Cecil county About to get screwed with new gun laws?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marquis708

Feb 6, 2013
    MD.
    WOW! Something to really think about! Good point.

"God Bless America as she surely needs it right now".

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    WTF is your problem with this? Fuc^tards shooting in the air killed a little girl. This does nothing to ban defending yourself or hunting or even shooting off your own porch if you can do it safely. It seeks to ban endangering your neighbors or random strangers miles away. Gee if you have a neighbor 50yds behind your house you can't throw out a few sandbags and shoot your 30-06. You can't tresspass and shoot on somebody elses property. Your projectiles have to stay on your property. It even allows your bullets to leave your property if you can guarantee they won't hurt anyone. You can't just wander onto public property and spray bullets willy nilly. You have to clear it with authorities to verify nobody else is using the area. If you have neighbors within 150yds you need their consent because they are within the range of ricochets and potentially damgerous sound levels.
    These are the same rules in place where I live and if you have seen the videos from my house we get downright extreme while maintaining safe lanes of fire and not endangering half the county.

We already have a trespassing statute.

You are already held accountable if your bullets leave your property and hurt somebody. There is battery, reckless endangerment, manslaughter, and probably some other charges I am missing.

As I already mentioned, there are plenty of public hunting areas where prior written permission is not needed. Willing to bet that there is already an ordinance preventing the discharge of firearms in parks and government buildings, but I could be wrong.

CLP

Dec 18, 2012
    Maybe not, but with a law they can throw the idiot's a*s in jail.

Did they catch who was responsible for that girl? I never heard if they did, my concern is if the law would only do more harm than good.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I fail to see how this is getting "screwed". Most if not all of these are just common sense gun safety. Are Cecil Co. residents afraid their AK celebrations are going to be inhibited by not knowing where their bullets are striking? Do they hunt without knowing what is downrange of their target? Do they shoot on public property without permission? Some of these laws regarding school zones are already federal law. It seems if gun owners can't act responsibly it just drives elected officials to try their best to curb stupid behavior. And as Forrest said, "stupid is as stupid does."

There is another thread on this which you probably already read, so I won't elaborate here on my post, but ...

The proposed legislation was in response to the 'celebratory gunfire' that caused the death of a 10-year-old girl there on New Year's Eve. However, it didn't mention 'celebratory gunfire' ANYWHERE in the draft, nor do any of the proposed illegalities make 'celebratory gunfire' any less safe.

It's a law ripe for abuse.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Alright, since this is a law to benefit and save children throughout the land, would it cover a celebratory gun blast within one's own house. Does it make somebody an outlaw for doing that? Because that would also be an area of concern. Somebody just firing off a shot in celebration of an event, within their own home, and killing or wounding a family member. Believe a Baltimore resident did that on the 4th of July.

I just read about the Cecil county issue and the problem is finding the person that fired the round. However, I still think that anybody firing a shot into the air can be prosecuted for reckless endangerment, so that should be covered. If you get video tape of your neighbor firing rounds off into the air on New Year's Eve, Independence Day, or whenever else, why is it so hard to charge them with reckless endangerment?

I read the articles about this in Baltimore and they confiscated 100+ guns this past New Year's Eve because of celebratory gun fire. Are people insane? They should get 30 days or more in prison. Of course there are exceptions. If gainfully employed, you get to go to work and pay 30% of your earnings to the state while spending the rest of the time after work in jail.

It just really is hard for me to imagine that people are really this dumb and think that firing a gun in the city into the air or even into the ground isn't a bad thing.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Just trolling for votes by grabbing the lowest hanging fruit . . .

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Scout ranges are pretty carefully managed so there should be no issue with their range.

I earned my rifle merit badge there. :) the rifle barrels are suspended by string hung from a board going across the firing line, and you can only shoot prone. But then again, that was probably 12-13 years ago!

I figured they would be exempt, as their range is what I think of a safe range. Besides, it's on private property and far from any dwellings.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    The proposed legislation was in response to the 'celebratory gunfire' that caused the death of a 10-year-old girl there on New Year's Eve. However, it didn't mention 'celebratory gunfire' ANYWHERE in the draft, nor do any of the proposed illegalities make 'celebratory gunfire' any less safe.

It's a law ripe for abuse.

That's the entire point. Did you note the written permission stuff? That means if you want to come on a friend's property and shoot targets with them - were it otherwise legal/safe etc, you need their written permission IN YOUR POSSESSION.

Even if they're standing next to you and give oral permission to you *in court* it's still against the law.

This is not just a law ripe for an abuse...it's written to be abused.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    I earned my rifle merit badge there. :) the rifle barrels are suspended by string hung from a board going across the firing line, and you can only shoot prone. But then again, that was probably 12-13 years ago!

I figured they would be exempt, as their range is what I think of a safe range. Besides, it's on private property and far from any dwellings.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

The camps director house is less than 150 yds behind the range , the archery range is right in line so wonder if that will have to be moved

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    The camps director house is less than 150 yds behind the range , the archery range is right in line so wonder if that will have to be moved

I remember the archery range being across the road and down the hill from the rifle range. Didnt know the director's house was that close... it's been a while.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I have lived in Cecil County since 1993 with my neighbors hunting (in season), target shooting and vermin popping daily. We are aware of our property lines and what's beyond, we have never had a bullet hit anything other then what was aimed at. As for celebratory gunfire, we don't do that as we have plenty of other things that go bang (very close to PA line). I think once again it's them city folks causing all the trouble mostly Elkton, out here in the farm areas no problems. Plus most of the little towns in the county already have limited or no shooting anyway so why do we need another law. Plus you can't legislate common sense. This law will not stop the stupid from doing stupid stuff now would it. Education will do more then a new law. If anything the council should start an education program of booklets and public service messages. Chris

Side note: I'm in Baltimore City a few days a week and I'm in more danger of being hit by a stray bullet there then at my property. There is more untrained gunfire there then in Cecil County.

Long Live the Freedoms of Ceciltucky

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    If they don't want people making a joyful noise with a gun, even if they are shooting blanks (what about military funerals), then they should legalize firecrackers. Very few shots were wasted when firecrackers were legally available.

The time and effort would be better spent and it would save more kids if they taught The Eddie Eagle GunSafe® Program in every elementary school in the county.
    http://eddieeagle.nra.org/

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    I'm suprised that firecrackers haven't been banned nation wide following Boston. Afte all that's what was in those pressure cookers those boys had!

Where is the outrage about fireworks!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    If they don't want people making a joyful noise with a gun, even if they are shooting blanks (what about military funerals), then they should legalize firecrackers. Very few shots were wasted when firecrackers were legally available.

The time and effort would be better spent and it would save more kids if they taught The Eddie Eagle GunSafe® Program in every elementary school in the county.
    http://eddieeagle.nra.org/

Yeah, I really do not understand the entire ban of fireworks. I can see the ridiculously large ones being illegal, but they should still allow the majority of them.

It is crazy that just because a couple people are morons, we all need to be protected from ourselves and others. Thing is, the morons are too stupid to know the law and/or too stubborn to follow it.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    I have lived in Cecil County since 1993 with my neighbors hunting (in season), target shooting and vermin popping daily. We are aware of our property lines and what's beyond, we have never had a bullet hit anything other then what was aimed at. As for celebratory gunfire, we don't do that as we have plenty of other things that go bang (very close to PA line). I think once again it's them city folks causing all the trouble mostly Elkton, out here in the farm areas no problems. Plus most of the little towns in the county already have limited or no shooting anyway so why do we need another law. Plus you can't legislate common sense. This law will not stop the stupid from doing stupid stuff now would it. Education will do more then a new law. If anything the council should start an education program of booklets and public service messages. Chris

Side note: I'm in Baltimore City a few days a week and I'm in more danger of being hit by a stray bullet there then at my property. There is more untrained gunfire there then in Cecil County.

Long Live the Freedoms of Ceciltucky

This happened in Elk Neck, not Elkton. And, if this moron was alone, I'll eat my hat. Someone else knows and isn't sacking up. That the trouble with the laws on the books or any new redundant laws.
    Around here, they'd have to be turned in................

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    This happened in Elk Neck, not Elkton. And, if this moron was alone, I'll eat my hat. Someone else knows and isn't sacking up. That the trouble with the laws on the books or any new redundant laws.
    Around here, they'd have to be turned in................

Sorry didn't mean to cast a undo light on Elkton but you do have to admit that most of the careless/criminal gun play in the county is in the Elkton area. We over in the other half of the county just have our domestic discharges. Again I say no law will change any of those types of behavior. Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom