• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Father living in MD, son living outside state. Father has both handguns & long guns, wants to transfer ownership to son.

Does he need a FFL or unregulated?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Father living in MD, son living outside state. Father has both handguns & long guns, wants to transfer ownership to son.

Does he need a FFL or unregulated?

See 18 usc 922(a)(3):
    It is unlawful:
    (3) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector
    to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity,
    the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such
    person outside that State,
    except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a
    firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the
    firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in
    that State, (B) shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in conformity with subsection
    (b)(3) of this section, and (C) shall not apply to the transportation of any firearm acquired in any State
    prior to the effective date of this chapter

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Since son is out of state, an FFL must be involved for all firearms.

Handguns require FFL in son's state.
    Long guns can be FFL here, there, or anywhere.

It wasn't asked yet, but the next questions are :

By law , Dad can either ship directly, or deliver in person to out of state FFL . Not all FFL care to recieve from non-FFL , and some will accept in person, but not by common carrier . Ask first.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    See 18 usc 922(a)(3):
    It is unlawful:
    (3) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector
    to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity,
    the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such
    except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a
    firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the
    firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in
    that State, (B) shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in conformity with subsection
    (b)(3) of this section, and (C) shall not apply to the transportation of any firearm acquired in any State
    Any version of this for those of us that went to public school?

deesly1

Nov 16, 2011
    See 18 usc 922(a)(3):
    It is unlawful:

So which state is regulating the law. let's take PA transfer between wife/husband Parent/child, or grand parent/grandchild DOES NOT NEED ANY PAPER TRAIL...NO FFL. Check PA code. So which state would regulate that exchange? PA Firearms code 18 Pa.C.S. § 6111

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    So which state is regulating the law. let's take PA transfer between wife/husband Parent/child, or grand parent/grandchild DOES NOT NEED ANY PAPER TRAIL...NO FFL. Check PA code. So which state would regulate that exchange?

Federal law supercedes state law and any interstate transfer requires an FFL to facilitate. Even between residents of the same state. So if I toted, let's say a Mosin to the G-burg show and an MD resident wanted to buy it, I would have to either go through an FFL, OR come back to MD and folliw MD's laws which allow me to sell FTF.

deesly1

Nov 16, 2011
    Federal law supercedes state law and any interstate transfer requires an FFL to facilitate. Even between residents of the same state. So if I toted, let's say a Mosin to the G-burg show and an MD resident wanted to buy it, I would have to either go through an FFL, OR come back to MD and folliw MD's laws which allow me to sell FTF.

So what is the Federal Law that governs the Transfer between immediate family because that is what is in question. Not some random seller from state A to state B!

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Federal law makes no distinction for family members.

Correct. You have to obey both federal law and state law. E.G. Federal law allows (in (b)(3) of Section 922) a FFL to sell a long gun to an out of state resident, as long as the sale is permissible under the law of both the state in which the sale is taking place AND the law of the state in which the out of state person resides. Thus, a MD resident couldn't go to to a PA FFL to buy an AR banned in MD.

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    But if they are stored at his house and are not illegal in his state transfering is not Needed when my grandfather died and guns had been willed to me MSP Said I can bring them to Maryland prior to oct 2013

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Inherit is NOT the same as transferring between living parties.

If the owner is resident of one state and recipient is resident of a different state, FFL MUST be involved. Or, if you get caught, you are guilty of a felony, and the gov will get ALL the firearms, and you will never be able to own one again.

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    How does one prove or not prove the long gun where f tf transfer prior to the new law?

Regulus91

Aug 3, 2017
    Myersville, MD
    Inherit is NOT the same as transferring between living parties.

If the owner is resident of one state and recipient is resident of a different state, FFL MUST be involved. Or, if you get caught, you are guilty of a felony, and the gov will get ALL the firearms, and you will never be able to own one again.

I was under the impression though that you could go to PA and buy any non-NFA, non-MD FSA2013 regulated long gun and bring it back to MD "cash and carry" over the state line. I'm not challenging you, I just need help understanding this. Does this thread only cover transfers between two private parties where neither party leaves their respective state of residence, and instead must ship the long gun through an FFL?

Could the son living in PA go to MD and buy, say, a Remington 870 with a 24" barrel for waterfowl hunting from a Walmart and take it back to PA, or can he only buy one from an FFL in MD and have it shipped to an FFL in PA?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The son (or any non-Prohibited Person of proper age) my purchase a rifle or shotgun from FL in Md over the counter and take home to Pa ( subject to rifle or shotgun being legal in both states ). The key phrase is FFL , can not be from private person .

This is same for any non-Prohibited Person, equally in either geographic direction.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I was under the impression though that you could go to PA and buy any non-NFA, non-MD FSA2013 regulated long gun and bring it back to MD "cash and carry" over the state line. I'm not challenging you, I just need help understanding this. Does this thread only cover transfers between two private parties where neither party leaves their respective state of residence, and instead must ship the long gun through an FFL?

Could the son living in PA go to MD and buy, say, a Remington 870 with a 24" barrel for waterfowl hunting from a Walmart and take it back to PA, or can he only buy one from an FFL in MD and have it shipped to an FFL in PA?

Answer is that 922(a)(3) creates a general ban for all firearms (including long guns), but then makes an express exception for long guns sold by a dealer to a non-resident under 922(b)(3), which provides:

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to
    sell or deliver--

(3) any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or
    if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in
    which the licensee's place of business is located,
    except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale or
    delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee's place of business
    is located if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer,
    importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph, in the absence of evidence to
    the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of both States), and (B)
    shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    Answer is that 922(a)(3) creates a general ban for all firearms (including long guns), but then makes an express exception for long guns sold by a dealer to a non-resident under 922(b)(3), which provides:

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to
    sell or deliver--

(3) any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or
    if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in
    which the licensee's place of business is located,
    except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale or
    delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee's place of business
    is located if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer,
    importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph, in the absence of evidence to
    the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of both States), and (B)
    shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes

Well how is that 5 year hunting trip your son used your firearms for just saying

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

Well how is that 5 year hunting trip your son used your firearms for just saying

I don't give legal advice to folks on the fora, but playing cute with a federal felony rap is not something I would ever do......

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom