• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dowagiac

S&W Member
    Aug 3, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Looking for a good mid level AK to buy before the ban goes into effect and do some upgrades later when money permits. What are some recommendations? Thanks..

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Hate to say it, but probably whatever you can get your hands on. There's one in the classifieds here.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Tats about it for on the shelf stuff. If we weren't up against a deadline, Borinco actually mad very good ask both pre and pst. They only got rushed towards te end.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    Get whatever you can find at this point. You can't get anything transferred in time, so it is whatever is in state.

Ideally, a chrome hammer forged barrel is what you are looking for. That means an imported barrel. It should hold up better to the cheap surplus ammo. The U.S. barrels aren't CHF which means you'll shoot them out a lot faster and swapping the barrel on an AK is not a simple thing.

If you can find an Arsenal great. Or see if Engage has any more of the 74 builds in 5.45 left if you don't have to have a 7.62.

Dowagiac

S&W Member
    Aug 3, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    I was asking about the Yugo because Duffy has some in stock. Buying an AK is turning out to more difficult than I thought. Will have to hit some shops this weekend.

Ender

Jan 9, 2011
    There is definitely pros and cons on Yugo O-paps, it may or may not be the rifle for you. They are Zastava factory built guns from Serbia so the build quality is relatively good and and uniform. They are imported by Century, who replaces a few parts to make them 922r compliant(pistol grip, tapco g2 trigger, etc) and opens up the mag well to accept standard AK mags. The earlier N-pap series had some weird single stack bolt and were known for feeding issues but O-paps corrected that with standard bolts.

Yugo AKs differ from standard AKs in a few ways. First the furniture is different so standard AK stock sets won't fit, limiting aftermarket accessories. Standard stuff won't fit but there are a few accessory makers out there and adapters to make normal AK buttstocks work on Yugos. Second the receiver walls are much thicker, 1.6 mm compared to 1.0 mm on standard AKs. I've read this is due to the fact that Yugos were originally made to shoot a rifle grenade that the Yugoslavian military adopted and it was too hard on normal receivers. Also, it uses a beefier RPK trunnion, Pap rifles have a distinctive bulge in the front. This makes for a very solid but heavy AK, I think it is like 9 lbs unloaded. Lastly, Yugo barrels are not chrome lined from the factory so are less corrosion resistant than standard AK barrels.

I just took mine home yesterday from my FFL, they were $549 from J&G sales like 3 weeks ago and the differences aren't dealbreakers for me. Mine is a very solid gun and I haven't found any issues yet.

ziptiespec

I picked up an M+M M10-762 a few months ago as my first Kalashnikov. It has a CHF, chrome-lined barrel and I'd consider it a good middle of the road AK-style rifle. It was $594 but I haven't seen them for sale recently.

Have a budget of around a $1000.00. What is the quality of the Yugo M70 O-PAP?

I can't answer about the O-PAP but with your budget you could pick up a sporterized Saiga and convert it yourself. Classic City has them for $450

http://www.classiccityfirearms.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=253

CHF, chrome-lined barrels. Made by Izhmash in Russia so the quality is top-notch. A conversion requires a level of comfort with the idea of grinding out rivets, etc. and can cost as little as $150 or as much as you want.

I picked up a Saiga in both 5.45 as well 7.62 for future conversion. They should be fun little projects.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    There is definitely pros and cons on Yugo O-paps, it may or may not be the rifle for you. They are Zastava factory built guns from Serbia so the build quality is relatively good and and uniform. They are imported by Century, who replaces a few parts to make them 922r compliant(pistol grip, tapco g2 trigger, etc) and opens up the mag well to accept standard AK mags. The earlier N-pap series had some weird single stack bolt and were known for feeding issues but O-paps corrected that with standard bolts.

Yugo AKs differ from standard AKs in a few ways. First the furniture is different so standard AK stock sets won't fit, limiting aftermarket accessories. Standard stuff won't fit but there are a few accessory makers out there and adapters to make normal AK buttstocks work on Yugos. Second the receiver walls are much thicker, 1.6 mm compared to 1.0 mm on standard AKs. I've read this is due to the fact that Yugos were originally made to shoot a rifle grenade that the Yugoslavian military adopted and it was too hard on normal receivers. Also, it uses a beefier RPK trunnion, Pap rifles have a distinctive bulge in the front. This makes for a very solid but heavy AK, I think it is like 9 lbs unloaded. Lastly, Yugo barrels are not chrome lined from the factory so are less corrosion resistant than standard AK barrels.

I just took mine home yesterday from my FFL, they were $549 from J&G sales like 3 weeks ago and the differences aren't dealbreakers for me. Mine is a very solid gun and I haven't found any issues yet.

When they were on sale for $499 from J&G they were a flaming deal, even if you had do do some tweaking. We all get obsessed with chrome lining, but reality is it doesnt do much in a world of non-corrosive ammo. If you get corrosive surplus you just clean, clean clean!

Rabu Rabu

Operatoroperatoroperator
    Sep 10, 2012
    Cambridge, MD
    I was asking about the Yugo because Duffy has some in stock. Buying an AK is turning out to more difficult than I thought. Will have to hit some shops this weekend.

Yugos are great, even from Century, check out the usual suspects, front sight cant being the most common, but that's a habit I have from every AK I haven't built, I even test Arsenals.

Best way to test for a canted sight is to set the rifle upside down on it's rear sight and use the ears of the front sight and then wiggle the rifle to see if it's uneven, a little movement is okay as some sights are adjusted to remain center, but too much is bad.

I say this simply because I've seen even century Yugos with the WASR problems of canted sights, but if you get one that checks out get it, Yugos are great and will last you forever.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD

I was considering one from Duffys as well but considering they sell for $500-600 online I cant just go hand a shop $850 because they have it in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom