• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    I am trying to buy my dad an O/U for his 60th birthday. I want to get him the best O/U for my budget ($1000).
    I’m thinking of:
    Winchester 101
    Used Browning Cynergy
    Used Beretta 686

I haven’t found any of the used guns in my price range but I may find luck. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thank You!

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I have a Browning Cynergy CX and I absolutely love it. I think it's an incredible value. When they released it, it was a huge flop because of the stock design, so ultimately they brought the price down.

Advantages for me are low bore axis, so it fits me perfectly without the need for an adjustable comb (YMMV). It also uses a mechanical trigger over a inertia, and is striker fired. This results in a very crisp and fast action.

I heard that some earlier models had crummy triggers, but mine breaks like glass and length of pull is adjustable.

Personally, I would stick with a "B gun", whether it be a Beretta or Browning. You can't go wrong.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    As I was looking at used guns I realized how bad timing was. Luckily his birthday is September so I have time.

If people keep ignoring recommendations, look for a lot of estate sales in the near future. :rolleyes:

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I would give Duffy's Gun Room a call. From their Instagram, it looked like they had some used pump guns still in stock, and definitely some sporting guns. Duffy's is well connected to distributors also. If they can't find it, I trust no one can.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Well that was fast. Guess I’m getting him a “B gun” haha.

Not sure what the prices are these days, but if he has a single use for it and doesn't need choke tubes, look for a Belgian made Browning. Very well build and will hold its' value.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    What are you getting him it for? Trap? Clays? Skeet? upland game?

Is he going to pound out 100 rounds of clays in a session?

I'm no O/U gun expert but recently went nuts on it and made several purchases (Used Beretta 686, Used Browning Citori, and New Tristar TT15) for me and my son to shoot and figure out which we like best.
    I have talked to several Seniors that switched to a semi to soften the recoil. I don't know how each gun would factor in comfort cause I"m used to the recoil of the Milsurps I shoot.

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    He uses it for skeet. He loves the O/U. He always asks for one when we go to PG trap. I prefer my semi, but he loves the O/U.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Definitely a Beretta or Browning. However, they have different fits. For me a Beretta was a good off the shelf fit. For one of my buds, it was a Browning. Need to try before buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom