Unregister from MMCC (Medical Cannabis Commission)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    And that relates to Maryland law how ...?

Preemption

That said, there is evidence that suggests that Medica use if marijuana CAN alleviate the symptoms of some conditions. There is also evidence to suggest that mis-use, or over-use of marijuana CAN cause other health problems

The reality is that marijuana usually does not cause violent tendencies in users, much less so than alcohol, driving on the beltway, or my wife when she gets "hangry".

In short, there really is no reason to restrict firearm ownership (a right) due to the use of a medically prescribed substance.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    ( Hopefully) this thread isn't diving into kicking about the merits or lack of the medical benefits of weed . Nor the relative societal effects of weed , either in the abstract, or in comparison to Budweiser and Marlboros . The question was * Legal * .

Weed is Schedule one .
    Use of illegal drugs is Prohibiting .
    One of the magic 17 checks conducted by MSP is NICS.
    Possession of MMJ Card per se is Federal Prohibiting .
    Per published ATF Policy, minimum of 1yr after expiration/ termination of MMJ Card to no longer he considered a User . THIS detail has not yet been tested in Federal Courts , so this could be somthing for someone to challenge .

Ironically , one would be less likely to get tripped up over this by using street weed for medical purposes , than participating in the sort of, almost, but not actually Legal MMJ Card system .

I have frequently said the current wink, wink - nod, nod situation is the worst possible approach . Either totally illegal, or totally legal would be better .

Not to seem flippant , but pressure is needed for US Congress to make it either unambiguously legal, or unambiguously illegal .

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Pardon me for being so naive, but tell me again how federal law plays into Maryland’s transfer application that is based on Maryland law?

I urge you to hit the library and study up on how these various laws work.

I would urge you to study up. Maryland law does not supersede or replace Federal law. If you have a MMC, according to the law you may not own firearms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Was weed that hard to get that they needed this whole system?

Illegally? I assume not.

Much like carrying a firearm.

Easy to do, hard to do legally. Much like the efforts of those who are proponents of shall issue and constitutional carry, this system is in place so that people who have something to lose don't risk doing so by excecrcsing their right to self-determination

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I don’t dispute that there may be many important and beneficial uses of cannabis related products, but let’s get real ... This drug has not been the subject of many long-term studies and what’s out there suggests a significant link between use and serious mental health disorders, particularly in teens.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/health-47609849

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicati...k-between-marijuana-use-psychiatric-disorders

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/02/190213172307.htm

Yep

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I would urge you to study up. Maryland law does not supersede or replace Federal law. If you have a MMC, according to the law you may not own firearms.

It doesn’t have to. I’m studied up, believe me. Like with schooling and all. Like, with some shit in Latin on paper. I promise I’m super duper smart on this.

There’s federal transfer laws, which deal with interstate transactions and such, and there’s Maryland law, which deals with transfers in Maryland. Dealers have to deal with federal and Maryland law. Non-dealers and the MSP doing a transfer have to deal with Maryland law and not federal law.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    It doesn’t have to. I’m studied up, believe me. Like with schooling and all. Like, with some shit in Latin on paper. I promise I’m super duper smart on this.

There’s federal transfer laws, which deal with interstate transactions and such, and there’s Maryland law, which deals with transfers in Maryland. Dealers have to deal with federal and Maryland law. Non-dealers and the MSP doing a transfer have to deal with Maryland law and not federal law.

Oh, so MSP doesn't have to do NICS checks? Good to know. I guess than we can transfer post-86 machine guns through MSP since MSP doesn't have to deal with the Hughes Amdendment. Even better to know.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That’s the MSP’s position but it’s ********. Section 13-3313(a) of the Health General Article provides that a qualifying patient shall “not be denied any right or privilege for the medical use or possession of medical cannabis.”

You don't think for half a second that Maryland is going to apply that brave talk to Federal gun laws, do you?

Do you think Maryland is going to defend FFL Dealers who transfer long guns without a form 4473, without a NICS check? When the BATF revokes their Federal Firearms Licences, is Maryland going to tell those dealers, "It's okay. You keep selling guns: we'll defend you from the Feds. The 2nd Amendment is your FFL."

The Feds could swoop in this afternoon and start raiding the Marijuana Dispensaries and locking up the employees and owners. They simply choose not to.

Federal law still governs long gun possession and transfers within Maryland. That's why we fill out 4473s for a single shot .22 Cricket. That's why they run a NICS check for a .410 shotgun.

That's why a Marijuana Patient card will still disqualify you for any long gun, even that Cricket (although a Caregiver card should not).

Maryland is partially nullifying the federal marijuana laws, and the Feds aren't pushing it. That's all that's going on. Maryland is not going to nullify Federal gun laws.

Last edited:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Nobody in this thread has even talked about non dealers doing a transfer, not sure where you’re getting that.
    This thread was about a CCW while holding a MMC. It was pointed out several times that according to federal law, having a MMC prohibits one from owning firearms. State law is irrelevant at that point.
    Maybe if I write this in Latin you’ll be able to understand it since you’re super duper smart and studied up.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Oh, so MSP doesn't have to do NICS checks? Good to know. I guess than we can transfer post-86 machine guns through MSP since MSP doesn't have to deal with the Hughes Amdendment. Even better to know.

Hmmmm...What he is saying is MSP has to do a NICS check, but since MMC info is not shared with NICS (at least from Maryland), then no prohibition would show up. And since MSP does NOT require a 4473, then federal law does not apply since they are not applying it, nor is MSP REQUIRED to apply/enforce federal (Google Printz).

So, if that is the case, then State law applies and per the Maryland Statute he cited, is in conflict with Maryland State Statute on transfers under the 77R system.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Smoke in the streets I guess I should say.

Take a look at Canada, they are a around 11 months into full legalization, place has fallen apart,......right?

Err.....uhhhhh..... hasn't it?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    What's straw about using our nearest neighbor who's now recently fully decriminalized as an example of how it might go?

I see no straw man there....

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The straw man is the implied claim that legalisation would lead to the whole place falling apart within 11 months.

No one said said. That's not the argument against legalisation. It's a textbook example of a straw man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom