• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    And the auto drum thread pattern screwing into the rifle charging die.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      30 KB · Views: 78

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    On the left is what would be the threads from the auto drum, the right is a rifle charging die that would screw into the press the way it is. Definitely a big difference in the diameter.

Bummer, thanks so much for your patience. I'll have to think this over when it arrives.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Bummer, thanks so much for your patience. I'll have to think this over when it arrives.

I'm not sure if you could get a different insert for the charging die so the shorter pistol cases would activate the powder measure. Here's a picture of the dies guts

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      25.4 KB · Views: 74

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I see the dies you were talking about eariler, definitely for rifles.
    http://leeprecision.com/charging-die-kit.html

Maybe try taking the insert from the long die and run it in the short die, might work for pistols then. At least you could get a measurement on it.

Yeah, that's it. I found it too and was going to post the link but something is screwy with the net or the site and it keeps locking up. I'm sure I can make something work but I was hoping to go with it out of the box. It seems like they are being greedy and making you use their dies as well.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Yeah, that's it. I found it too and was going to post the link but something is screwy with the net or the site and it keeps locking up. I'm sure I can make something work but I was hoping to go with it out of the box. It seems like they are being greedy and making you use their dies as well.

Take a measurement up inside the short one, then put the insert from the long one into the short die body and see what the difference is, it might just work for shorter pistol cases.
    You could also cut One of the dies down to make it work. I'd try it, but that's just me.:D

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Yeah, that's why I stick with CFE-223 ball powder in my .223's. I get a little better accuracy (at a little lower velocity) with Varget, but I really like the accuracy of measured charges with the CFE-223 (and the copper fouling erasing isn't bad either).

Win748 works well for 223/5.56 also, measures well. I use Varget since others have indicated it is not as temperature (different seasons) sensitive.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I couldn't be any happier with the Lee Auto-Drum. :thumbsup:

Target of 2.80 and almost every drop was within 2.76 and 2.84. Worst case, just every once in a while, 2.72 and 2.88 :)

P8040005.jpg

Lee short rifle charging adapter so you don't need to use Lee dies.

P8040009.jpg

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I just may put the Hornady measure in storage. I'm finding the Lee is soooooo much easier to fill and empty because of the on/off valve and removable hopper. Top of the Hornady is so high that it's difficult to fill with a large full powder container and even more of a PITA to empty. There is a lot of powder beneath the baffle so lots of shaking and tapping holding this long awkward thing upside down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom