• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    While it would suck, you have a lot more than seconds. Just depends on what physical condition you are in and rescue ability. In near freezing water, with self rescue you'd have about 2-4 minutes as a healthy adult before you'd be non-functional and you'd need immediate access to dry warm clothing and/or ability to be taken in to a warm environment. For someone rescuing you, you'd have anything from 5-45 minutes depending on your physical condition.

Anyone who ventures out on cold water should be aware of the 1-10-1 rule. It's taught to us in swiftwater and ice rescue classes. Here is great explanation of it.

Check out the videos at the side. That first minute when your body goes into cold shock is where most people drown and gives rise to the myth that cold water can trigger a heart attack. If you've read about it you know its coming you can ride it out and not panic and then have a good chance at self rescue once the hyper ventilation subsides. Of course if you don't have PFD then your odds go way down to begin with.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Anyone who ventures out on cold water should be aware of the 1-10-1 rule. It's taught to us in swiftwater and ice rescue classes. Here is great explanation of it.

Check out the videos at the side. That first minute when your body goes into cold shock is where most people drown and gives rise to the myth that cold water can trigger a heart attack. If you've read about it you know its coming you can ride it out and not panic and then have a good chance at self rescue once the hyper ventilation subsides. Of course if you don't have PFD then your odds go way down to begin with.
    Good info...thanks. I'm always afraid of getting the boat in a jam, and spilling it on the river, and how I'd react.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I fell off an old blind on the PA side of Susquehanna, late season. My lord! How quickly that cold sucks your breath away. I was stupid lucky. Got out of my wet clothes and into my friend's extra layers. Stayed out in wet waders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom