• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The Mount Airy town council is looking to push through an ordinance to restrict firearms sales in Mount Airy. They added a discussion on the Planning commissions agenda, today, for discussion tonight. If they can get it to pass there, I'm sure they will ram it through next council meeting.

If you have some free time, please show up at town hall tonight at 7pm. They are expecting a large turnout from the anti-gun community.

If you don't know, the town council recently denied a homeowner's request to have a FFL home based business. For what I've heard, the homeowner is now suing the city.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    They had better have a lot of money for lawsuits. Town taxpayers like you are going to be royally shafted. Besides, wouldn't MD preemption restrictions apply?

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The town was stupid enough to elect kooks to the town council. The same town council who opted for a ridiculously-expensive town police force instead of sticking with resident troopers. A police force that claims after the fact it needs a 50% budget increase before it even gets going. Can you say "corruption", boys and girls? I know you can.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    One thing is for sure. The town was fiscally responsible the past several decades and saved up a large rainy-day fund. The new mayor and council are hell bent on pissing it all away in the next couple of years and have publicly alluded to those intentions. If the town people don't wake up soon, they're going to end up broke with huge tax increases.

This new anti-business stance highlights their incompetence.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mt. Airy does or a few SJWs on the board ?

It's a very small minority that were vocal when the guy wanted the home based FFL. Some others have seized on that momentum. The planning commission had actually created an ordnance with the guidelines for a home-based FFL and the town council voted it down.

The town was stupid enough to elect kooks to the town council. The same town council who opted for a ridiculously-expensive town police force instead of sticking with resident troopers. A police force that claims after the fact it needs a 50% budget increase before it even gets going. Can you say "corruption", boys and girls? I know you can.

Ever have a person running for office lie to you?

The public was sold a bill of goods. We were told they would replace the resident troopers with a small force equal to what we had, then as needed, build up the force over time. They hire the new topcop and proceed to give him EVERYTHING he asks for. We are now on the hook for 10 officers and I'm not sure how many police cruisers. Our new topcop was against the home-based FFL too.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    It's a very small minority that were vocal when the guy wanted the home based FFL. Some others have seized on that momentum. The planning commission had actually created an ordnance with the guidelines for a home-based FFL and the town council voted it down.

The public was sold a bill of goods. We were told they would replace the resident troopers with a small force equal to what we had, then as needed, build up the force over time. They hire the new topcop and proceed to give him EVERYTHING he asks for. We are now on the hook for 10 officers and I'm not sure how many police cruisers. Our new topcop was against the home-based FFL too.

The latest article in the town paper said how many cruisers they ordered IIRC. I don't remember the number though.

cdstraw

Oct 9, 2008
    Frederick County, MD
    I do not live in Mt. Airy, but if I did and was attending, the first question I would ask in relation to this motion is:

What problem is this solution searching for?

What event has created the perception that firearms should not be sold in Mt. Airy?

How much will our taxes be raised to fight this in court?

Food for thought...

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    One thing is for sure. The town was fiscally responsible the past several decades and saved up a large rainy-day fund. The new mayor and council are hell bent on pissing it all away in the next couple of years and have publicly alluded to those intentions. If the town people don't wake up soon, they're going to end up broke with huge tax increases.

This new anti-business stance highlights their incompetence.

You hit the nail on the head. Our town council has gone crazy with that money just sitting there.

They told us we could save money by getting rid of the State Troopers, now we are looking at way more for the lie than we are spending for the MSP.

The flatiron building needs $600,000 in repairs. Without any public input, the town council has spent $300,000 for a plan to tear the building down, close park Ave and build a 6 million dollar building to replace it. That is being done right now. They are not going to ask for permission. They are also considering building a multimillion dollar parking lot behind city hall. :mad54:

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

Well, the town should make demands to Frederick and Carroll counties and to the state that a special prosecutor be appointed to investigate for corruption and racketeering. I can almost guarantee the powers that be within the town knew well before the police force was voted on that *WAY* more money and resources were required than what the town approved. It has all the makings of a scam and could bankrupt the town if allowed to continue. Even more so if those town cops are given pension plans that the town is on the hook for.

The state troopers were a screaming bargain and the mayor and council knew it. With troopers, all the town had to pay was a flat fee per trooper. Zero extra cost for equipment, facilities, maintenance, training, or legal liability. Now the town is on the hook for all that and them some. No way has the mayor and chief been forthcoming about all the extra costs yet. I predict for the next budget that the requested increase for police force funding will be huge. If not, they will attempt to hide the costs as town overhead outside the police budget.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    I just called the Town Hall Arcamm--they said this Planning Commission meeting is not until NEXT Monday-the 30th.

It IS open to the public and is scheduled for 7:00PM

Here are the Committee members, I don't have any contact info:

Lindey Brown – Chairwoman (8/21)
    Leslie Dickinson – Vice Chairwoman (3/17)
    Bill Butts (9/21)
    Tony Falletta (4/18)
    Roxanne Hemphill – Alternate (10/17)
    Bob King- Council Liaison (2019)
    Judi Olinger (2/21)
    Patty Washabaugh (6/18)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members