• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    if anyone in the group has a pop up, bring it just in case.

notebook and pen extremely hopeful. ballistics app on your phone with most of the data (estimated is fine)to start.

I like double hearing protection (foam + over the ear)

lastly an open mind....your rifle isn't fitted properly to you now, I promise lol.

THIS. LOL.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    If you are on the fence about taking Ed's class, don't hesitate. Sign up and go. I was amazed at how much knowledge Ed was able to cover in a weekend. I'm still writing down notes.

Great shooting with everyone this weekend.

i-KHNPLjN-L.jpg

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    If you are on the fence about taking Ed's class, don't hesitate. Sign up and go. I was amazed at how much knowledge Ed was able to cover in a weekend. I'm still writing down notes.

i-KHNPLjN-L.jpg

Yes sir. It was great meeting Ed, Bill, you and the other guys. Thanks for coordinating and being the point man for our group.

I'm probably going to be dreaming about swaying trees and seeing mil-dots in my sleep for a while.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery

Yes, what a fantastic adventure and thank you for heading up our group. It was nice meeting everyone and I always look forward to matching faces with screen names. Great picture too! I brought my camera but there was so much going on that I totally forgot about it.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country

i-KHNPLjN-L.jpg

MacMoov. I was looking at your picture again and thought it would be cool to show the guys who have yet to go what 1200 yds looks like.

6c3ca079df98ec0b676c00b9e720be61.jpg

The 10"x21" steel target is just in front of that clump of trees.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    MacMoov. I was looking at your picture again and thought it would be cool to show the guys who have yet to go what 1200 yds looks like.

No wonder we kept searching for your hits at 1200 yards. That's the 1140 yard target. :innocent0 just funning wit ya. :D

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester

That was actually the 1140 mark. The 1200 is to the right. In my best CSI voice...

"Let me zoom in for you"

i-LMFLh8j-L.jpg

"A little closer"

i-JPctB9L-L.jpg

I think you ran out of elevation at 800. I was impressed you were able to hit the rest of them by using hold overs.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    No wonder we kept searching for your hits at 1200 yards. That's the 1140 yard target. :innocent0 just funning wit ya. :D

That did happen to me but not with this target. I was shooting at one of them and Ed kept saying "I got no data".

That was actually the 1140 mark. The 1200 is to the right. In my best CSI voice...

"Let me zoom in for you"

Much better. With that lens you could almost use your camera as a spotting scope.

I think you ran out of elevation at 800. I was impressed you were able to hit the rest of them by using hold overs.

Yea I totally botched those instructions and thought the Stealth came from the factory with a 20 MOA rail. I could only get out to 880yds.

To reach the last target I had to dial down to 12x and pull up 6.3 mils. With the wind I was still off the reticle scale. The little orange dot simulates where I had to aim.

e11796ed9e2411b7235bb66b921eb942.jpg

I was amazed it all came together and could ping steel.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Yea I totally botched those instructions and thought the Stealth came from the factory with a 20 MOA rail. I could only get out to 880yds.

To reach the last target I had to dial down to 12x and pull up 6.3 mils. With the wind I was still off the reticle scale. The little orange dot simulates where I had to aim.

e11796ed9e2411b7235bb66b921eb942.jpg

I was amazed it all came together and could ping steel.

I caught bits and pieces of that running out of elevation conversation going on in the background. Very nice shooting John. Makes me wonder if a horus reticle would be a good purchase. I've been kinda sorta looking at them recently.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Man these pics and all this talk make me want to get back out there again. I thought I had a nice stock (HS Precision) when I went there last year, I left with it covered with tape and foam too. Went home and bought an XLR adjustible chassis, no more tape for me. :)

Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek
    I am thinking of taking my rifle in this week to have the scope put on the collimator. I am not feeling 100 percent about my mounting job.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I am thinking of taking my rifle in this week to have the scope put on the collimator. I am not feeling 100 percent about my mounting job.

If you are taking Ed's class soon, don't bother. I spent an hour at home carefully setting my scope to a position I thought was correct. The second part of the class you get behind the rifle and find the "correct" scope and stock position for your body. So all of my efforts at home were waisted. Now that I understand the method used to properly adjust the scope I can do it myself next time.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    If you are taking Ed's class soon, don't bother. I spent an hour at home carefully setting my scope to a position I thought was correct. The second part of the class you get behind the rifle and find the "correct" scope and stock position for your body. So all of my efforts at home were waisted. Now that I understand the method used to properly adjust the scope I can do it myself next time.

Well, that'd have been good to know before I burned two boxes of ammo getting accurate data, zeroes, etc. :lol2:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Well, that'd have been good to know before I burned two boxes of ammo getting accurate data, zeroes, etc. :lol2:

The data on how your ammo performs is pretty important and probably not time or money wasted.

However even here the class program will start at 100yds to get good zeros. Then you'll use your ballistics software to calculate the bullet drop for each of the longer range targets. Then as you shoot out to longer ranges you will record the "actual" bullet drop in your log and the amount of scope elevation required to bring you back to zero.

After all of your actual data is compared to the ballistic software calculations you go back and look at the other parameters that impact the ballistic curve. In my case I had incorrect altitude and velocity. After correcting those my bullet arc matched almost exactly to the recorded data.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    What calibers are you guys running? Long distance shooting looks like a lot of fun to be had.

In our class we had 4 shooting 6.5 creedmoor and one with 308, and a special showing of 338 Lapua to really put a hurt on the plate. I seem to remember that in previous classes most were using 6.5 or 308.

Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek

You Sir, are a rock star in my book!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom