• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tacticalglobe

III %er
    Mar 11, 2012
    Nottingham, MD
    Example,

If you have a CCW for the surrounding states.
    Carry you firearm unloaded and locked up.
    Ammo separate of course.

If anything happens to of from work. " you were on your way to visit that said state you are covered under your CCW "

You are covered.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If you are in MD, MD cops don't give a whit about your out of state CCW or FOPA. you're in MD. To them, only MD law applies.

good luck

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    IIRC He was not charged, because he had not violated any law. But had to go through the hassle of getting the firearm back. Simply because he had his range badge around his neck. I believe it happened in Germantown.

I was simply pointing out that you cannot predict with any certainty the idiocy of people in MD.

WTF - he was on his way to the range and they took his weapon?? WHY?

That being said - I don't put on my range badge until I get to the range.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    he was returning from the range. i have no idea why the weapon was confiscated.

which proves my point. Don't say never.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    there you go. thanks Threeband

PF Flyer
    Long story short, several weeks ago I was involved in a minor fender bender on my way back home from the range. A police officer who happened to be passing by stopped, I had forgotten to remove my range badge before getting behind the wheel of my truck -- DUMB, DUMB, DUMB!!! -- the officer asked the inevitable questions, which I answered honestly, she was relentless in pushing for consent for a search, I finally caved and consented, and she confiscated my handguns because she wrongly thought that she saw a violation of the transport laws. The prosecutors subsequently agreed that I hadn't violated the transport laws, but the MCPD still has my firearms.
    not a gas stop but a fender bender. just pointing out the behavior of some LE folks in MD. I'm not saying don't stop just saying just having a range badge got this guy in trouble.

It can happen

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Nonsense. The law says nothing of the sort.

Sure, but when I asked a former NRPO at my hunter safety course a couple of years ago on hunting with handguns he told me it wasn't worth it relating the fine tale of someone going to eat lunch after hunting for the day and forgetting he had his handgun strapped to him still and getting arrested. Yes, that is a bit different than having left it in the vehicle. It won't stop me from hunting with one, but deer hunting with a non-handgun and some bad weather rolls in or just feeling hungry and feeling like a break? Roll out to someplace near by for lunch for an hour and head back. Can't do that with a handgun.

He at least related to and from your house and hunting and nothing in between. I really can't imagine them gigging you if you stopped for gas (if left in the vehicle). Going out for a meal, let alone going to work first you'd probably got nailed if it was discovered you had a firearm in your vehicle.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    there you go. thanks Threeband

PF Flyernot a gas stop but a fender bender. just pointing out the behavior of some LE folks in MD. I'm not saying don't stop just saying just having a range badge got this guy in trouble.

It can happen

No, what got him in trouble was consenting to a search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    No, what got him in trouble was consenting to a search.

Which was based on the officer's incorrect belief that the mere wearing of a range badge (or perhaps targets or range bag) was PC for a search. the original statement said that having paraphernalia like targets or a range bag would not result in a non consensual encounter with LE.

clearly not the case.

he got hassled and his firearm confiscated nonetheless.

The encounter started on the observation of the range badge, then proceeded to the search.

never say never.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    glad i moved from not-so-merryland after college WAY back when. got pulled in va and the cop chastised me for having a handgun in the trunk, and NOT on my hip. got pulled in wva after a 3 gun match and the cop talked with me about doing matches. i did get tickets in both cases which seemed a little surprising given our banter.

cokebuck

Don't Re-Member
    Apr 1, 2016
    Isn't it safer to stop for gas than to run out of gas on a remote road with guns in the car?

On the other hand, if a crime is committed (hopefully not by you) at the gas station and police need to detain all people present for questioning and investigation, that would be very awkward.

My 2 1/2 cents: Stop if you must, but do it quick as possible and keep that car full of guns secure and in sight for god's sake.

cokebuck

Don't Re-Member
    Apr 1, 2016
    Sure you can have your guns.
    But if they catch you with them between here and there, you in trouble.

Can't have your cake and eat it too
    or can't have your gun and shoot it too.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I don't think I said it in * this* thread yet, but for all transport related topics, there are actually FOUR different conversations :

1. What actual State/ Federal statutes say.
    2. What various LE Agencies say/ recomend as official statements, FAQ's, etc.
    3. What random individual LEO thinks, feels, was once told by someone with stripes, makes up, or just decides to size everything, and let God sort it out.

4. What a prudent and discreet gun owner would/ should wisely do.

All four can be different.

OhMyG

Jan 22, 2017
    Germantown
    Use common sense, is hard from a police stand point to proof you are not going home or not going to the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I don't think I said it in * this* thread yet, but for all transport related topics, there are actually FOUR different conversations :

1. What actual State/ Federal statutes say.
    2. What various LE Agencies say/ recomend as official statements, FAQ's, etc.
    3. What random individual LEO thinks, feels, was once told by someone with stripes, makes up, or just decides to size everything, and let God sort it out.

4. What a prudent and discreet gun owner would/ should wisely do.

All four can be different.

You left 3 out:

#5 What Bubba down at the gunshop told me the law is.

#6 What my neighbor's neice's cousin's father inlaw's uncle's boss's son did and was arrested for, burned with hot coals and water boarded by the chief deputy sheriff, grand jury foreman and courthouse cafe waitress.

#7 What some MDS Newbie who hasn't introduced theirself and has never done any research thinks the law is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom