7-day wait, while firearms is at a gun range - can I shoot it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Purely hypothetical, or course. Let's say for arguments sake, I am having regulated firearm(s) transferred. I submitted the 77e, paid my $10, and I am just waiting to not be disapproved (on the 7th or 8th day, of course).

The gun is at an FFL that also happens to be at a gun range. Can I "borrow" or "rent" my own gun to shoot it (so long as I do not leave premises, naturally) before the ND comes back? If it makes you feel better, I picked up a regulated firearm less than 30 days ago.

What does MDS say about this scenario?

cowboys5time25

Dec 20, 2012
    Frederick
    I know for a fact that the machine gun nest in Frederick won't let you. But they can rent you a handgun or full auto.. Think it's a policy thing

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I know for a fact that you CAN do this at freestate. You can use your suppressor on the range as well while it's in NFA jail.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I don't believe there is a law against this, but I completely understand why FFLs might not want to do this. If you sneak out without returning the item, they are in deep poop.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    They can do this, many choose to not do so. If you somehow can't complete the transaction, expect a major hit on the restocking .

In 2013 when this was a 100plus day wait, shooting it at the FFL premesis was a real thing. Nowdays , when it is 7days (give or take LD new wave math), just use a little patience.

gooder

Aug 26, 2011
    Continental Arms lets you shoot your gun while you're waiting to for the "not disapproved". I was told that since I paid for it already the gun is mine. Just can't take it home, during the wait period. I suppose they work off the assumption that people will be "not disapproved".

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I know for a fact that you CAN do this at freestate.

Yep...done it a thousand times...LOL...well, maybe not a "thousand times"...:innocent0

Freestate gives you a little basket thing to carry the gun and mags in, and hang onto the box and whatever else the gun came with...

Since I am a member there, I always had them do the first cleaning (freebie), on pickup day.

I actually asked about the "What IF I got denied???"
    Randy said that it'd then be his loss, as they'd then have to sell it as a used gun.
    I thought that it was pretty awesome...

It was the main reason I bought quite a few firearms from there... :thumbsup:

BaltimoreLou

Just Learning and enjoyin
    May 1, 2011
    White Marsh
    Definitely co-sign the freestate thing.... Got a Glock waiting for me and they let me shoot it since I'm a member. Got to love a range that makes it easy to do business with.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    1. Did you purchase it out of their stock or special order it?
    2. Did you pay for it in full or only make a deposit?

If you fire it and then are denied for some reason, the LGS SHOULD sell it as a used gun. IMHO if you paid for it its yours and you need to dispose of it legally if you are unable to take possession. If you only made a deposit, its the LGS's property once they refund your deposit. IMHO in both instances its easier to wait until you take delivery to shoot it. I know, I know. waiting is hard. Get a rental or shoot something else from your collection. Perhaps you can cut out a full size picture of your newest and tape it to your bathroom mirror :)

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    I know for a fact that you CAN do this at freestate. You can use your suppressor on the range as well while it's in NFA jail.

Never even thought of that. That's a fantastic idea. Makes the wait suck a little bit less. Not sure I can handle another 9 months of owning a $1000+ piece of titanium that I can't touch or use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom