• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Was loading up some .38 Specials last night and happened to see a pin wedged in the case. Checked the other 49 and found 5 more with one pin in the bottom. Now what am I gonna do about the 50 that were already loaded. :mad54: I thought about trying a strong magnet and found 4 more. I hate messing with these super magnets because they are down right dangerous. The few that I have are stored individually in bubble wrap about the size of a soft ball to keep them from misbehaving.

Then I started to think about how many I have blown through my gun. Long story short they only stick in the Winchester brass because there is something different about the web. I have been working up loads and keep my brass separated for the best consistency and this is the first time loading Winchester. None of the Federal or R-P had any stuck pins which is what I've been shooting.

PC130007.jpg

PC130011.jpg

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Do you know what size stainless media you are using. I would think that if this were a problem with 38 that there might also be issues with 9mm because of the similar size.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Do you know what size stainless media you are using. I would think that if this were a problem with 38 that there might also be issues with 9mm because of the similar size.

I can measure the length if you like? Whatever size came with the Frankford tumbler. I have cleaned a ton of 9mm but I haven't looked closely at the bulk of it. I'm working on loads for 9mm and have maybe loaded 100 or so. Measure charge, verify empty case, fill, haven't seen any pins yet.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    After all this time, what made you look into the casing and find THAT?

Well, the problem didn't appear until last night when I used Winchester brass for the first time. Also first time going into production mode for the 38's on the progressive. I use the blue Frankford shell holders and for no particular reason I happened to look straight down on it and spotted a pin after I finished loading the first tray. Just lucky I guess.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    When I was getting stainless steel media for my tumbler, the issue I was aware of then was that some sizes of SS pins would get stuck in the primer hole of .45acp. I'll admit I was surprised to see StickShaker's photo with the SS in the base of the .38 case. Is the SS pin stuck (needs to be popped out), or is there just a tendency for the SS pin to not as easily fall out of the winchester brass?

jimboman2000

Jan 9, 2014
    Cecil!
    This happened to me a few years ago and I broke a pin when I was depriming. Bought some brass from an online vendor and didn't pay attention to the "watch for stuck pins" warning label on the bag.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    He's making flechette rounds.

What do you all think the effect of a SS pin in a cartridge would be? It is not on top of the powder, so I do not think it would be ejected as effectively as a shotgun throws shot. Actually, given its position of being wedged at the bottom of the brass case, most of the push on it might be coming from the primer. Could the SS pin leave a mark in the barrel?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    What do you all think the effect of a SS pin in a cartridge would be? It is not on top of the powder, so I do not think it would be ejected as effectively as a shotgun throws shot. Actually, given its position of being wedged at the bottom of the brass case, most of the push on it might be coming from the primer. Could the SS pin leave a mark in the barrel?

I'm pretty sure he was joking.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

At the very least, I would think it would boost chamber pressure. Dangerously so? I wouldn't know.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I'm pretty sure he was joking.

Oh, I am quite aware that he was joking, but nevertheless the SS pin is unlikely to remain in the case, and therefore is going out the barrel. Since the SS pin is not located atop the powder in a shot cup as with a shotshell, I doubt it will be getting shotgun pellet velocity. Given the irregular shape, I doubt the flight path will be all that well aligned with the barrel either. So, I was idly wondering what speed and blunderbuss-like cone of possible trajectories the SS pin might have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom