• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Picked up this Winchester 220 Swift brass, 4 like new boxes, 80 pieces.

Sure wish they still packaged them this way, very convenient.

Attachments

• IMG_6689.jpg
      IMG_6689.jpg
      66.4 KB · Views: 683
    • IMG_6690.jpg
      IMG_6690.jpg
      64.1 KB · Views: 676
    • IMG_6691.jpg
      IMG_6691.jpg
      64.1 KB · Views: 669

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    They must of been sitting in the dark all those years. I'm having one of my old worn pre 64 Model 70 220 Swifts rebuilt into a custom 220 Swift so am constantly on the lookout for more brass, was happy to get these.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    They must of been sitting in the dark all those years. I'm having one of my old worn pre 64 Model 70 220 Swifts rebuilt into a custom 220 Swift so am constantly on the lookout for more brass, was happy to get these.

Other than the usual handful of suspects, with cartridges other than.30-'06, .223, .308 and sometimes .243 and .30/30?

Finding cartridge cases other than these has been largely like finding hen's teeth for a number of years now, when it comes to the big 3 of Remington and Federal and Winchester.

Hoping that reality gets better. In the meantime, somebody took more aches and pains than setting that on a shelf for 40 years. Makes a neat and unusual find that much better!:thumbsup:

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Sweet, love those ole boxes, the Swift on top of that, got a Ruger M77 Heavy Barrel in the Swift, Leupold 36X, mine loves the Sierra 52gr HPBT behind some IMR-4064, great round enjoy it... and an ole pre-64 action..nice

-Rock

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Other than the usual handful of suspects, with cartridges other than.30-'06, .223, .308 and sometimes .243 and .30/30?

Finding cartridge cases other than these has been largely like finding hen's teeth for a number of years now, when it comes to the big 3 of Remington and Federal and Winchester.

Hoping that reality gets better. In the meantime, somebody took more aches and pains than setting that on a shelf for 40 years. Makes a neat and unusual find that much better!:thumbsup:

Try finding the old cowboy bottle-neck cartridge brass made by either Remington or Winchester :sad20: They do a run at the beginning of the year, and sell out quickly. The only company making 32-20, 38-40, and 44-40 brass year round is Starline.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Try finding the old cowboy bottle-neck cartridge brass made by either Remington or Winchester :sad20: They do a run at the beginning of the year, and sell out quickly. The only company making 32-20, 38-40, and 44-40 brass year round is Starline.

Starline as you're probably aware has recently ventured into offering some bottlenecks, starting with the .308 Win and supposedly expanding that family of cartridges initially. Good news going forward for the fans of 243 Win, .260 Rem., 7mm-08 Rem, .338 Fed, .358 Win etc. Hopefully they keep expanding their rifle offering with what I assume is new tooling, as their overall offering is extensive, and they seem to take pride in that. I like their product and there's undoubtedly a market. Here's a man who wants some .220 Swift. I've played hell to snag even the more common .22-250 Rem. I've not once seen a stamped factory new case available for sale from Federal, or from parent Remington for that matter, in .260 Remington in the 4 years I've had the rifle. There's a whole lot more Swift rifles out there still than there likely will ever be in .260.

Not sure why the whole brass availability issue with the big names. I'd have thought that would have settled back down by now.:shrug:

noylj

Jun 3, 2012
    Gee, back in the '70s, everyone I knew bought factory ammo to get cases and scrounged at gun shows for the rare cases. Don't think I ever saw a box like that of cases.
    I often suspect that the East coast gets things that never make it out to the west coast.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I found this 1977 30 round box of Portuguese 5.56 purchased from On Target for an unbelievable price of $5.50. Purchased during the Dirty Harry era is a 50 round box of unprimed Norma 44 Mag for $5.25.

Attachments

• P1010014.jpg
      P1010014.jpg
      70.7 KB · Views: 378
    • P1010015.JPG
      P1010015.JPG
      102.7 KB · Views: 386

nosdog2

Jan 9, 2013
    Nice to see some 220 Swift shooters out there. Just a couple weeks ago I was at a local gun shop to my cabin in NY picking up a new rifle and they have a section of sorta consignment stuff. Low and behold TWO bags of 100 brand new 220 Swift Winchester brass for $36! I thought I won the lotto!

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Looks exactly like the stuff I got rid of several years ago.

It might be, got it locally.

Thanks everyone, I think the boxes do have a little collector value, hard to find in this condition, most have load writing or stickers plastered on them.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Looking at prices on my dad's old ammo and reloading supplies makes me depressed.

Just look up one of those sites with prices for everything in that same time frame.

Cheap reloading supplies, but also cheap food, gas, cars. And to go along, MUCH lower pay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom