• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Everyone has different interpretations, that's the problem with carry permit restrictions

If hes off the clock, technically hes not serving

Military are serving 24/7/365 until they are "separated from the service" at the end of their hitch. You may not be on duty but you are still in the service.

ELCAM

Dec 17, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Military are serving 24/7/365 until they are "separated from the service" at the end of their hitch. You may not be on duty but you are still in the service.

I called the division and clarified....

They mean until you retire or separate from being in the military.

It has nothing to do with being engaged in an official military duty assignment off base which is already exempted in COMAR.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Ah that clears everything up! :D

My thoughts exactly. No worries though, Sgt. Knaub will answer his phone at 3 a.m. when local LEO say WTF? What's a few hours being detained when you have nothing better to do?

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    Has any civilian gotten approved using the same threat? I managed to get caught in both breaches.

Sadly, I fit this bill.

However, while folk I was required to list on SF-86 and SF-85P have been contacted by OPM, I have not been.

:mad54:

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    My original permit while on MPDC specified "Off Duty Only while employed by MPDC". If I was on duty, it was understood that I was carrying as per Congressional mandate. Although I worked in DC, I lived in MD, and was subject to 24 hr recall. This was normal while assigned to SOD. The week I retired, MD changed it to Restriction: NONE. This was due to the large number of malefactors that I came across that lived in MD.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    Everyone has different interpretations, that's the problem with carry permit restrictions

He serves until his enlistment is up. 24/7/365. You are never not serving while you are in the military. I did it for 26 years so I have a little insight into it. In or out of uniform your serving and subject to all military rules and requirements.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

Wrong... He is serving until he separates from the military. He carries while on duty as part of his job. So why would he need a CCW for on duty carry?

^^ THIS; wow! That's like, "I got me this gun, now what?"

Wrong... He knows what to do with the gun... His question was about using the CC Permit.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    My justification was Service member citing ISIS/ISIL threats, official notification of my SF 86 information was apart of the OPM hack.

At first it was denied but I appealed for a Informal Command Review. The F/S and my investigator were very professional. Our conversation was great and everyone understood each other. I can't imagine the backlog and everything they are doing to operate the licensing department. So my hats off to the department.
    Congratulations on getting your permit!

It is 100% bullshtein that a service members life is deemed more worthy than a civilian's life.

Not hating on you, hating on the system.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

It is 100% bullshtein that a service members life is deemed more worthy than a civilian's life.

The service member's life is not considered to be more worthy... It is that which the service member represents which receives the status. Once the member separates from service... The PRoM no longer cares.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX

Its also :bs: that he even had to go though an informal review or that there is a restriction(no matter how broad). Should have been a rubber stamp, unrestricted permit approval from MSP, IMO.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I'm just not sure how being in the military, being stateside, being out and about in civilian clothing among the rest of us puts you at more risk than the rest of the population, unless you've got a neon sign on your body that screams "I'm In the Military"
    But congrats for getting the perverbial white elephant from Maryland.

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    ^^ THIS; wow! That's like, "I got me this gun, now what?"

This board is amazing sometimes, more so than not. SO someone gets a permit and is looking for additional information and people attack and make off mark comments pertaining to him here for it. The guy is looking for information in order to remain on the right side of the law because as we all know, the laws in this state are difficult to understand. Give him a break, get off your high horse, and provide information if useful.

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    I'm just not sure how being in the military, being stateside, being out and about in civilian clothing among the rest of us puts you at more risk than the rest of the population, unless you've got a neon sign on your body that screams "I'm In the Military"
    But congrats for getting the perverbial white elephant from Maryland.

Because everything about his life including clearances held, offices worked, as well as physical descriptions of he and his family members has been compromised. if you do not think that places him at a higher risk then I dont know what will. Even the MSP is now agreeing with the statement.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    While in the military, people are "in service" 24/7.

No, they are " in THE service 24/7 ". If a service member leaves their 9-5 MOS at the end of the day to go home OFF POST, they are not "In service" performing their MOS.

Even though a cop is a cop 24/7 and can do his job, he is not "on shift" working when he gets off.

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    No, they are " in THE service 24/7 ". If a service member leaves their 9-5 MOS at the end of the day to go home OFF POST, they are not "In service" performing their MOS.

Even though a cop is a cop 24/7 and can do his job, he is not "on shift" working when he gets off.

Have you ever served in the military?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom