• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august_west

Mar 8, 2009
    Woodbine, MD
    Alright my fellow MD Shooters- time for an educational and intelligent letter to the editor in response to this article. I opened the Carroll County Times and came across the title "Assault Weapon Ban A Must". Now this was in the opinion section by one of the columnists. Opinion is one thing, but this writer has some serious facts wrong.

He writes, "Despite what the president of the National Rifle Association says, the AK-47 is a fully automatic weapon."

What this guy doesn't realize is that my Ruger 10/22 would be banned by his arguments!

Read the article and let's get some positive and educational letters/e-mails to the paper...here is the link to the online version:

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/articles/2009/04/23/news/opinion/opinion/opinion278.txt

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Despite what the manufacturer says, the manual transmission in his Volvo is a fully automatic transmission.

Douche bag.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I contacted him, let him know he made some errors and provided more accurate information. I also invited him to join me at Hap Baker some time if he was interested in target shooting. I did this because we need to reach out to the folks that don't understand and help them, not berate them.

sskijr

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2008
    Don't they check their statements before they print them? If you're gonna make the argument for or against, at least make your case with the facts. "Assault Weapons" are already banned as far as I'm concerned. You can't buy a full auto anymore without a license.

Next they're gonna ban all sports cars, because "We don't need them". Ughhhh

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I contacted him, let him know he made some errors and provided more accurate information. I also invited him to join me at Hap Baker some time if he was interested in target shooting. I did this because we need to reach out to the folks that don't understand and help them, not berate them.

oops, Sent an e-mail too, I hope he doesn't take offense to my insinuation that his parents are brother and sister:innocent0

august_west

Mar 8, 2009
    Woodbine, MD

Good point Vette! Your right, even though its frusturating, even maddening to read articles like this, we do need to reach out to people and educate them and assure them what our shooting community is about. Who knows, maybe after shooting a few rounds the shooting "bug" might bite them!:)

I need to remember to actively educate, rather then become negatively defensive- thanks for the reminder! :thumbsup:

august_west

Mar 8, 2009
    Woodbine, MD
    NP. Thanks for posting this link, I would never have known it was out there as I don't keep up with local papers websites that often. :thumbsup:

You know, it was totally by chance. I don't read the paper that much these days since I'm already online. But I just happened to flip through and the headline hit me- and then I checked to see if it was available online. I thought- this is a job for... MD Shooters! (Mighty Mouse music plays):lol:

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    Considering he says:
    ...the AK-47 is a fully automatic weapon. It has no legitimate hunting use. It is not the equivalent of the old bolt action military rifles I used in my pursuit of deer in Vermont and California, any more than an 18-wheeler is the equivalent of a pickup truck...

We limit the number of rounds carried in a duck gun to three, to protect the duck population. How about limiting the number of rounds in a shoulder-fired weapon to five or six? Are ducks more deserving of protection than people?

I have a feeling he's propably a bit of a Fuddish folk.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    I also emailed him. Gave him the proper info, my credentials, and told him he could feel free to email me in the future if he wanted to write articles about guns, so that he wouldn't be giving out false information.

thebullpupkid

Feb 6, 2009
    Right near the beach!
    He's not trying to spread his opinion, hes trying to generate ad revenue by printing an article to rile people up. Instead of contacting the writer, contact the editor and point out the glaring inaccuracies. If you must contact the writer, why dont you look up his address and send him a letter in the mail?

Mossyoak

Never enough
    Jan 5, 2009
    Ceciltucky
    I dont live in C.C. but agree with bullpup, If like my local paper there is a section where anyone can write a letter to the editor to be published. I beleive they only review them for content not inaccuracies. Someone living in C.C. should write a letter in response to this garbage stating the facts, invite anyone to join MD Shooters if they want to know the truth.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD

Thats exactly what people need to start doing. I sent him a very pleasant email calmly explaining how he was wrong, lol. Not in a condescending way, though.

He was in the military, and he thinks the AK47s everyone has here in america are full auto? Mmkay...

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    The use of fully automatic weapons by the mentally deranged is also a clear and present danger. We limit the number of rounds carried in a duck gun to three, to protect the duck population. How about limiting the number of rounds in a shoulder-fired weapon to five or six? Are ducks more deserving of protection than people?

Yes, ducks are more deserving of protection than people. I'll stand by that statement until you show me an instance of a duck attack in a duck-free school zone, or a duck wiring up a guy's nuts to a car battery simply because the guy slept with the duck's wife.

Ducks are decent people and deserve protection!

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Yes, ducks are more deserving of protection than people. I'll stand by that statement until you show me an instance of a duck attack in a duck-free school zone, or a duck wiring up a guy's nuts to a car battery simply because the guy slept with the duck's wife.

Ducks are decent people and deserve protection!

AFLAC!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom