• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OldSchool1959

MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    So I'm having a problem with a batch of .45 I'm working on. I have loaded several 50 round runs of these using the same components and never observed this before. First here's what I'm using. Once fired mixed head stamp brass mostly Federal large primer and Rainier plated 230 gr. RN bullets. Using Lee .45 ACP 4 die set in an RCBS Partner single stage. I used the universal decapper to deprime, hand primed the tumbled brass and used the Lee expander/powder through die. Flared the cases just enough to start the bullet to seat. Charged the cases off press with 4.4 gr of Titegroup. Seated the bullets to 1.267" OAL. Went to crimp using the Lee FCD and followed the usual process for a light crimp. Felt a very slight size resistance like I typically do and noticed the slight shiney ring just below the case mouth while measuring the OAL. When I want to put the round into the tray I noticed that the bullet was loose. I was able to easily push it down into the case. I tried five or six others with the same result. Even when I turned the crimp adjuster town for a tighter crimp it still didn't fix it.
    Any ideas?

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Oopsie...
    The good news is it won't be difficult to fix. Just disassemble the rounds (bullets and powder). Then run the cases thru the sizing die with the decapping rod removed. Re-flare the case mouths and load 'em up.
    Sh*t happens.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    You need to make sure you resolve the issue. If the bullets are setting back easily, I would not fire those. Bullet set back can drive up case pressures to dangerous levels.

You may want to pull the bullets in the cases that were not full length resized. If you can chamber the brass with the live primer (no bullet or powder) you may be able to fire off the primer, so you do not have to deal with decapping a live primer, unless you have a way to get the decapper out of the resizing die. Im not familiar with the Lee 45 ACP dies, so not sure if the decapping stems unscrew out of those or not, or if that die uses a sizing ball on the stem.

RCBS carbide resizing pistol dies for 45ACP,do not using a sizing ball, but a carbide ring to size the body. You can remove the decapping stem.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Rock's absolutely right with his concerns and advice. I use the same Lee die set you have OldSchool. Once you have that decapping rod out of the die...size away.
    You know what to do from there.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Depending on the load and firearm, .45 acp cases don't tend to grow when fired. Personally I check most of my cases with a Lee case length gage system, but shaving anything off the case mouth is rare.

OldSchool1959

MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    Depending on the load and firearm, .45 acp cases don't tend to grow when fired. Personally I check most of my cases with a Lee case length gage system, but shaving anything off the case mouth is rare.

And this is the information that I base my "no need to trim .45" mantra upon. You guys out there in Hooligantucky reload more ammo than Big Sis buys in a year. :party29:

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I don't trim any of my handgun cases. I'm pretty sure I skipped the sizing step as I used the universal recap die when I was decapping a bunch of freshly tumbled brass.

Any particular reason for using the universal decapper on pistol brass? Otherwise the sizing die will do this for you.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

OldSchool1959

MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    Rainier is soft, just use your bullet seating die.

I agree with the statement on Rainiers being soft but can you clarify? Are you saying not to use the FCD to add a crimp?

Any particular reason for using the universal decapper on pistol brass? Otherwise the sizing die will do this for you.

Rich, I have no real reason. I had the universal in the press from decapping a bunch of clean .40 brass that I don't reload for and spaced the fact that I needed to size the .45 before continuing. My process is now back to normal i.e. decapping and sizing with the specific caliber die. It's ironic that I'm obsessive with every other step in my reloading but so careless with such a basic fundamental. I'm going to put the universal away or put an obvious mark on it to prevent future goat ropings. :sad20:

Oh, and thanks for the encouragement and quick analysis. You guys are great to have looking over my virtual shoulder.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I agree with the statement on Rainiers being soft but can you clarify? Are you saying not to use the FCD to add a crimp?

Rich, I have no real reason. I had the universal in the press from decapping a bunch of clean .40 brass that I don't reload for and spaced the fact that I needed to size the .45 before continuing. My process is now back to normal i.e. decapping and sizing with the specific caliber die. It's ironic that I'm obsessive with every other step in my reloading but so careless with such a basic fundamental. I'm going to put the universal away or put an obvious mark on it to prevent future goat ropings. :sad20:

Oh, and thanks for the encouragement and quick analysis. You guys are great to have looking over my virtual shoulder.

Raniers are plated bullets, usually with no cannelure. In my experience the fcd works fine on them. Just make sure of your oal before crimping because you will crease the bullet using the fcd.

I use the universal decapper on 223 brass, and then size with the decapping pin removed. Saves me a busted pin when I run into an undersized flash hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom