• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    So, Ms. 308Scout discovered this in our bedroom upon waking up this morning. I saw her jump back and let out a healthy "WTF" before I jolted out of bed. Fortunately, I was able to trap it and neither of us or our dog were bitten. A local wildlife service/trapper is coming out to collect it and do a thorough inspection for possible entry points to the house later today. Unfortunately, our locale is fairly thick with copperheads. Today I was reminded that adrenaline is a far more effective wake-up call than caffeine.

Attachments

• Copperhead 7.21.20.jpg
      Copperhead 7.21.20.jpg
      76.7 KB · Views: 905
    So, Ms. 308Scout discovered this in our bedroom upon waking up this morning. I saw her jump back and let out a healthy "WTF" before I jolted out of bed. Fortunately, I was able to trap it and neither of us or our dog were bitten. A local wildlife service/trapper is coming out to collect it and do a thorough inspection for possible entry points to the house later today. Unfortunately, our locale is fairly thick with copperheads. Today I was reminded that adrenaline is a far more effective wake-up call than caffeine.

Not just a Copperhead, a coiled and ready to strike Copperhead.

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    Wow your family is incredibly lucky your wife is so with it first thing in the morning. If it were me, I would have stepped on it on my way for a cup of coffee.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Wow your family is incredibly lucky your wife is so with it first thing in the morning. If it were me, I would have stepped on it on my way for a cup of coffee.

It's location against the wall helped give some warning. As soon as she stepped out of bed (it was about 5 feet away), it started vibrating its tail, which fortunately was hitting off of the baseboard and was audible.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    As for entry points, are you on a foundational basement, slab, or crawlspace? If it's a basement or crawlspace, I'd look at the band-joists to see if there is anyway it could have gotten in. I was getting carpenter ants in my kitchen non-stop when I finally figured out that they were coming through an abandoned hole in the band joist that had been drilled to run power to an old mercury-vapor lamp that was in the back yard. Filled it with expanding foam and haven't had an issue since. Alternatively, a crack in duct work in a crawlspace can let these bastards in.

Taco

Jan 23, 2018
    Montgomery County

Let us know if you figure out where it came in from. I’m definitely going to be doing a check around my home tonight for potential pest entry points haha.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Now you get to search for where all the rest are. If there's one....there's more.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I have no talent with snake-wrangling. There's be lots of drywall to patch after dealing with that.

Glad you're both okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom