• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Thanks. I've applied to so many places, it gets confusing... ;)

DC also exempts you from the 16 hour training if you have already taken it elsewhere, MD for example. Hard to believe that craphole has this portion of their permitting scheme head and shoulders above what we have here.

And yes, you still have to take the DC law portion even if you are exempt from the 16 hour training.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    here's the sample syllabus. I think this was the old 4 hour course. It's now 16 hours. Ill see what MSP has on their site.

Attachments

• Sample Firearms Safety Course Lesson Plan.pdf
      1.1 MB · Views: 170
    Last edited:

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Is there an approved syllabus that you follow? Reason I ask is that I can easily envision a scenario in a one on one class where you have thoroughly covered all the topics and there is still 3-4 hours left to get to 16. What then? Spend some extra time at the range? ;)

extra time at the range, possibly. aside from the experienced audience on these threads, many folks applying for the permit come into it completely devoid of what is actually necessary to carry. many haven't considered the carry rig and in some cases, the gun itself. simple wardrobe modifications haven't been considered, etc. so, even though 16 hours seems like a long time, it has been my experience, many folks want more training to be the best they can be with the new responsibility. as for some seeking a renewal, the trend thus far is many haven't had any formal training as they got the permit under the old guidelines, meaning they met the G&S for the permit but haven't a clue as to what/how/why for the responsible armed citizen. in fact, if they were to ever shoot an IDPA match, it is likely they would get DQ'd due to unsafe gun handling--due to the lack of training and experience.

and then there is the review of the legal ramifications, moral and ethical considerations and well, for some, the 16 or 8 hours for many, feel it is worth it.

Itsjustdave

Mar 4, 2016
    Hagerstown MD
    Where are you located? There's a place in Frederick Md, called Heritage Training and Shooting Center that offers the course but it's broken into individual segments so you can do it at your own leisure.......I know their syllabus is something like:......at least give them a call if you're looking for info 2403414006

Phase 1
    1-md hql
    2-intro to low light shooting
    3-Utah Conceal
    4-basic shotgun OR rifle course

Phase 2
    1-ccw concepts
    2-Sim lab???

Phase 3
    Range time

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It will be 16 hrs elapsed time minimum, so as far as total time.

Hypothetically you if one on one, after completing the required sylybus and qualification, the Instructor could do one on one advanced skills coaching for the remaining time.

But without multiple students paying, it will be $$$,.

And yes, having to put the $ into the training only to have a likely denial is deliberate. It is to discourage speculative applicants outside of traditional employment related , traditional privledeged classes, or otherwise know in advance likely to be approved. Keeps the approval percentages up, doesn't clog up the system with normal citizens.

Yeah, it would be nice to flood them with enough normal citizens to be able to move them away from the " 95% approval, no problems here" mode. But we've already been there, done that post Wollard , when it was comparatively easy and less expensive. Topped out at 365, and MSP was able to hide the statistics on the percentages.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Where are you located? There's a place in Frederick Md, called Heritage Training and Shooting Center that offers the course but it's broken into individual segments so you can do it at your own leisure.......I know their syllabus is something like:......at least give them a call if you're looking for info 2403414006

Phase 1
    1-md hql
    3-Utah Conceal

Phase 2
    1-ccw concepts
    2-Sim lab???

Phase 3
    Range time

Huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville
    Woah woah. I didn't mean that I wanted to pay someone to just sign off on a piece of paper. I know they have to teach the full class and I fully intend on doing it. I just figured that it would go faster with one student than twenty. Wasn't sure if there were mandated courses of fire, exams, and topics that must be covered versus an actual "you must be here for 16 hours no matter what." If it was the former, I figured it would go faster if it was just me.

The law is the law. I don't like it, but I fully intend on abiding by it :)

Please accept my deepest apologies if I have offended anyone with my words. I never meant to suggest that you were trying to skirt the law; I just assumed that you were unaware of the no-chance-in-hell-will-it-be-shorter-than 16 hour minimum.

I made an assumption and we all know what happens when you ASS-U-ME.
    Sorry.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Please accept my deepest apologies if I have offended anyone with my words. I never meant to suggest that you were trying to skirt the law; I just assumed that you were unaware of the no-chance-in-hell-will-it-be-shorter-than 16 hour minimum.

I made an assumption and we all know what happens when you ASS-U-ME.
    Sorry.

No worries at all. I could have worded it better. :-)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

Phase 1
    1-md hql
    3-Utah Conceal

Phase 2
    1-ccw concepts
    2-Sim lab???

Phase 3
    Range time

None of this has to do with the Md Wear and Carry permit 16 hour course which is required to apply for a carry permit.

Fstbk272

Jun 1, 2010
    MD
    Is there a military member exemption for the rule? or do mil members need this course also?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• wear.JPG
      wear.JPG
      74.7 KB · Views: 319
    Last edited:

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    to the OP, i was told over and over i couldn't get a permit in MD. that encouraged me to go to the police website, back then not much was explained as it is today, go line by line and make sure i could answer all the questions yes, provide the documentation as required and submit the photos with the check. i duplicated everything as a back up. almost to the 90 day mark, it came, i was elated and from there, i embarked on getting as much training as i possibly could, to be as professional as i could, be while being armed. i have been an understudy of many good instructors here, with a big thank you to those who have trained me and are reading this thread. i have furthered my advancement of this training by participating in local IDPA matches and have had the opportunity to train on some former students private property, shooting in a variety of ways deemed unsafe at public gun ranges, simply because they are "public". shooting from a moving car while being the passenger in some scenarios and shooting while driving the car in other scenarios. never, ever stop training. in the meanwhile, you will have to secure the proper gear for your intended carry method, have ample dry fire practice, and then once you get the mechanics down, you better damn well get legally protected in the event you have to use this tool of last resort. i suggest you purchase the book, The Law of Self Defense by Andrew Branca, and if you ever get the chance to attend his seminar, make it a priority. stay on top of training and yes you will have to read, re-read stuff. my suggestion only. others may have the cavalier attitude that counters my opinion, but thats them. as stoveman said, "GO FOR IT", but i say only if you are prepared to be the best you can be. :beer:

Itsjustdave

Mar 4, 2016
    Hagerstown MD
    This is how Heritage gets you the 16 hrs needed for the course....I was giving you their syllabus to the best of my knowledge. Each one of the classes I said is a fraction of the 16 hrs you need......

None of this has to do with the Md Wear and Carry permit 16 hour course which is required to apply for a carry permit.

md_06unltd

Oct 26, 2016
    Sugarloaf
    I am looking at taking the course through Heritage.

I like the schedule options, but it could take up to a month to complete if you take one class a weekend. I can't find a schedule for their "Phase Two" or "Phase Three" classes.

Total cost is about $860.00 plus photos and fingerprints. I am not sure if you can use your own handgun or not, looks like they supply the Glock 17. And I don't know how much ammo is included in the price, and if the minimum class size is not met, they reserve the right to reschedule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom