• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I started to look for some marks and there are some faint ones on the side plate, but rust covered/distorted. I did notice the but plate is marked.

View attachment 216883

Must have belonged to the same guy who had this sword:
    http://www.stewartsmilitaryantiques...s-light-cavalry-sword-qoryc.26001.archive.htm

Apparently it stands for some variant of this:
    1843 the Queen's Own regiment of Yeomanry Cavalry.

Gun Picture
    https://www.antiqueswords.com/product/BQ812/British-Yeomanry-Cavalry-Carbine-Dated-1844.html

See: "British Military Firearms 1650-1850" by Blackmore for much more info.

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The first thing I did was make sure there wasn't a cap still on it. Then I checked the bore. The rod goes in as far as the rod is in the picture, so I'm assuming there's something in there and treating it as loaded. My $13 bore camera doesn't show much.

What do you think?

View attachment 216889

View attachment 216890

Yes it is loaded! A friend of mine handed me a modern muzzle loader barrel and said "Be careful it's loaded." It took me three hours to get everything out and I am sure yours has been in place much longer.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    It looks like this gun must have started out as one of those. I found a listing for a Pattern 1844 Yeomanry Carbine and everything pretty much lines up except for the barrel. It looks like it has defiantly been replaced. I found another sword article that stated that QOR YC - Queens Own Royal Yeomanry Cavalry.

Now if I could just figure a way to de-rust the lock plate and see If there is anything readable.

...without getting blown up.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    It looks like this gun must have started out as one of those. I found a listing for a Pattern 1844 Yeomanry Carbine and everything pretty much lines up except for the barrel. It looks like it has defiantly been replaced. I found another sword article that stated that QOR YC - Queens Own Royal Yeomanry Cavalry.

Now if I could just figure a way to de-rust the lock plate and see If there is anything readable.

...without getting blown up.

Do some reading it works.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=electric+rust+removal&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Spray PB Blaster or your choice into the nipple and barrel,let soak for a few days. Cool project.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    So the penetrating oil is mostly to disable the charge?

That's what I would use it for, and to lube the projectile as it is removed.

I don't see or didn't notice what your intentions are with this rifle, whether you want to shoot it eventually or you intend it for a wall hanger.

I would either buy a new rod and a puller or try to remove the nipple and use a compressor to blow the load out. May take quite a bit of pressure to do this and you need to be sure to point it in a very safe direction while doing this.

Have fun and good luck.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I'm not sure about what to do with it. Unloading is step one. As rusty as the barrel is, I'm not sure if I could trust it. So at the very least it will be a wall hanger. As bubbafied as it is, I doubt it's worth very much, but I wouldn't want to destroy something that might be historical. I don't know if I should try to restore it or leave it with it's current patina. The stock is pretty busted up, but the repairs are very old nails holding it together. All I know about it is that it's been sitting in an attic for the last 50 years.

Any experts in civil war firearms around these parts?

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Nice detective work

You sure are doing some rapid fire posting in multiple, random, and in some cases old threads today. Are you bored or is there an ulterior motive because when someone is new and they suddenly ramp up the post count in that way it looks suspicious.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    You sure are doing some rapid fire posting in multiple, random, and in some cases old threads today. Are you bored or is there an ulterior motive because when someone is new and they suddenly ramp up the post count in that way it looks suspicious.

What wondrous items will appear in the Classifieds?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County

What wondrous items will appear in the Classifieds?

I've got a hunch it's a old member that hasn't posted in awhile, Heinz57 if you get my hint. I might be wrong but some of their post seem to have an odd similarity. Time will tell.;)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The term " Bubba'ed " as a pejorative is a recent phenom.

Back in the days when Black Powder was simply gunpowder technology changed fast, needs were varied, donor guns didn't come in wide variety for most folks, and stuff actually wore out in normal usage , this is what everyone except very rich did. Gunsmiths and Blacksmiths with subspeciality in boomsticks were common .

After percussion caps became a thing, conversions were common, particularly if a lock was otherwise worn , and in need of replacing.

Tweaking a smooth bore musket to better handle as a fowling piece, no brainer.

Shortening was occasionally done on purpose , but probably more often as mitigation for damage from muzzle obstruction, or other damage.

And finally reboring with or without rerifling was a common service by 'smiths . Occasionally for larger cal for bear or western game if migrating. But usually after bbl is shot out enough to effect accuracy. Not uncommon for multiple rebores over a period of years.

Back in the muzzleloading era you didn't lightly throw a gun away over wear or parts. ( Unless you were affulent enough for a custom gun ) typically milsurp , or mass produced Trade Guns were modified to need, and repared and updated as required.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I think this rifle started out as Pattern 1844 Yeomanry Carbine. Everything lines up. The markings on the butt plate are Q.O.R. Y.C. 33 which Mr. Google said stands for Queens Own Royal Yeomanry Calvary.

Pattern 1844.jpg
    IMG_4122cs.JPG

Pattern 18544 a.jpg
    IMG_4123cs.JPG

Pattern 1844 B.jpg
    IMG_4124s.JPG

I think I see a crown! :rolleyes:

IMG_4130c.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads