• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'm sorry, but commercial printers that would support a high enough DPI (resolution) for fingerprints, are not economically viable for standard kiosks or typical home users, nor would the ATF accept such print-outs. For this to work it would be a process similar to Live Scan, in which the fingerprints are never physically printed to paper, but are solely collected / stored digitally.

MSP uses a pretty standard HP printer to print them onto cards.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    i belive IAFIS appendix F specs requires 500 DPI minimum with a maximum capacity of 1000 DPI.

Most laser printers are capable of at least 600 DPI resolution.

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Your average laser printer is capable of native 600x600 DPI, which is "good enough" by the 500 DPI standard.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    So I'm trying to wrap my head around this...I have an NFA Trust, and I am the only one on it since no one in my family can inherit my NFA items due to their location (CA). In the next few months I want to SBR three different pistols (29" of course). Do I have to submit six sets of everything (2 photos per + 2 sets of fingerprints for each Form 1), or do I have to submit once and I'm good for two years?

zxcvbnm

Jun 14, 2008
    You only have to accompany your trust document once every two years, but only after you get your first stamp back with the new rules in place. It's kind of a "whatever" clause. The NFA branch was probably running out of storage space with all the trust documentation :)

Just to dumb this down to my level, do I have this correct?

I buy an NFA item today. I have to send in photos and finger prints.
    I buy an NFA item exactly one year from today. I do not have to send in finger prints or photos.
    I buy an NFA item today + 2 years and 1 day, I have to re-submit pictures and fingerprints.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Just to dumb this down to my level, do I have this correct?

I buy an NFA item today. I have to send in photos and finger prints.
    I buy an NFA item exactly one year from today. I do not have to send in finger prints or photos.
    I buy an NFA item today + 2 years and 1 day, I have to re-submit pictures and fingerprints.

You will always have to submit prints and photos. For every individual item.

You will only have to submit a copy of your trust every two years. After your first approval under the new rules.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I'm not clear if the finger prints and the photo have to be "new" every time or if we can get a dozen finger print cards and be good for 6 forms.

The photo is supposed to be within the last 12mos.

Your fingerprints don't change. I have not heard of any requirements about them.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You will only have to submit a copy of your trust every two years. After your first approval under the new rules.
    Personally, I'd submit every time anyways. There's zero downside to doing so other than the cost of the copy, which is relatively negligible compared to the total cost of the package. In return, you avoid any potential BATFE screwups on judging timing or finding old copies of the trust.

As you said, the BATFE has clarified that you need the photos and prints for EVERY application, no matter when you file it or if you had something approved recently. Kind of a shame compared to the initial hopes that you'd only need to do that once every couple years, but not surprising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom