• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Picked up a bunch of 53 WCC .45 ACP brass and I'm curious if anyone knows the firearm? A good number of them have a flat spot on the mouth and an indentation on the side. Both features are always clocked the same too. In the pic the flat is at 6:00 and the mark on the side is around 8:00. I don't know if it was fired by the military or sold as surplus.

This is the oldest brass I have ever worked with and I noticed that it takes more effort to resize, like the brass is much harder. Any good/bad thoughts on this?

Edit: Duh...forget the resize comment. I just measured the case wall and it's .002 thicker then newer brass.

PB210009.jpg

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Going with 1911.

The flat is from making contact with the ground.

Dimple replaced the crimp? My 1918 Remington-UMC rounds have three dimples.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Going with 1911.

The flat is from making contact with the ground.

Dimple replaced the crimp? My 1918 Remington-UMC rounds have three dimples.

The flats seem too consistent and there is always a dimple to go along with the flat. The cases with no flat don't have a dimple either so I think the particular gun is causing both.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    OK. That's weird.

I got to thinking about your dimple/crimp comment and looked at more cases. The dimple ranges from deep, like in the pic, to almost not visible. Most are a little above or below the serrated crimp but some like in the pic is right on it. The clocking is always the same with the flat spot so I don't see how it could be from hitting the ground.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Looking at the pic I'm seeing another mark on the bottom of the case at around 9:30. Extractor? I checked the location and it's always around 180 degrees in relation to the dimple. It seems like there may be a pin in the receiver wall that pokes out when the bolt is all of the way back to help eject the cartridge. Machine gun?

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I got to thinking about your dimple/crimp comment and looked at more cases. The dimple ranges from deep, like in the pic, to almost not visible. Most are a little above or below the serrated crimp but some like in the pic is right on it. The clocking is always the same with the flat spot so I don't see how it could be from hitting the ground.

Looking at the pic I'm seeing another mark on the bottom of the case at around 9:30. Extractor? I checked the location and it's always around 180 degrees in relation to the dimple. It seems like there may be a pin in the receiver wall that pokes out when the bolt is all of the way back to help eject the cartridge. Machine gun?

That dimple may be a form of crimping. The APC head spaces on the case mouth.

The extractor mark, dimple, and mouth flat are always in the same relationship to each other though. That makes me think that the firearm is making them.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    That's USGI ammo. The dimple is from the manufacture. See the red sealant on the primer? That equals fresh, not reloads, 1953 Winchester .45ACP.

Somebody got into Dad's stash!

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    That's USGI ammo. The dimple is from the manufacture. See the red sealant on the primer? That equals fresh, not reloads, 1953 Winchester .45ACP.

Somebody got into Dad's stash!

Yeah, I kinda figured that with the crimped primers and all. I have a lifetime supply of it too, all with the same headstamp and date, I don't know how to act. Don't tell the Hooligans that I found it at their range. :)

I would like to agree with you but there are a few things that don't add up. Do you see the extractor mark at around 9:30? The dimple is always 180 degrees in relation to the extractor mark. That would mean thousands and thousands of rounds would have to be loaded into the gun with the dimple purposely placed in the same relationship to the extractor.

The dimple also has various depth to it. From the deepest as shown in the pic to so light that it's barely visible. They are all close to the serrated crimp ring however. Either right on it or a little above and below the ring.

Is there such a thing as belt fed .45? I suppose the manufacture could have staked the ammo after it was in the belt and that would solve the orientation mystery. :shrug:

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    Older 1911s were known to dimple the side of the case. After the ejection port was lowered and flared, for reliability, this stopped happening.

Attachments

• xW7647_SI_3989.jpg
      xW7647_SI_3989.jpg
      32.8 KB · Views: 195
    Last edited:

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Older 1911s were know to dimple the side of the case. After the ejection port was lowered and flared, for reliability, this stopped happening.

Thanks for posting that. Most in this thread also think 1911 but I'm wondering why a perfect round dimple vs. random shaped marks which I have seen on some other brass that I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom