• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Hello Everyone... first off, I am NOT a shotgun guy. Thirty+ years of shooting rifles has killed any hope of me ever being competitive. However, from spitting across the room distances and home defense, I can definitely see the utility in having one. My question to this group:

Are these legal in MD? http://www.jgsales.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=shockwave+590

They state that since the AL is not less than 26.5 inches, they're not an NFA itemeven though they sport a 14" barrel. Thoughts?

Nottherealfranco

MD Escapee
    Sep 24, 2014
    The shockwave is considered a pistol by MD, and is suppose to be added to the handgun roster. I'm not sure if it has been yet. If you search the term "shockwave" on the forum search function you'll see numerous threads about them.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    In my experience pistol grip 12 ga. shotguns are not comfortable to shoot so you might want to try one before you spend your money. Just a suggestion.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Raptor grip ( and similar "witness protection" grips) are *comparitivily* more usable, and less painful , than the usual "pistol grips" that are nearly right angle.

But in Md they must be sold as handguns, and have the same transport restrictions under 4-203 as for handguns.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    Yes. The Moss berg Shockwave is on the roster and legal for sale in MD. They are considered a handgun by the state with all that implies. HQL, 7 day wait, etc.

The Remington Tac14 is slated to be legal at the next update.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    When did we start having get an account and register on the MSP handgun register site in order to see what is on the roster? Haven't been there in a month or two and see it has changed. Used to I get just go and search by manufacturer for the list of their guns. Now it is requiring me to register. That seems hoses.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    OP. All good info here, also check out the thread on these firearms. I'm not planning to buy one but look forward to shooting one soon.

The Raptor grip ( and similar "witness protection" grips) are *comparitivily* more usable, and less painful , than the usual "pistol grips" that are nearly right angle.

But in Md they must be sold as handguns, and have the same transport restrictions under 4-203 as for handguns.

Brilliant. As usual. Here's a great story/history about the 'witness protection' shorty:

http://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/wilson-witness-protection-870/#wilson-witness-protection-870-1

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    When did we start having get an account and register on the MSP handgun register site in order to see what is on the roster? Haven't been there in a month or two and see it has changed. Used to I get just go and search by manufacturer for the list of their guns. Now it is requiring me to register. That seems hoses.

--> https://licensingportal.mdsp.maryland.gov/MSPBridgeClient/#/home <--- at the bottom left corner of this webpage (currently). Just type in a make and search.

https://licensingportal.mdsp.maryland.gov/MSPBridgeClient/#/home

Last edited:

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Ah, the ol' Wrist Breaker 2000. As others have said, shoot one a few times before buying.

A folding stock is a MUUUCH better compromise but then there's that pesky MD law.

A pistol-gripped shotgun with a stock can be shot comfortably without shouldering AND carried with the stock tucked under an armpit. Depends on what problem you are trying to solve, but IMO stockless shotguns have little utility aside from looking bad@ss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom