• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Recon_D0c

May 30, 2017
    Reading up and have been mentally dedicating to LWRC as my first rifle purchase, admittly I think the monoforge is a horrendous idea, their bolt is top-notch and what I would carry going down range. The lack of ability to shop aftermarket rails is a serious problem, but I was just going to cut and weld a new one on, but I'm starting to see people on other forums complain about reliability or lack of trust in the gun. Is this a new problem? I was under the impression that LWRC made top notch stuff especially with how they're represented on this forum. Opinions? Wanting to support a MD company but if they're going downhill they're going downhill

And link to just one example of people manifesting complaints: https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/L...systems-/126-710425/&page=1&anc=bottom#bottom

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I wouldn't let a couple of guys whining about design innovation (or lack thereof) on ar15.com deter me from buying an LWRC product.

cb1980

Jul 25, 2016
    I haven't looked at or shot any of their 2017 line up, but I have an 2016 MY LWRC DI gun and have had 0 issues out of it, have fired several thousand rounds through it and all have been trouble free. is it perfect? could it be improved upon? of course, but I got the gun with the idea of not changing a bunch of stuff on it. the quad rail is exactly what I wanted so the fact its not interchangeable other than the other rail now offered is not a bother to me. I would have liked to seen a better trigger and buis at the price point, but it didn't stop me from buying it. Will I buy another? that I can't say, I do have my eye on another rifle or 2 but need to put my hands on them before I make a final decision

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    From reading it, these are whiny just got to be perfect 500 dollar AR15 coinsures. Sometimes I think just because it doesn't suit their tastes IT OFFENSIVE...SORT OF LIKE A SNOWFLAKE...

In essence the Stoner AR/M16 was the innovation and everything after it is just improvements and migrations of function.

I mean take the Catlin Gun...now you have Electric Mini 556's spitting out 3k a minute...50 BMG Gats on Humvees....40mm on A10s.

Hey look at the "AK47" its been around since "1947" and has the same evolution.

JMO handle the weapon you plan to buy and go from there your using it not the Nay Sayers...

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I have personally stayed away from LWRC stuff simply because I don't like the idea of non standard/proprietary parts. I'm a tinker when it comes to guns and I like the idea of being able to customize and change a gun if I don't like something about it. It's hard to do with an LWRC if it has proprietary and/or custom parts.

The other disadvantage in my mind is that LWRC is not Remmington, Winchester, S&W, etc. LWRC is an innovative company, but they have a narrow focus which makes it susceptible to market changes and if the company were to go under or be sold there is no guarantee of future availability of parts. Like it or not, parts break and wear out on every gun. A Mil Spec AR will have part availability for a very very very long time.

Again, this is not a complaint in any way about LWRC quality as the few that I have handled and shot have been very nice guns. Ultimately it comes down to what the buyer values.

Gskwared

Supreme Being
    Feb 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    I personally find the complaining about LWRC and POF (both piston guns) to be unfounded. 95% of the time the complaining is from a guy who "has a friend" that has issues with them. It's never the actual owner complaining. I personally have 2 LWRC rifles and a POF in .308 and I love them. Never had an issue. I have the older design and yes the proprietary parts issues do worry me but mostly if LWRC no longer makes parts to support it.

The moral of the story is, don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Daveyboysmith

There's a search box?!?!
    Aug 10, 2011
    Ellicott city
    Just bought one of their DI guns and took it to Delmarva last weekend. 200 trouble free rounds down range so far with a variety of different mags.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I think the idea going into buying an LWRC, you don't have/Need to change anything. The handguard design is constraining. You don't have keymod or Mlok parts compatibility with older rifles. They make the DI gun with Mlok now. They build one of the best AR15 out there. They are an IP ,you can ask Logan anything. He'll help you understand what their up to. Heck, I don't even own one!

chevellenut71

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Cape Saint Clare / Annapolis
    From reading it, these are whiny just got to be perfect 500 dollar AR15 coinsures. Sometimes I think just because it doesn't suit their tastes IT OFFENSIVE...SORT OF LIKE A SNOWFLAKE...

In essence the Stoner AR/M16 was the innovation and everything after it is just improvements and migrations of function.

I mean take the Catlin Gun...now you have Electric Mini 556's spitting out 3k a minute...50 BMG Gats on Humvees....40mm on A10s.

Hey look at the "AK47" its been around since "1947" and has the same evolution.

JMO handle the weapon you plan to buy and go from there your using it not the Nay Sayers...

:thumbsup:

Daveyboysmith

There's a search box?!?!
    Aug 10, 2011
    Ellicott city
    I think the idea going into buying an LWRC, you don't have/Need to change anything. The handguard design is constraining. You don't have keymod or Mlok parts compatibility with older rifles. They make the DI gun with Mlok now. They build one of the best AR15 out there. They are an IP ,you can ask Logan anything. He'll help you understand what their up to. Heck, I don't even own one!

Exactly why I bought mine. Wanted something to trust my life on. Added an optic. Done.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Their DI Rifles would be better if they stopped using coatings like NiB.

Gas Piston AR's are less reliable gimmicks.

If you want a GP gun buy one that isn't an AR.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm DI all the way unless we're talking about a sub 12" gun

Short Piston Guns have higher rates of issues with extraction. It increases when a suppressor or booster is installed. I saw LWRC guns with fixed gas block and suppressors installed, beat the piston cup up before they went to adjustable gas.

What happens with a direct impingement gun is the gas system works as an expansion chamber which delays the extraction process. This delayed extraction allows the casing pressure to drop significantly to ease extraction.

Whith a gas piston system there is no delay it immediately starts to unlock and try to pull the casing from the chamber.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I haven't ran my DI rifle a whole lot yet, probably 150 rounds or so, but it didn't have a single hiccup at that point.

I certainly wish I would have known better and held off buying it for a while as you can get one for a 1/3 of the price now then you could before the election.

I also didn't think about so many parts being proprietary before buying as well. I certainly would have given consideration to this knowing then what I do now.

Do I think it makes for any less of a rifle, certainly not. This was a buy me and simply add an optic to be done with it rifle from the start that is very accurate and does what I ask.

Do I feel silly for paying 1400 dollars for a rifle that is now all over the place for less than 1100 dollars, OH YEAH... But, you live, you learn :)

Kabookie

Jun 21, 2015
    Pasadena, MD
    As an M6-IC owner I totally agree with all the complaints about the modification limitations on LWRC products. In comparison...As a Honda Civic owner I can install countless after market modifications to get the car to fit my personnel needs. Whyyyyyy would I ever have the need to buy a Lamborghini. :sarcasm:

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Well I have two LWRC REPR's and I've decided that I'll order some spare parts like piston springs, extractor, extractor spring and maybe a piston rod.
    As for any rifle being proprietary I never gave it much worry.
    For example, many of my hunting rifles are Browning and they are full of proprietary parts.
    So are my Marlin, Cooper, Freedom Arms, Sig and other rifles & handguns.
    If you're concerned about getting spare parts consider the number of rifles in circulation and the company behind their manufacture.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I think people worry incase the company goes out of business or is bought out with a change of direction like not supporting obsolete models.

It's no different than anything else but the AR is unique since the standard DI gun has had decades of parts that you can swap out without needing the original manufacturer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom