registered as a SBR, with the attendant forms and tax. Building it as a pistol negates some of these issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom