• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Hey all,

Looking for a pistol safe/box reccomendation.
    This will be hidden somewhere in a place of business somewhere that is generally inaccessible to employees. An office within a building, perhaps. No one will know its there but on the off chance someone finds it, it needs to be tough to get into.

1. It will hold one full size handgun, one spare mag, and bonus points if it can fit a holster, but not required.
    2. No simplex lock (don't want someone sitting there going through every possible combo to get it open).
    3. Quick access is not a concern. It will generally be holstered when I get there and unholstered and locked away when I leave.
    4. Needs to be hard to break into. I have a ft Knox pistol box in my bedroom and something that tough at least, would be desirable. It will likely be bolted to something, maybe a concrete floor.

Other notes--I have not totally ruled out a wall safe, relying more on obfuscation than thick steel to protect the gun, but its probably pretty easy to cut a wall safe out and take it with you, if it is ever discovered. And finally I am not 100% sold on biometrics yet. If it was a safe in my house, sure. But there is always a possibility of someone else discovering this safe and I don't trust that technology yet, unless its come a long way in the last few years.

The people with access to this office, I would trust with the knowledge that a handgun was in there. But the rest of the employees, I wouldn't, so I want to make sure it's tough.

Thanks everyone

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    How long would the locked box be without being inspected? Couple days or weeks+?

Do you control (legally) the space? Can you come and go freely there? Do you own or lease this space?

Do you have another secure space in that same building? If so, may want to disassemble and put part of pistols in the other location (equally secure and hidden).

You want something more secure than a FortKnox box, but not an actual safe? How about a small floor safe?

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    How long would the locked box be without being inspected? Couple days or weeks+?

Do you control (legally) the space? Can you come and go freely there? Do you own or lease this space?

Do you have another secure space in that same building? If so, may want to disassemble and put part of pistols in the other location (equally secure and hidden).

You want something more secure than a FortKnox box, but not an actual safe? How about a small floor safe?

I own the company with a long term lease for the property. I don't see legal concerns coming into play.
    I'm just tired of having to drive home, get the gun, go back, and carry. This will be less of an issue when (or if) I get my CCW.

Floor safe might be a good idea, I have never really looked into those...
    FAS1 safes are great. Mechanical lock (no batteries to worry about).

Put in 2aguysandgear15 at check out and you'll save $15

Thanks but no simplex locks for this application.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I own the company with a long term lease for the property. I don't see legal concerns coming into play.
    I'm just tired of having to drive home, get the gun, go back, and carry. This will be less of an issue when (or if) I get my CCW.

Floor safe might be a good idea, I have never really looked into those...

Thanks but no simplex locks for this application.

It also has a key to disable the push buttons.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    So in my desk I keep a gunvault nano vault. I don't really have to worry about theft here but often times I will lock up my duty weapon and carry my off duty home. It will not fit a 17 and a holster but it's perfect for a 17 and additional mag. Should fit the 19 and holster/mag just fine.

It comes with a cable to lock it to something but again I have a special locking desk. My desk and mini safe could probably be defeated in 3 minutes but it makes me feel better should anyone steal it I can say I even went the extra step for protection. They are small enough to hide pretty easily and come in multiple different locking mechanisms. I think mine was on sale for 20 bucks and I know Grupon currently has them on sale.

It's probably not the heavy built tough safe your looking for but I am throwing it out there because sometimes concealment is better then a super tough lock.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I really like my liberty handgun safe...

http://www.libertysafe.com/handgun-vaults.php

I have the small fingerprint version and it's perfect for a shallow drawer and can be screwed down if desired. Fits a handgun and extra mag with no problem. The ability to use a power adapter to save the battery is really nice too.

[Edit] Note that they are available on amazon for cheaper than the Liberty website.

edisthera

Feb 19, 2015
    Those FAS1 safes seem like a good alternative to the ft Knox. I heard the pistol safe they made is still being sold but is now discontinued so it's all old stock?

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Those FAS1 safes seem like a good alternative to the ft Knox. I heard the pistol safe they made is still being sold but is now discontinued so it's all old stock?

Not that i know of. Your best bet is to contact them directly. The owner of the company will most likley be the one that responds :thumbsup:

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Thanks a lot for the advice, everyone.

So in my desk I keep a gunvault nano vault. I don't really have to worry about theft here but often times I will lock up my duty weapon and carry my off duty home. It will not fit a 17 and a holster but it's perfect for a 17 and additional mag. Should fit the 19 and holster/mag just fine.

It comes with a cable to lock it to something but again I have a special locking desk. My desk and mini safe could probably be defeated in 3 minutes but it makes me feel better should anyone steal it I can say I even went the extra step for protection. They are small enough to hide pretty easily and come in multiple different locking mechanisms. I think mine was on sale for 20 bucks and I know Grupon currently has them on sale.

It's probably not the heavy built tough safe your looking for but I am throwing it out there because sometimes concealment is better then a super tough lock.

Thanks mpdc4511, I really like this idea. A safe within a locked container. For situations where quick access isn't a concern, it makes sense.

I ended up going with the liberty box and I'll lock it up somewhere safe.

At some point, I have to call it good. It will be in a pistol box, in a locked drawer or other container, in a (generally) locked room, if someone still manages to find out its there AND get their hands on it, well...that's unfortunate but I've done all I could feasibly do.

This liberty box intrigues me. I don't own any biometric safes because I've been concerned that the technology isn't reliable enough yet, but by all accounts this one is squared away. And I don't like electronic locks due to the possibility of battery/power failure, but, this isn't a bedside/quick access gun so I'll be okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom