• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    ( Note, this belongs to #1 Shooting and Handloading Partner. The range session generally has its thread in Rec Shooting.)

The 'zine writeups say everthing is new and inovative. This time there is truth to it. Floating breech face with steel to steel lockup in battery. The alloy frame is non-load bearing. So this allows for a lightweight gun. Also as the spacers to adjust pitch and cast off. Also insert to be able to adjust comb height.

Not sure if he adjusted to fithimself, but it fits me perfectly. Ok, I could use 1/2 longer, but I'm use to stocks sized for mortals.

The balance is at the hindge pin. Nuetral balance, very lively.

Using it with 12v pigeon thrower, I was hitting many more than I usually do.

It hits high. On rising targets, holding on. The target gives breaks into large pieces. Holding under rising target gives more emphatic breaks. ( Its been a while , but I know how to mount a shotgun, and how ribs and beads are supposed to be in relationship. So it really was shooting high.)

Not really Bad News per se, but some potential incongruities.

The main designer from Benelli said in an intervier with Am Rifleman that the 828U is intended to be an all around shotgun, with emphasis on hunting. Cool. That's legit, and in line with my preferences. But , most shotguns aimed gor that ma t ket segment are more moderately priced. Most buyers that spend msrp $2500 are usually into clay games.

Sub 7lb is great for actual hunting where you carry it a lot, and shoot occasionally. Most trap/ skeet-/ SC shooters prefer heavier. Likewise they usually prefer a somewhat muzzle foreward balance.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I had a chance to shoot one briefly today, side by side next to my Browning Cynergy, it felt almost a pound lighter. I'm a target shooter and even though the gun is a "field" gun, the Benelli guy was showing it off at a Sporting clay shoot. It's got some features I don't care for, as soon as you close the breech it puts the safety back on automatically.

The big thumb thumbs down for me was the price. It cost just as much as a Browning 725 and IMO, the quality of it was a step or two below my field grade Cynergy, which was around ~$1800.

I wouldn't buy one when you can buy a tried and true 725 or the Beretta equivalents for the same price as a target gun.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Lots of guns have automatic safties, presumably somebody likes them

It's a new design , and so far is in just one configuration, to wit hunting. But with only one flavor, it has to get promoted to all market segments.

Somewhere up the corperate chain, Beretta isn't stupid , and knows that specific Sporting Clay, Trap, and possably Skeet flavors will drive sales in ( non-junk) O/U's . Presumably those will be coming. Somebody at corperate signed off on single flavor rollout.

To me all non-junk O/U fall into the catagory of way more than I'd afford/ bring myself to spend if I could squeeze it, so I don't have any feel for gradations of too freaking expensive.

Yes, playing with this one was enjoyable, and don't have reference to lnoe how much is Benelli specific, and how much ( non-junk) O/U generally. But with any of them costing as much as armloads of pumps, can't see spending on any of them.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    My biggest laugh was the price. I don't get it, its not competitive to the other "B" guns in its class.

Presumably a target gun could be over $3000 if their low end field model has a $2,400/$2,500 MSRP. That's like caesar guerini competition

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    any add'l info, updates etc on the benelli 828? i know they're two different animals, but i have and like benelli m2 and sbe2 and am considering an o/u. any add'l thoughts appreciated.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Even a year after my post, I haven't noticed any in the Sporting Clay world. I'm not sure how many hunters are spending $2,600 field O/U that tries to solve problems that don't exist.

The best thing you can say is that it's different, and that might be the best selling point.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Lots of guns have automatic safties, presumably somebody likes them

It's a new design , and so far is in just one configuration, to wit hunting. But with only one flavor, it has to get promoted to all market segments.

Somewhere up the corperate chain, Beretta isn't stupid , and knows that specific Sporting Clay, Trap, and possably Skeet flavors will drive sales in ( non-junk) O/U's . Presumably those will be coming. Somebody at corperate signed off on single flavor rollout.

To me all non-junk O/U fall into the catagory of way more than I'd afford/ bring myself to spend if I could squeeze it, so I don't have any feel for gradations of too freaking expensive.

Yes, playing with this one was enjoyable, and don't have reference to lnoe how much is Benelli specific, and how much ( non-junk) O/U generally. But with any of them costing as much as armloads of pumps, can't see spending on any of them.

The Beretta field o/u guns have auto safeties. That is why I have a 686 Onyx sporting clays gun that I used to use for hunting until I got the SBE. I am a fan of the Benelli semis for the most part. I like the Beretta semis for their soft recoil and the Benelli semis because they just keep on going, and going, and going.

Doubt I would be buying the Benelli 828U anytime soon, or ever. I don't like an automatic safety on any of my guns, and the pricepoint for that type of gun is just a little too high for me. I'd buy the Benelli Sport performance shop semi before I bought the 828U.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    my understanding is you can remove a spring in the receiver/trigger group and that will disable the safety auto-on function; i don't like that either. sportsmans warehouse, mostly out west, has a store in morgantown, wv and i may order one of these and have it shipped there to check it out. on sale there now for $2k. anyone know of any stores in the NOVA area that might have some to check out?

i know nothing about o/u's - what else should i check out in the sub-$2k range and why? this would be used for clays (sporting, skeet, trap, wobble) and most likely not hunting. thanks!

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    my understanding is you can remove a spring in the receiver/trigger group and that will disable the safety auto-on function; i don't like that either. sportsmans warehouse, mostly out west, has a store in morgantown, wv and i may order one of these and have it shipped there to check it out. on sale there now for $2k. anyone know of any stores in the NOVA area that might have some to check out?

i know nothing about o/u's - what else should i check out in the sub-$2k range and why? this would be used for clays (sporting, skeet, trap, wobble) and most likely not hunting. thanks!

I would not consider an O/U shotgun for clay sports that weighs under 8 lbs, too light and it gets whippy and will beat you up shooting 1 1/8 heavy target loads, on a 200 bird day you will grow to hate it.
    For a little more than 2000 I would probably try the Browning 725 Sporting with 32" barrels.
    My choice would be to save a little more and spend 3300.00 for a Guerini Summit Sporting with 32" barrels, comes in right around 8 lbs depending on wood density, great trigger and moves wonderfully to target.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i just don't want to blow a lot on a o/u. if i can't get a nice one for just over $2k or less then i will just stick with my semi's. and by 'nice,' i'm not talking about wood, more so the trigger, smoothness, reliability and the like. again i know nothing about o/u, what are the critical attributes?

the browning 725 is $2700 and again i just don't want to spend that much on this type of firearm.

any inputs on the browning cynergy & citori, beretta 686 silver pigeon, all in that ~2k price range or below? again just for various clay games, not hunting. thx!

while i'm at it, what is the favored barrel length for playing all the clays games?

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Currently the standard seems to be 32" barrels for an O/U and 34" for a single barrel trap gun. I can't comment on the Brownings as I have never owned one, they just did not feel right to me. I did have a Beretta 687 combo set before my current Guerini and it was a good gun that I ran my first 100 straight with. Negatives with the Beretta were a loose feeling trigger and the action loosened up pretty quickly compared to my current Guerini.
    Both a Browning or a Beretta will serve you well and you can probably find a good used one in your price range.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Currently the standard seems to be 32" barrels for an O/U and 34" for a single barrel trap gun. I can't comment on the Brownings as I have never owned one, they just did not feel right to me. I did have a Beretta 687 combo set before my current Guerini and it was a good gun that I ran my first 100 straight with. Negatives with the Beretta were a loose feeling trigger and the action loosened up pretty quickly compared to my current Guerini.
    Both a Browning or a Beretta will serve you well and you can probably find a good used one in your price range.

Augie is right on. I just saw a Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporter (better than the field version) with 32" barrels and an adjustable comb on one of my shooting websites for $1800. Good deal.
    I sold a 30" barrel version about a year ago for $1600. My Beretta was still tight after 2 years, although I don't shoot as much as Augie.

And, the collective wisdom on a very popular clay site says (to sum it up) "stay away from the 828."

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    thanks for all the insight! if you guys don't mind continuing to answer some questions, i've got more... if i were to buy used, what are the top things (problems) to look for, and how easy are they to fix and what is that cost?

if new, what are the big diffs going from $2k to $3k? is it more just better wood and engraving, or are triggers and the like better?

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    thanks for all the insight! if you guys don't mind continuing to answer some questions, i've got more... if i were to buy used, what are the top things (problems) to look for, and how easy are they to fix and what is that cost?

if new, what are the big diffs going from $2k to $3k? is it more just better wood and engraving, or are triggers and the like better?

Bright shiny barrel interiors. No pitting or rust. Opening lever slightly to the right or better. (locking block rebuild can be expensive on some) Fore end tight. Open and close smoothly. Cosmetics are your call.

For me, that's about it as O/Us are pretty simple things with not much to go wrong.

Again, for me, the extra $1k gets you more weight with better balance, a crisper smoother trigger. More secure lock up. As you go up in grade, the wood and the bling gets better but the gun is pretty much the same. With Guerini you get the absolute best in customer service and they are in Cambridge MD.

Here are acouple off Shotgunworld.com
    For sale is a 2012 Caesar Guerini Summit Sporting 12 gauge w/ 32" ported barrels. Gun came back from Caesar Guerini in March of this year where their "Pit Stop" program was performed. Where anything that needed to be changed was changed and anything that needed adjusting was adjusted. Gun is mechanically sound and tight and has not been shot at all this year, 2017. Gun comes with the hard plastic lockable factory Caesar Guerini carrying case, full set of Guerini chokes; S,C,2-IC's,LM,and M chokes, factory friction choke wrench, and stock & barrel socks. Stock is a straight factory stock w/ right hand palm swell. LOP is 14 3/4" factory length. Price: $2,500 shipped w/ insurance to your FFL dealer in the cont. USA. Open links below for gun pictures or PM me for pictures and etc.

And this deal

Selling a Caesar Guerini Summit Impact. Only has been shot around a 1000 rounds in the last two years. Sent to CG for its first pit stop in June because I was looking to sell it. Comes with case, kinetic balancer, full set of chokes, and some pure gold chokes. $3000 firm

FYI. The Summit is Guerini's lowest grade gun. The Challenger and the Maxum are exactly the same gun with better wood and engraving. Then there are the Sporting, the Impact, and the Trap which have different features. (stock dimensions, rib height, adjsutable comb, etc.) All have same locking mechanism, trigger etc.

So for a reasonable priced mid to high level O/U I would go with a lightly used Guerini Summit Impact. If I didn't have one I would buy that Summit Impact for $3k. Gun retails for $5750 and sells for about 10% less sold new. The guys selling the above guns appear to be moving to Perazzi and Krieghoff.

ps: Wanna shoot one? Meet me at Loch Raven.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    thx again for all the detailed info, and the shoot offer, unfortunately you're well aways from me but if i travel near there i may hit you up.

i'm going to stay away from used. it's just a platform i know nothing about and don't want to take a chance given the $$ involved.

currently i'm thinking browning 725 sporting ($2400 gunbroker), citori cxt ($1797), citori cx ($1699) and beretta 686 sp1 sporting ($1900). trying to figure out the cost/benefit of the big step up from the cx/cxt to the 725, and what's better between the cx and cxt. i understand fit (to me) is the most important thing, so i will try to at least dry fire these. i am a lefty with long guns and beretta's come in lefty so that may be a plus. again any input and thoughts appreciated. also wondering the "must have" upgrades or accessories for any of these (trigger jobs, bigger or better sights, chokes, etc). super thanks again.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    thx again for all the detailed info, and the shoot offer, unfortunately you're well aways from me but if i travel near there i may hit you up.

i'm going to stay away from used. it's just a platform i know nothing about and don't want to take a chance given the $$ involved.

currently i'm thinking browning 725 sporting ($2400 gunbroker), citori cxt ($1797), citori cx ($1699) and beretta 686 sp1 sporting ($1900). trying to figure out the cost/benefit of the big step up from the cx/cxt to the 725, and what's better between the cx and cxt. i understand fit (to me) is the most important thing, so i will try to at least dry fire these. i am a lefty with long guns and beretta's come in lefty so that may be a plus. again any input and thoughts appreciated. also wondering the "must have" upgrades or accessories for any of these (trigger jobs, bigger or better sights, chokes, etc). super thanks again.

Davsco,

I also live in Loudoun and shoot at Bull Run. I have a couple of shotguns including a Caesar Guerini Summit that I'm picking up today from my FFL.
    Let me know if you would like to join me one day to try them out.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    rouchna and everyone else above, thanks again for the offers and input. went to sportsmans warehouse today in morgantown (i'm out in canaan right now) and played with browning 725 sporting, beretta 686 and browning cxt and the benelli 828. frankly i'm not good enough to tell the difference, fit-wise, they all seemed ok. i like the 725 better for a few reasons, especially the trigger. also a full fiber optic front and extended chokes. $2400 is the best i've seen on gunbroker so i may pull the trigger on one of these. and rouchna, i'll let you know next time i'm going to Bull Run, would be fun to try some other shotties but most of my time is spent on competitive action shooting (uspsa, 3 gun, etc) and i just don't want to drop a lot on something that won't be used more than 1x or 2x a month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom