• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

According to the above article ...

The rifles sold for around $50 when they were first produced, then sold for $25 in 1882 when they became more popular.

According to the inflation calculator below $25-50 in that era, translates to $630-$1260 today ...

http://www.in2013dollars.com/1892-dollars-in-2014?amount=25

Seems a bit low to me insofar as currency depreciation, but if accepted as accurate, the other surprise is that lever gun pricing hasn't changed much.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I looked at the pictures again and the juniper tree that it was leaning against doesnt look that big. That makes me wonder how old the tree is and what the life span is of a juniper tree. It seems like aging the tree is the first piece of the puzzle.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I looked at the pictures again and the juniper tree that it was leaning against doesnt look that big. That makes me wonder how old the tree is and what the life span is of a juniper tree. It seems like aging the tree is the first piece of the puzzle.

I was wondering about the tree myself.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    That makes me wonder how old the tree is and what the life span is of a juniper tree.

Life span is well north of 100 years in that area of the country. It will get to five feet or so in the first 20 years. In 100+ years, it might get 10 to 15 feet tall. If that tree is 20+ feet, it could be 150 to 200 years old.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    There are questions, but still a great find and good on them for making it a museum piece.

Hope they don't find out that it was placed there last month as a hoax.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    Very cool! I have a similar '73 Winchester, my sister found it in the trash in front of an old house that was being renovated. It was wrapped in a blanket and most likely hidden under the porch and forgotten.

Wow, now to me that's almost as amazing as the other rifle being found. I wish I had your sister's luck!

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I'm suspicious about the Winchester resting in the crook of that tree for a hundred years. If someone leaned it into a crook in the 1800s that crook would not be there today for it to be leaning into.

More likely it fell off a pack horse or a horseback rider had it come out of a scabbard on rough ground and did not realize it. Probably found on the ground in unusable condition and leaned against the tree in the last couple of decades.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    More likely it fell off a pack horse or a horseback rider had it come out of a scabbard on rough ground and did not realize it. Probably found on the ground in unusable condition and leaned against the tree in the last couple of decades.

Something like that anyway. I don't think it's reasonable to expect it rested there since the 1890s. It's value was minimal in the 1940s through 1960s, so maybe around then, at the longest.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Very reasonable points. It was established as a National Park in 1986, so less than 30 years ago. It was presumably open for hunting before then.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    God knows what else is out there to be discovered. A long time ago my wallet worked its way out of my back pocket on a motorcycle ride through the California mountains and it arrived in the mail 5 YEARS later. That was a wallet that was on the shoulder of a paved road and it still took years for someone to chance upon it.

If I recall, the few scheckels in the wallet were still there. Good deed from a great American.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I'm suspicious about the Winchester resting in the crook of that tree for a hundred years. If someone leaned it into a crook in the 1800s that crook would not be there today for it to be leaning into.

:thumbsup: If it was there for too long the tree would have grown into/around it. Still a neat find.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Very reasonable points. It was established as a National Park in 1986, so less than 30 years ago. It was presumably open for hunting before then.

The 1986 date is important. I think it was leaned into the crook of the tree in recent decades, before 1986. After that there were Park Rangers to talk to, someone probably would have said something.

I think mushroom-or-weed-infused nature-hiking Hippies chanced upon it in the '70s and left it leaning for someone else to find. Pre-70s, I believe anyone else would have carried it out as a curio/relic.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Its obviously a well trained and behaved firearm. It stayed there all those years and never killed anyone. :D

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Wonder if any uncorroded brass cartridges are inside the Winchester, and if these would help bracket the approximate time that the rifle was left there (assuming that the rifle isn't a "plant").

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Its obviously a well trained and behaved firearm. It stayed there all those years and never killed anyone. :D
    perfect!
    seinfeld.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom