• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pitbull

Jan 23, 2013
    So I currently work as a bouncer in Baltimore City. I've worked there a year, but have been bouncing large nightclubs or 7 or 8 years. In that time, I've pissed off plenty of people and had countless threats made against me. (Mostly just drunken shit heads rambling on). The term good and substantial covers those at a higher risk than the general public right? Doesn't this place me at a greater risk than most? Could this be articulated into a Maryland carry permit for self defense. Boss will not sign off, no threats with enough proof to bother with police report. Any input before I try on my own for a permit? Thanks.

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    If your boss/ club owner wont sign off on it then, no GS. Even if the owner would sign off on it you would have restrictions of only why working at club X. Police reports or witness statements of threats probably would not be enough on its own IMO.

pitbull

Jan 23, 2013
    Looking to carry more so outside the club than inside. Heavy police presence at the club generally is good enough while working, plus the difficulty of keeping 100% concealed in event of physical altercation. I don't want 50 strippers knowing where I keep it. The problem is more running into pissed off ex-customer who wants revenge for being embarrassed in front of his friends an aforementioned strippers. This happens more than most would think. Old coworker had this happen at toys r us in front of his kids.

pitbull

Jan 23, 2013
    First thing you need to understand is Maryland doesn't give a shit about your personal safety.

This is sadly Understood. I was hoping to find a way with words enough to appeal to the crown within their own little world.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    They generally want police reports of actual attacks rather than verbal threats. Read through the many threads on the HPRB meetings and you will get an idea of what might work and what doesn't.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Do you have witnesses to any threats? Anyone that would go on the record?

Unlike the other responses I am not going to dismiss you out of hand.
    Exactly, witnesses can be sufficient without a police report. Signed witness statement, no notary required.
    They generally want police reports of actual attacks rather than verbal threats. Read through the many threads on the HPRB meetings and you will get an idea of what might work and what doesn't.
    Verbal threat accompanied by a witness statement is sufficient.

Unless of course they don't believe you.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Word on the street is apply, then when denied just take a trip to Crownsville..

Jack McCauley

Oct 16, 2014
    I think you have a slim chance. The MD State Police will ask for a letter of support from your employer. Be prepared to challenge this, most likely in front of the Review Board. The letter requirement from an employer was originally designed for armed security guards who were carrying for work purposes only. Licensing Division personnel have mistakenly applied that requirement to everyone else. Do not apply for work purposes but rather for personal protection. You will need to describe each threat, the date of occurrence, location, and name of suspect if known. Be as specific as possible. Do not state that you think they were just drunks. All threats are real. Have as many witnesses as possible prepare written statements. If those threats only occurred while working, your chances are weak. If those threats are not "recent" your chances are weak. If you have been threatened away from the area you were working, that is significant. A police report is preferred but not required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I was hoping to find a way with words enough to appeal to the crown within their own little world.

I'm certified by the MD state police (MDSP) to train Marylanders for their HQL and CCW and it was made clear to me that having practical carry experience in Maryland is not G&S. When I asked if MDSP'd feel comfortable having driving instructors with no practical experience driving on Maryland roads, they likewise said, "Yes".

Remember, when it comes to thinking in Maryland (and other Bolshevik states), just don't do it—it'll just give you a headache.:)

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I'd have another talk with the boss. Emphasize that you are not trying to carry during working hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom