• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Finally got my Form 1 stamp back for my 22 can. I have a Ruger SR22 with a threaded barrel and a Marlin 795 that are going to be the hosts. Since the threaded barrel is not a normally common thread size, I assume it would be best to just have the barrel on the Marlin threaded to the same threads as the Ruger. I would then also need the end cap of the suppressor threaded to match.

That being said, some suggested smiths have been Bollingers, Duffys, and W. Frear. I'm hoping to keep the cost right around $200. Not sure how reasonable that is. Any thoughts one way or the other on any of these smiths? Or maybe there is someone else that could be recommended? I live in Elkridge and I would prefer not to drive more than an hour if possible. Thanks in advance!

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014

Well you said anyone. :D

I've not had any of the above do work on my guns, but in the 2 years I've been actively hanging around here, I don't think there is a bad choice in the 3 you mention. Frear puts prices on his website and I assume everyone is competitive so you should come in on or slightly under budget.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Finally got my Form 1 stamp back for my 22 can. I have a Ruger SR22 with a threaded barrel and a Marlin 795 that are going to be the hosts. Since the threaded barrel is not a normally common thread size, I assume it would be best to just have the barrel on the Marlin threaded to the same threads as the Ruger. I would then also need the end cap of the suppressor threaded to match.

That being said, some suggested smiths have been Bollingers, Duffys, and W. Frear. I'm hoping to keep the cost right around $200. Not sure how reasonable that is. Any thoughts one way or the other on any of these smiths? Or maybe there is someone else that could be recommended? I live in Elkridge and I would prefer not to drive more than an hour if possible. Thanks in advance!

Have you called any of those places for recommendations and prices?

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Have you called any of those places for recommendations and prices?

I was more concerned about quality of worksmanship rather than prices. Given the nature of the people on the forum, I would feel safe in their recommendations. I guess I will go with the phone calls and just narrow it down to price/time or completion.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I had Duffy's shorten a Ruger and thread for suppressor. Also remounted front sight.

Nice work. Took a while, but any GOOD smith has a backlog.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Why not get a standard thread can... And have and adapter made in the thread size for the one barrel? Then your not paying for odd size threads every time you want to use your can on a different barrel.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Just make sure they understand, the threading must be centered to the bore, not the OD of the barrel.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I was actually able to find a 1/2 x 28 adapter for my SR22. Now I only need to have the Marlin barrel threaded.

1/2 x28 is pretty standard for most rim fires. What was the treading on your Ruger? European thread pitches are different, 1/2x20 as on my CZ's but there is usually an adapter available. Most rimfire cans are 1/2x28 so get your Marlin threaded to that pitch.If you want to send it out, Tornado Technologies, Gemtech and Superior Tactical Solutions immediately come to mind. Varies from $100-$150 with a thread protector. I see you're in Howard County so Engage, an IP here would be a good choice. IIRC $120 the last time I asked. These prices are for naked barrels with no front site.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    You could also try Tim Hafer in Hagerstown (might vie a tad more than an hour - but he does fantastic work) and ed Harren who is located in Ijamsville (just east and south of Frederick). Ed builds rifles and those that I've seen are well executed, shoot very well And my friends have been happy. I'm sure he can thread a barrel

Engage is also worth a call though I don't know the status of their gunsmith staffing.

Bollingers has done good work for me (happily go back) and duffys gets high marks as well. I'm not familiar with Frear

---
    Shamr0ck

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom