• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 07g35xnick

Feb 28, 2012
    Mount airy md
    So help me understand this HQL. Mine went active 2 days after I applied . Does that mean I'm good to purchase a handgun? I have a hard time understanding how it took so little time. App sent 8/11/14 active (certification date) 8/13/14

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    So help me understand this HQL. Mine went active 2 days after I applied . Does that mean I'm good to purchase a handgun? I have a hard time understanding how it took so little time. App sent 8/11/14 active (certification date) 8/13/14

There really is no understanding how quick or long it takes. Some have gotten the card in the mail in less than a week and some have waited 3 plus weeks.

Your good to do paperwork when you get your card Iin the mail.

I applied on the 14th and am still missing the same 3 as a bunch of other people, nics, cjis, jis.

07g35xnick

Feb 28, 2012
    Mount airy md
    There really is no understanding how quick or long it takes. Some have gotten the card in the mail in less than a week and some have waited 3 plus weeks.

Your good to do paperwork when you get your card Iin the mail.

I applied on the 14th and am still missing the same 3 as a bunch of other people, nics, cjis, jis.

Wow that's crazy. I must have slipped in at a good time

HQL count estimates for FY 2014:

~ 4300 (10/1/13 - 12/31/13)
    ~ 9800 (1/1/14 - 6/30/14)

Totals: ~14,100

Rut roh, the budget estimate was for 65,990. .

(My estimate (back in February) was 12,442....). Which was a heck of a lot closer.

Wonder how they're going to make that up?

More than 50,000 hql's less at $50 each is a >$2.5 M shortfall on HQL fees.

:sad20: What a CF.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    its funny how things work. I applied 8/8, things went quick at first, then a stand still. When I emailed saying that others who applied after ma have already received their cards, boom. An email reply this morning says that my app was reviewed and approved. Now, to make it over to 2A and see if they still have the pistol I have been hankering for.

OneOfAKynde

Aug 20, 2014
    Application\License Fee Completed Aug/17/14
    MVA Photo Completed Aug/18/14
    LiveScan Completed Aug/18/14
    NICS Completed Aug/18/14
    CJIS Completed Aug/18/14
    MAFSS Completed Aug/18/14
    METERS Completed Aug/18/14
    JIS Completed Aug/18/14
    DJS Not Applicable Aug/18/14
    DHMH Completed Aug/18/14

Application went to "Active" status on Aug/19/2014. Received card in mail today Aug/25/2014. Took 5-6 business days to have the card in hand.

I was not training exempt. Took the "free" course at MSAR. And I have a rather unique name.

Husband submitted application the same time as me. He has a VERY common name and his application is still incomplete. Called MDSP and they said it's still processing.

Last edited:

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I'm getting bored with my present guns, so I'm thinking about getting the damned HQL so that when things pick up for me again money wise I can get rid of boredom via The Bank here in town. Can you get fingerprinted at the MVA plus get the pic done there at the same time? Or do I have to go to 2 different places, MVA and my pick of Bel Air place or Elkton place for prints ( which I again have to go look up...)? I already have owned handguns before 10/1/13 and still have the MSP form copies for them, so that exempts me from the training requirement still, right? Can you print the app online and take it filled out to any MSP barracks? (There's one in North East). Do the pics and prints first, then go to MSP barracks in person with app and pic?

Egads, this is more complicated than getting a FL ccw lisc...

Feb 28, 2013
    I'm getting bored with my present guns, so I'm thinking about getting the damned HQL so that when things pick up for me again money wise I can get rid of boredom via The Bank here in town. Can you get fingerprinted at the MVA plus get the pic done there at the same time? Or do I have to go to 2 different places, MVA and my pick of Bel Air place or Elkton place for prints ( which I again have to go look up...)?

First, you have to find a place that uses Livescan, and then give them the following, as it appears on the MSP website......

Agency Authorization Number: 1300004845
    Agency ORI Number: MD920511Z
    Reason Fingerprinted: MD Public Safety Article, Section 5-117.1 pertaining to Handgun Qualification License.

Moving right along...:)

I already have owned handguns before 10/1/13 and still have the MSP form copies for them, so that exempts me from the training requirement still, right?

Yes. You'll need the make, model, caliber, and serial number of a handgun you currently own.

Can you print the app online and take it filled out to any MSP barracks? (There's one in North East). Do the pics and prints first, then go to MSP barracks in person with app and pic?

No. You can only do the app online. On the receipt you get after you're fingerprinted, you'll find something called a "process control number". You will need this because it's a required field on the online app form.

Well, the "online only" crap is one of the untold designs of the law. The Politburo knows not everyone has a computer, or knows how to use one, and some don't want to deal with online forms. So that provides the dubious benefit of less people interested in buying handguns.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'm getting bored with my present guns, so I'm thinking about getting the damned HQL so that when things pick up for me again money wise I can get rid of boredom via The Bank here in town. Can you get fingerprinted at the MVA plus get the pic done there at the same time? Or do I have to go to 2 different places, MVA and my pick of Bel Air place or Elkton place for prints ( which I again have to go look up...)? I already have owned handguns before 10/1/13 and still have the MSP form copies for them, so that exempts me from the training requirement still, right? Can you print the app online and take it filled out to any MSP barracks? (There's one in North East). Do the pics and prints first, then go to MSP barracks in person with app and pic?

In Harford Co, you can go to the MVA office in Bel Air for the fingerprints. You have to call the MSP and make an appointment.

No picture required, the pull your last DL photo off the system.

All you need is the serial number off a regulated firearm that you own to be exempt from the training.

You apply all online. NO paper apps needed.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    I got my HQL card in the mail on monday 8/25, i did my fingerprints and applied on monday the 18th.

BTW, is it just me or is the HQL card the ugliest cheapest POS you've ever seen? i mean my college Id's looked more legitimate than this thing

Worm5406

Nov 19, 2013
    Indian Head
    I did the same, friendly e-mail (Mon late afternoon) asking if there was anything I messed up on with the tracking numbers. Got an e-mail (Tue early am) back stating no everything was good. System updated late Tue with completed. Yeah!

#0110xx

Ohh dates:

8/04 Fingerprints
    8/05 Clicked complete on application
    8/06 All completed except CJS NCIS
    8/25 pm -- friendly e-mail sent
    8/26 am -- response that all was ok with paper work
    8/26 pm -- Active

Now to see how long it takes to get mailed to me.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Who do you call to get MSP appt for prints at Bel Air MVA? Is there a specific # for just that? Is it MSP who does the printing there generally?

Looks like my worst hitch in all this is the livescan appt, rest is online work. Do you pay the 50.00 online too? How do you pay the livescan fee- at the appt/place? Checks only?

Link for the HQL app form?

Worm5406

Nov 19, 2013
    Indian Head
    Who do you call to get MSP appt for prints at Bel Air MVA? Is there a specific # for just that? Is it MSP who does the printing there generally?

Looks like my worst hitch in all this is the livescan appt, rest is online work. Do you pay the 50.00 online too? How do you pay the livescan fee- at the appt/place? Checks only?

https://emdsp.mdsp.org/egov/Login.aspx

There are links right below the login information about the fingerprinting, and who is authorized to perform it.

Feb 28, 2013

I don't think so. Whenever I renew my hazmat endorsement it's never a trooper doing my prints.

Looks like my worst hitch in all this is the livescan appt, rest is online work.

If you're up to the hike, here's who I used. No appointment necessary, and they take cash.

http://www.absoluteisi.com/fingerprinting.html

Do you pay the 50.00 online too?

Yes. You have to pay the MSP when you do the app.

How do you pay the livescan fee- at the appt/place? Checks only?

See above.

See Worm's link. You must create an account though before you can proceed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom