What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Chamfered and deburred 300 of these, by hand. The first 250 seemed to go quickly by the last 50 were painful.

1ea849116ac66d082b54a5640251dfb9.jpg

I suggest grabbing one of the Lee trimmer/case gauge sets for whatever rifle calibers you load, then you can chuck the shell holder in a drill. Much cheaper than one of the automatic case prep stations and just as fast.

You may use some other method to trim, but you can use your chamfer/deburr tool while you spin the case in the drill and save your hands when doing large batches.

I think the sets are only about 5 bucks per caliber, you might even be able to get the shell holders separate for even cheaper.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Got another noob question. When reloading the .44 mag do you seat and crimp in one pull or seat all the bullets and then crimp them all in separate steps? I have mine set where it will seat the bullet and crimp. It took a lot of adjusting to get it to do both at once. How do you know if your crimp is sufficient? I'm using Hornady 240gr XTP with a cannelure. If I have to seat and then crimp so be it, I'd like my first batch to be a success.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Got another noob question. When reloading the .44 mag do you seat and crimp in one pull or seat all the bullets and then crimp them all in separate steps? I have mine set where it will seat the bullet and crimp. It took a lot of adjusting to get it to do both at once. How do you know if your crimp is sufficient? I'm using Hornady 240gr XTP with a cannelure. If I have to seat and then crimp so be it, I'd like my first batch to be a success.

If your brass is all the exact same length, you can seat and crimp in one step. If not, you can have issues. The Lee factory crimp die in a separate step would be the way to go if you don't want to worry about trimming all your brass to the same length every time.

To check my crimp I usually hold the case and press the bullet against my workbench pretty hard to see if the bullet moves or not. Not a very scientific way of doing it, but it's worked for me.

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Today the task was to load up ladder loads with 75gr Hornady BtHP using CFE223 and 8208 xbr, Lake City brass of course. 16 loads to test sometime soon.

Attachments

• tmp_8552-IMG_20170422_215202_542-461481198.jpg
      tmp_8552-IMG_20170422_215202_542-461481198.jpg
      149.7 KB · Views: 260

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Sorted, deprimed, tumbled and sized 1000rds of 9mm range brass.. Now to load some up (tomorrow when it's raining).

edit... oh and only had one round of .380 in the bag....:lol2:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Sorted, deprimed, tumbled and sized 1000rds of 9mm range brass.. Now to load some up (tomorrow when it's raining).

edit... oh and only had one round of .380 in the bag....:lol2:

That's better than average!

I have been on the same bend...

Finished loading 500 Xtreme 147gn HPs with 3.4gn of Titegroup.

Went to the range yesterday to see how it shoots. Here is a 50yd group from a sand bag rest. Later, I was dropping them into a 10" target @ 100yds un supported. They were hitting about 5-6" lower going from 50-100yds.

That's from a 5" ADCO barrel!

Attachments

• HP.jpg
      HP.jpg
      83.6 KB · Views: 279
    • xtreme.jpg
      xtreme.jpg
      46.3 KB · Views: 257

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I'm going to try out the same load with some ACME coated 147gr FP's that I picked up a couple hundred of til I can get a mold of my own. I'm waiting for Extreme to put the 147gr on sale, then I'll get some. Lately it's been every other 9mm boolit but the 147's... :lol2:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Finally loaded up some .30-06 using 17 grains of Unique and 200 grain cast bullets with gas checks.

Since getting that 1916 Spanish Mauser up and running, I think I need a 7x57 mold.

Gotta make something out of all these wheel weights.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    loaded up 150 rounds of 6mmBR, missed the first match cause they weren't loaded, won't happen again.

However, noticed that I'm out of hornady sure loc ring which I needed of course, so ordered 6.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    That's better than average!

I have been on the same bend...

Finished loading 500 Xtreme 147gn HPs with 3.4gn of Titegroup.

Went to the range yesterday to see how it shoots. Here is a 50yd group from a sand bag rest. Later, I was dropping them into a 10" target @ 100yds un supported. They were hitting about 5-6" lower going from 50-100yds.

That's from a 5" ADCO barrel!

I witnessed this happen.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Finally loaded up some .30-06 using 17 grains of Unique and 200 grain cast bullets with gas checks.

Since getting that 1916 Spanish Mauser up and running, I think I need a 7x57 mold.

Gotta make something out of all these wheel weights.

I'm interested in the results as I was started to work with pistol powder in light load 308 cast bullets. I'm somewhat interested myself in lower velocity non gas checked bullets but interested in your results as well. Hopefully, you chrono yours.

My reloading is out of commission until after my move to a new house in June.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    First batch of 100 lipstick bullets.. Acme 147grFP in 9mm. We'll see how they do and... Extreme did have 5% off on 147gr HP's so I ordered a box of them today to mess with. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 9mm lipstickbullets.jpg
      9mm lipstickbullets.jpg
      64.2 KB · Views: 225

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Well damn a few of us were out shootin in the rain with Ed this past weekend burning up ammo.

Thankfully, I see the local munitions factories were operating at 110% capacity.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Do you watch The Reloader Dude on YT? He has been recently pushing Acme Bullets.
    No, never watched him, but I will. I had an order going with MidSouth and decided to try some out. I would normally cast and coat my own, but I don't have a 9mm mold yet, need to do some research on that. I do have a couple of 357 molds that may just work for 9's too, but they are both 158gr, kinda heavy... lol

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    No, never watched him, but I will. I had an order going with MidSouth and decided to try some out. I would normally cast and coat my own, but I don't have a 9mm mold yet, need to do some research on that. I do have a couple of 357 molds that may just work for 9's too, but they are both 158gr, kinda heavy... lol

It's a small channel but I like his personality. He shoots a lot of 9mm in competition and is/was asking the viewers for load suggestions to try for his new 147 grain Acme FP bullets. He also buys their alloy for casting.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    My dillon 550 had been out of action for a bit since it fell out of alignment, and a tool was needed from dillon to re-align the press. The tool arrived this past weekend and after fixing the press I used up a box of Xtreme 230gr 45acp plated to shore up my dwindling inventory with 500 new rounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom