• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    How about a revolver that's going to go boom every time? These high round count scenarios just blow my mind.
    No one is going to train so much to the point that it becomes "muscle memory", (hate that term), especially a wife.
    A hammerless revolver that won't snag and can be fired from under a blanket, pillow or full out contact shot during a wrestling scenario. Mama is not doing a malfunction drill on a slide that ate part of a bed sheet. And no one trains for that.
    Train the worst case scenario which is someone charging to you through the door and you just waking up. You're most likely not getting out of bed to make a shot.
    Great input. Thanks.

The wife will be getting my SP101 in her nightstand.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    How about a revolver that's going to go boom every time? These high round count scenarios just blow my mind.
    No one is going to train so much to the point that it becomes "muscle memory", (hate that term), especially a wife.
    A hammerless revolver that won't snag and can be fired from under a blanket, pillow or full out contact shot during a wrestling scenario. Mama is not doing a malfunction drill on a slide that ate part of a bed sheet. And no one trains for that.
    Train the worst case scenario which is someone charging to you through the door and you just waking up. You're most likely not getting out of bed to make a shot.

I have a 1911 and my wife has a S&W Model 10. If the two of us cannot hit a target with 14 rounds, we are dead.

I was shooting a few years ago with a young man who had a Glock 17. I have nothing against Glocks...I have owned one and I will probably own another. I was shooting with a S&W Model 27. He said something along the lines of anything with less than 15 rounds was worthless. I told him if you knew how to shoot, six was enough.

I am of the party that believe that, IF, I am to be in a situation where I have to shoot an intruder, there will be less than three rounds fired and it will probably be within 10-15 feet. I'm not looking to get into a shootout. I am looking to stop the threat to my family.

Like the internet meme says, in ten years, no one will be talking about tactics, equipment or magazine capacity. They will be talking about who walked away alive.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    People don't toss their partners fresh mags in real life :)

.....Unless you're Reba Macintire in the movie "Tremors".

This

Dont use a conversion kit. No matter what people claim, they are not reliable.

No, No, No!

Buy a new silde assembly and ejector and convert the G22 to a 17.

If you're goin' to be a convert, do this^^^.

Don't ruin this for the bedroom Commando's.

Yeah, he even adds more fun to the wet spot.:lol::lol2:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

In a shootout many years ago, a Deputy died with a hand full of spent casings in his hand. In trying to figure out why, his Department found that their training people were using large coffee cans at the range. As each course of fire was completed... The Deputy's spent casings were removed from their revolvers and placed into the coffee cans to keep the range clean. When this Deputy found himself in a real live shootout, his muscles reverted back to what they had been trained to do at the range. The Department realized that he died looking for a place to put his spent casings instead of reloading and getting back up on target.

This scenario was part of our training for a few years in the BPD requalification sessions. I'm not a fan of the term either... But then, I did not coin the phrase.

It is proven that the way you train WILL be the way you fight when you are under the stress of a life and death situation. Isn't this why you train in the methods you believe in?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    It is proven that the way you train WILL be the way you fight when you are under the stress of a life and death situation. Isn't this why you train in the methods you believe in?

Sure, but I also realize that the OP and his wife are not training that often to get to that point. That is why the keep it simple stupid principle should be followed. That's why I say revolver all day long for the "nightstand pistol".

I cannot find it, but have mentioned it a few times before highlighting the same thing. An officer (who also shot IPSC) was on camera in a restaurant during an armed robbery. He put his hands up in the air in the surrender position (like for many heats in competition), drew his pistol then fired. That is A LOT of practice, unfortunately the wrong practice in a self defense situation.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    At the simpleist end of this, feel free to put skateboard tape on the bottom of the extended baseplate.

I might trust a cal conversion IF the case head dimentions were the same. Different case heads would be for practice/ recreation.

And I'll leave any comments the more philosophical issues for another time.

giggity

Nov 8, 2013
    If you're worried about reloading then why not get the factory glock large mags? 20+ of .40 and 30+ of 9mm should do the trick. If that doesn't cut it then it's time to invest in a rifle.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Tons of good info and thanks everybody. I'll keep the .40 a .40. The rough tape on the mag is a simple solution, I like that. Hard to imagine having to reload and if it ever looks like it could be a possibility, the rifles will come out.

We don't keep anything in the pipe because we aren't trained/practiced well enough to be handing loaded Glocks back and forth in the middle of the night. I like the idea of more training. I can see some blue guns on the Christmas list. After our 2:00am visitors a few weeks ago, we realized the value of having solid game plans. Some "home invader" drills would be good idea.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Can't find the link but there is a mount that slips between the mattress and box spring. It holds a spare mag IIRC. One of these is used for a handgun and 2 are used for a long gun. This way she would have her own gun on her side of the bed with a spare mag.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Loading a gun in the dark under stress requires more training than handing a loaded gun back and forth, particularly if you store it in a holster. Dont worry about reloading. At all.

EODJoe

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Jan 15, 2013
    Carroll County
    I keep a Ruger SP-101 loaded with .357 HP within arms reach of the bed. That is only to allow me to defend myself on the walk across the room to the safe where I keep an 870 with a surefire fore end loaded with #4 buckshot. The wife can handle either gun in a pinch but is not nearly as trained as I am. The very large German Shepherd that sleeps at the foot of the bed also participates in any home defense scenario.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Tons of good info and thanks everybody. I'll keep the .40 a .40. The rough tape on the mag is a simple solution, I like that. Hard to imagine having to reload and if it ever looks like it could be a possibility, the rifles will come out.

We don't keep anything in the pipe because we aren't trained/practiced well enough to be handing loaded Glocks back and forth in the middle of the night. I like the idea of more training. I can see some blue guns on the Christmas list. After our 2:00am visitors a few weeks ago, we realized the value of having solid game plans. Some "home invader" drills would be good idea.
    Avail yourself and your wife of some training in the platform which you've chosen as your HD weapons. Learn (with unloaded or blue training pistol) to "quietly" pass the pistol to her in the dark...
    Loading a gun in the dark under stress requires more training than handing a loaded gun back and forth, particularly if you store it in a holster. Dont worry about reloading. At all.
    This^^^
    Passing a loaded/ready pistol in the dark is a move which can be done "quietly"... and safely, with practice.

OP,
    Racking a round into the chambers of two pistols in the dark WILL give away the fact that... you are awake, aware of the intruders presence, ARMED and in that room waiting... All the information that the intruder/s need to prepare their assault on you.

Also consider the fact that racking a round into the chamber is a critical part of loading. What happens to you, if the round does not go in properly... or if the slide does not go fully into battery? It's dark, stress levels are at their peak, how would you see or know about the malfunction?

To prepare yourself for a proper defense...
    • you must plan an assault on your position, try to think of everything you may do if you were the intruder.
    As such...
    • you must consider what any defender would most likely be doing which may give you any advantage over them.

THEN... plan to defend against doing those things.

Remember, the intruder most likely knows that you are home. They are quietly sneaking through your house and listening for any noises that you make. Now... Go into another room... Wait quietly... listen... while you have your wife rack the slides on your two pistols as if loading them in the dark bedroom. You'll see/hear what I mean...

Placing yourself into the mind of an attacker can help you to prepare a viable self/home defense.

punchBIGholes

Nov 29, 2011
    Catonsville
    Skateboard grip tape on the baseplate of the magazine would be a cheap quick fix. But having a lonewolf barrel that you can shoot cheap lead reloads out of pays for itself pretty quick if you shoot enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nestor875

Latest threads

Top Bottom