• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    My first 12 ga. was a Westernfield pump (Relabeled Mossy 500) from the Monkey Wards in Glen Burnie Mall in the mid 70s.

My first "official" firearms training was through the Severna Park YMCA in the early 70s. We had a rifle club that met on Saturday mornings at the range in the (private) Severn School basement. The club was led by an Active Duty Marine Captain. He retired local and went to work at the Agency as a Civilian, where I worked with for several years.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    . When Zayres had their closeout sale preparatory to shutting down the Gun Departments in '77 , every was 50% off . A Savage 12ga pump for me , Rem 1100 20ga Lightweight for Dad, and a couple cases of shells .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yep. Harford Mall. I got fired for shooting balloons from the stockroom with a returned BB gun.

Hmm, I don't remember them in the 80s.

Oh well.

Ex is born and raised HarCo.

I moved here in 1984.

Huck Hound

Mar 8, 2020
    Just think , 20 years from now , these will be the Good Old Days .

With all the sh!t going on now...I doubt it. Too many freedoms being taken away and encroachments on basic lifestyle now. We have a segment of society involved with treason and attempting to over throw the country. This is the most dangerous time since ww2 and many don't have a clue because they are told to look the other way and are believing the BS on the nightly news.

Last edited:

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    My dad got me a Ithica Model 37 Deluxe featherweight 12ga at either EJ Korvette or Monkey Wards (I forget) when I returned home from Vietnam. I wish I still had it today.

I still have the one I bought from Mr Donahue in 1981. It was my first purchase as an 18 year old.
    A slam fire model.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That was my point . 20yrs we will be screwed so much worse , that what we have remaining in 2021 will seem good by comparison .

Feb 28, 2013
    I remember throwing my AK on the passenger seat and heading to the range with no worries whatsoever about getting pulled over. I also remember students going hunting before school and parking their truck in the school parking lot with their rifles in a window rack. Nobody batted an eye. I also remember people saying what was on their minds without fear of reprisal. I remember Freedom and Liberty. Now I am called a "poor steward of Liberty" by people on this very forum because I question and stand up against what's going on in America.

Our brand of political incorrectness makes people here in the MD state prison colony uncomfortable :sad20:

BTW, I like no 4 in yer sig line :thumbsup:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    For what happened, times change. They always do. We have 2x more people living in this country today than we did in 1960. And we are more urbanized than we were then. So the areas around cities have gotten much more dense and the cities themselves, most of them, are a lot larger too. Rural areas haven’t seen much population growth by and large.

Most Democratic countries are run by the largest collection of people who share nominal political views. For awhile now, that has been the urban and suburban populations.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I worked at Woolworth in Bel Air in the mid 80’s. We sold Garands for $99 and M1 Carbines for $89. I could have gotten an employee discount if I were old enough.

Woolworths was the first job application and interview I had- early summer 1996. Guess it was a good thing they didn’t hire me. :)

walt54th

Sep 11, 2017
    When the NRA was on RI Ave in DC

I used to park a few blocks away and walk over with my cased Mossberg .22 and shoot until closing time. No one batted eye. How about Memco Stores (or was it Gemco?). Bought a BP 1860 Colt there (early ‘70’s) for $40 and they had racks of Moisin Nagants for the same price. Heck, I took 2 semesters of rifle in college. And mass shootings were rare. It’s not the access to hardware, which has been increasingly restricted over the years. More restrictions won’t make people respect each other and choose to avoid conflict to solve differences but I’m afraid that’s where we are headed.

Calpoke

Dec 12, 2009
    Harford County
    First Shotgun Purchase

I bought my first 12ga shotgun at Tops located on North Point Blvd in the early 70s, plus shells for it. Still have and shoot Trap with it today.

warmachine

... AS LONG AS THEY FEAR
    Jan 20, 2013
    FOB PUFFY
    I remember as a child looking a pistols at Montgomery Wards. Then walking to Woolworths who had wooden barrels of surplus guns. Those were the days.

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    My first BB Gun, came from the mom & pop hardware store in Marshall, VA. The Grants department store in Rose Hill, VA (DC suburbs), just off of Franconia Road, used to have a gun counter, as late as the summer of 1970....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom