Thurmont Conservation and Sportsman's Club, Inc. (TCSC)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie Shooter

Feb 26, 2009
    Sykesville, MD
    Are there any memebers of the TCSC here? If so, what are your thoughts on the facilities? I do have a memebership at the AGC but this isn't that far from me and I like the idea of the campground and pool for the family.

If there are any members here that wouldn't mind me joining them to check it out sometime that would be great.

Thanks

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    I'm not a member at TCSC but I shoot there as a guest. They have quite a few matches and events.

Nice Club.... right on the Monocacy River and Fishing Creek.

I know a few MDS's are Members and will hopefully chime in.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I too am not a member, but I'm a regular at the Garand matches there, and have been able to make it to some of the IDPA matches too.

They have many events open to non-members. Just pick out something that interests you and show up ready to shoot. It's a great way to meet people and get a feel for the place.

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    Pardon my "necro post" but I was wondering if any members could weigh in?
    I'm looking to join a club for my 11-year-old son and me.
    I'd like something that let's him shoot at something more than paper (plates, spinners, bowling pins, other?).

Anyone have any insight on what they have at Thurmont?
    Their website doesn't get too specific.
    Thanks!

jplum

Feb 3, 2008
    If you want to check it out, we teach the orientation on the first Saturday of the month. Stop by about 9:00 (usually) and we can show you around. If you can't make it then let me know and we can setup a walkthrough. The offer apples to all.

Good club, lots of different shooting events. Check out the website www.tcandsc.org calendar. :-)

We have a youth trap team. There is a swimming pool with a diving board (lifeguard too), boat ramp and camping. You have to do some volunteer work. The family's time helping counts too.

Fishing is good. My best catfish from the point is 9.5 lbs. Best trout I know of was better than 23 inches. Smallmouth bass are usually on the small side but fun.

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    I'm a member but haven't been up there much. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that besides paper the only other targets authorized are the plates that are in the specific pistol bays.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I'd like something that let's him shoot at something more than paper (plates, spinners, bowling pins, other?).

Anyone have any insight on what they have at Thurmont?
    Their website doesn't get too specific.
    Thanks!
    Better off at Monocacy Pistol Club in Frederick. Monthly bowling pin match, monthly steel matches with dueling trees and Texas Stars, rimfire metallic silhouette match, and provided we get a new match director our rimfire falling steel match. Some matches allow both .22 riffes and pistols.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    I'm a member. FWIW the rules are here

http://www.tcandsc.org/tcscRules.htm

Event Calendar.

http://www.tcandsc.org/tcscEvents.htm

Its a good club. Lots of stuff going on all the time. Once you pass the range test you are bascally cleared to to use any of the facility. Yeah there are dickheads but you get them everywhere

I think the steel targets are the only ones authorized beyond paper. They have them in the action bays. There are special ones for cowboy action and there are also restrictions on what you can shoot with them. I.E. no HP rifle in the action bays. If anything I wish they would allow them on the range. Its a 300 yd range and it would be nice if they let you ring a bell at that distance, I haven't asked yet but have been told the B.O.D. will shoot that down. Over all its a great facility, trap, action bays you can move targets around in, a small archery range for what its worth and a covered, 50, 100, 200,300 yard range. I think they also have a shotgun or BP target board but I never really looked at it. I shoot a flintlock at 50 from under the roof anyways. Boat ramp on the river too.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick

Thanks!

To be honest I think you are going to be hard pressed to find a club like that. Monocacy has stuff like that as organized competitions but most won't let you shoot up a trash heap showing up impromptu on a Saturday. I guess it depends on what you want. I've been meaning to check out the competitions but life keeps getting in the way. One of the clubs over there either Cresap or Monocacy has a rep for being volunteer hours Nazis, not sure which one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom